Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:21 pm

Renée,

Very beautiful breads !! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Enjoy ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:18 pm

Well, I made Alexandria's Piccata tonight and it was delicious! The lemon flavour came through nicely. I forgot the parsley. :oops:

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 am

Renée. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Absolutely exquisitely sublime ..

Thank you and have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:18 am

Hey, Renee. Nice one.
The sauce looks lovely too.

I'd like to make grilled aubergines today.
But our cooking is tripping the electrics ... involving reprogramming clocks and computer restarts when it happens.
I wonder why it's doing that.

So I'll have to cook something on the gas hob.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Friday: Today was a lovely Spanish regional lunch, very simple however, lovely .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Fresh fried " Anchovies " called " Boquerones " which were exceptional and to start was a salad with hard boiled eggs, tri color lettuce varieties, red tomato, ventresca (white tuna belly) and a light and wonderful Vinaigrette ..

Saturday: Our norm at home is a Pasta however, tomorrow we shall be doing some shopping (assorted, from Le Mercat de La Boqueria Central Market to the Shopping Centre for some spring items and books)

So, we shall be grabbing a bite out at a fave authentic Lebanese tiny tiny tavern, at the Diagonal By The Sea ..

Sunday: Home sweet home and relax and household chores, so a Pasta Lunch ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:30 pm

Saturday: Lebanese Hummus & Bhabaghanuj ( Aubergine Tahine Mezze ) .. at a fave tiny Lebanese Tavern at the Diagonal on the Sea Shopping Centre ..

Always an amazing pleasure here ..

Sunday: Shall be our Pasta Day at home ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:02 am

What lovely meals you're been having, Alexandria. I envy you your Lebanese restaurant, but at least I can cook the food.

I've had a very unhealthy day foodwise, because I've been gardening, so must do better tomorrow! :oops:

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:23 am

Renée, Good Evening, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, I am a grand fan of Lebanese cuisine and Moroccan cuisine as well ..

I prepare a wonderful Hummus too however, we had so much shopping to do, so we grabbed a bite out today ..

I prepare a marvel of a hummus, very traditionally ..

200 grams of dry chick peas ( smallest size possible ), soaked overnight in un-salted water ..

1 médium sized minced garlic clove

salt to taste

2 heaping tablespoons of Tahine ( added to ingredients, and then I use a stick stand up mixer ) ..

We prefer our hummus thick verses, watery " purèed " ..

the juice of 1 large lemon

1 / 2 teaspoon cumin ground

1 tablespoon of Baking Soda ( place in the water with the beans that are being soaked overnight as it tenderises the chick peas )

Water to just cover the soaking beans overnight

Spanish Light Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil )

fresh minced parsley for garnish

And i pick up some Moroccan Bread similar to a pita but freshly baked at the Moroccan Kiosk at the Market ..

Have a lovely evening,
:wave :wave

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:41 am

Good morning Alexandria!

Your recipe is very similar to the one that I make, but I have been using canned organic chick peas. I do have dried, so will use those next time. I used slightly more cumin than you do because I like the flavour. I really must make my own flatbread too, so will look up a recipe.

Thank you for your recipe and method! :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:37 am

Renée, Good Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup

I am a grand fan of flatbreads .. I make Ligurian Focaccia quite often ..

However, I shall ask the Baker where I purchase my Moroccan flatbreads, for a recipe ..

Have a wonderful day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 am

Here's a very pretty plate of hummus, Renee ;-)

Just waiting for the dough to rise for my homemade pittas, a big bowl of hummus made in readiness.

Re: What's everyone eating this week? I then

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:01 pm

We had moules frites on Thursday. A fairly rare treat. M and I can manage a full barquette of moules -ie 2 kgs . It is no possible to buy fresh organic moules in these parts. So rather than waste then I cook them all with a little white wine, shallot and herbs and we consume half with frites HM of course.

I take the rest out of their shells and drain and reserve the cooking liquor. They stay overnight in the fridge and next day I make them into a New England style chowder. Another meal in itself.

Last night we had another treat. At the butcher/traiter in the morning they had the famous dish of Marseilles - Pieds et Paquets. I also found some very new potatoes which were simply scrubbed and steamed to go with them and mop up the delicious sauce We just had local strawberries afterwards.

Out for lunch today with friends. We are in for a busy week next week. Out again on Tuesday and we are entertaining on Thursday and again Sunday. It's a strange thing but having spent a quiet winter, as soon as the temperature goes up and the sun comes out the invitations and guests come flooding in :lol:

That plate looks lovely Renee :yum

Have a good Sunday all.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Yesterday I gave a course on "Mughlai Cuisine" - delicious dishes with cream, nuts and spices!!
The surprise guest was a TV presenter, Shia Bertoni, who took a million photos and thus mapped out the day for me:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhkYMLulWAc/?taken-by=shiabertoni

To further add to the success (16 participants), the 2nd Secretary of the Indian Embassy turned up, so I got to cook for a really demanding client!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:01 pm

:clap

EDIT:

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm in shock here, Sakkarin! I recognised that dish from Sainsbury's and the plate underneath! :o My photo indeed! I had completely forgotten that I could create something that looks so good! The flat bread was bought, I'm afraid.

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:22 pm

What lovely food you had Joan! I think that I would enjoy Moules Frites, having only tried moules on one occasion in Normandy. It has been a very long winter, so I hope that you enjoy your time with your guests.

What a wonderful occasion that must have been, KK with your VIP guests! Mughlai cuisine, cream, nuts and spices, what's not to like! :clap Thank you for the link and the lovely photo!

Alexandria, thank you, I would love the authentic recipe for the flatbreads.
Last edited by Renée on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:06 pm

Sakkarin & Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

What a stunning plate presentation .. :clap :clap :clap

Have a lovely evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:14 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Just adore moules (mussels) ..

Wow, now we are thinking of stepping out for some steamed mussels in white wine !! ( 19.10 ) ..

A bit early yet ..

Otherwise, we shall have for lunch tomorrow ..

Have alot of emails to answer !!!

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 pm

Sounds very interesting, Karakoolaide .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a nice evening .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:56 am

Clive!!!
Nice one, squirrel.

She really is a fan, reading her write up for you, although I don't know her. She's really got stars in her eyes.
You're right to feel very proud of yourself.

I'm eating light this week as I've got a family wedding coming up.
And I don't want to look like a sack of potatoes.
Walked the Malverns at the weekend, and back to my HIIT gym work today. Coupled with protein foods like salmon, cottage cheese, avocados, chillies, bananas etc.
All of which I like. A lot.

Lovely views, but my feet were steaming in my boots.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox