Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Petronius » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:01 pm

Sorry Renée, just remembered you use frozen halves. OH says, she never knew you could freeze them – thank you. Neither do we add chilli – OH is barred from spicy ingredients, she obeys, mostly. Scoops out the inside, mashes with a touch of black pepper – to misquote a phrase, nothing added and nothing taken away, apart from the skin and stone.

Jeral, no she just follows what her Mum used to do. Frying pan with water boiling, not fiercely (that's my mistake) but with bubbles. Eggs cracked into the pan gently – no idea of time, flicks water over the top and voila.

Not sure which sauce you mean, I put oil and white wine vinegar into a shaker, plus tsp of Dijon, season and shake.

Postby Renée » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:52 am

Dennis, I bought a couple of bags of ready frozen avocado halves from Tesco, but they were out of stock when I checked earlier, but should be getting some more. Iceland have packs of frozen ready sliced avocado. When I use them, I just thaw them for a few seconds until they are mashable!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /289890009
Last edited by Renée on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby jeral » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:05 pm

Petronius wrote:...[clip]...

Not sure which sauce you mean, I put oil and white wine vinegar into a shaker, plus tsp of Dijon, season and shake.

Oops, it was Nigella's sauce I meant. She melted butter gently until nutty brown then added her Turkish smokey chilli flakes. A shallow dish to serve, putting in the avo, the poached egg on top and the sauce over and around "like a moat" she said.

Thanks to Mrs P and yourself for the poaching info :)
I've just bought a new non-stick small wok which ought to be perfect for depth. If it doesn't work (due to my incompetence) I won't be able to blame the pan :lol:

The wok is called a flip pan as it's higher opposite the handle so as to slide the food towards and up then deftly flip it over. I'm delighted with it so far: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LYKO1DU/ ... 11_TE_item
I've only flipped pancakes so far 8-) not stirfry bits which usually land everywhere, but no excuse now.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:32 pm

jeral wrote:...I've only flipped pancakes so far not stirfry bits which usually land everywhere

I was taught at college to practice with chick peas to get the action right. Unfortunately I'm all out of chick peas, so I improvised with macaroni, and it does the trick too! I made a video to show you, it's a sort of a double flick with a slight circular movement before you lift the peas/macaroni.

Anyway, it is a lot less messy than practising with hot wokky stuff!

The frying pan is more tricky because you've got a smaller lip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP4aeu4uYhM

Postby jeral » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks for the flip technique video Sakkarin. I'll see how soon I can graduate after practising to dry rices which don't scamper away like lentils or frozen peas do. It screams out that some salsa tempo music is required, thus to pretend it's one half of a pair of maracas since it's all in the speed and timing (versus the slow and leisurely rattle of my rainstick).

A big difference with my new small (20cm/8") wok is that it is definitely lighter in weight and, although a weakling, I can lift it well enough even with one hand to achieve the flip movement. It's probably lighter because the heavy base area is only 13cm/5" so is much smaller than a normal frying pan.

Anyway, tonight's food urge is baked (veggie) stuffed conchiglioni pasta shells which are like huge baskets. Or lasagne by any other name if I lose the will to live after trying to stuff the shells once they've collapsed after boiling them to al dente.

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:08 am

Thanks very much for that video, Sakkarin. I will have a practice with chick peas, which I do have. I don't have any problems flipping pancakes and haven't lost one yet! :lol:
Last edited by Renée on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:14 am

One cod, without potatoes, I think that's for you madam, or may I call you Gill? :D

Cod.jpg
Cod.jpg (156.04 KiB) Viewed 4286 times

Saturday coffee in a local deli, know the owners well. Noticed lunch menu included baked haddock with cucumber 'spaghetti'. My eyes rolled. Chef owner said he likes cucumber with fish been doing it for twenty years. So I tried it. Not for us. Radish. We love 'em raw so ... won't do those again.

However the cod was lovely, thick white and flaked apart nicely. The sweet corn with the peas, because we had half a tin left over from a OH's Friday chicken pie.

Baked apple to follow - Saturday we allow ourselves dessert! Especially when we now have three bags of apples that lovely people have given us.

Postby Amyw » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:57 pm

That fish looks beautiful, i could just tuck into that righg now

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Yesterday we had baked eggs Florentine for lunch, followed by grapes.

Last night it was chicken liver and wild mushroom gougerre with a salad follwed by rum flamed bananas and vanilla and caramel icecream.

Today we had a HM chicken liver parfait wrapped in local cured ham with a watercress and orange salad.
Slow roast pork belly with braised red cabbage and pommes Anna
Cheese
Le Porat (Normandy pear tart with walnut pastry and thick cream) with a glass of ice-cold poire William eau de vie

Postby Renée » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:31 am

What a lovely plateful of food, Dennis! I really must improve my cooking.

That all sounds delicious, Joan. I love eggs Florentine.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:18 am

That'll do very nicely, Dennis.

Just an omelette yesterday. But today is meatball day!

:balls

Your porat tart sounds wonderful, Joan.
How did you make it please?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi Gill.

For a 7-8inch flan tin.

2/3 firm ripe pears - traditionally Williams but I find Louise Bonne work better. peeled cored and quartered

Pastry 8 oz flour
5 oz butter
4 oz caster sugar
2 oz walnut halves, finely chopped
1 egg
1 tbso (is) water

double cream or thick creme fraiche

I use the cheats method and put all dry ingredients in the food processor and whizz until mixed then add the egg and whizz again with enough water to make a stiffish pastry.

Chill in fridge - can be overnight. Then divide into 2/3rds and roll out. Line your buttered tin and arrange the pears in a single layer. Roll ot yhe top and cut a circle out of the middle - about 4 ins diameter.
Cover the pears then brush top with water and sprinkle with a little more sugar.

Bale at 160C until golden and crisp - the pastry will sink to partly surround the pears. Cool completely then fill the hole with whipped cream or, I think better , thick creme fraiche.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:16 pm

Yesterday's Korean beef and mushroom stew was gorgeous.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Taht looks gorgeous Sakkers. Let us know when you are making it again :yum

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:20 am

Will do Joan!

Yesterday made Ham and Mushroom Gougere prompted by the Croquembouche thread. Far from perfect, but many years since I made choux. It rose like crazy! The filling was delicious. It's a bit lopsided because my oven is not very good - the front is colder than the back.

That's a biggish, about 150mm souffle dish by the way.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Bibimbap again today after a fab bowl of it yesterday. Piccy of the ingredients as I've already posted the dish piccy before. Marinade for beef in the mortar has 6 ingredients, marinade for veg with red spoon has 7 ingredients, red gochujang sauce has 3 ingredients. That's a raw egg in the glass bowl on the chopping board, proper Korean rice soaking in the saucepan. This lot will make one portion.

Postby Renée » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:29 am

Your cooking is amazing Sakkarin and I can tell that you have a great passion for it!

I haven't joined in recently, because I've been trying to empty my freezer a bit. I bought a small piece of British pork loin and marinated it in wine, olive oil and French herbs before roasting. It was delicious, along with the roast potatoes and spring greens. There's plenty leftover for today and some to freeze down.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Thursday 9th: Marmitako, a White Tuna Fisherman´s Stew from the Basque Country dating back to the Vikings.

Friday 10th: Restaurant and Market Shopping for weekend ..

Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th: The La Mercat de La Boqueria purchases on Friday shall be made into 2 lunches so I do not know yet .. Capon is in season, so perhaps a Roast stuffed Capon with dried fruits .. And a Cardoon or Parsnip Soup .. and / or Chicken al Chilindrón, an Aragonese dish with White Wine, saffron, tomatoes, red & Green bells, parsley, onion, choriceros dried peppers or freshly hunted pheasants or quails or guinea fowl ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:42 pm

@ Sakkarin,

Wow .. the mushroom / cheese Gourgere ..

Gorgeous .. Do you have the recipe ? Link ?

Have a lovely weekend ahead .. :crossed :crossed :crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Here's my college notes for the ham and mushroom one in the piccy below, Alexandria. The pastry bit is basically just standard choux pastry.

There's a link for the cheese gougeres on the croquembouche page - Simon Hopkinson is a very well-regarded food writer here, whose book "Roast Chicken and Other Stories" is regarded as a classic. I've linked the recipe here...

http://www.simonhopkinson.tv/recipe/38/ ... A8res.aspx

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox