Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:48 am

Oh - forgot - last night was chicken noodle stir fry, tonight will be Thai prawn curry & I'm about to start prepping a beef casserole for tomorrow - Autumn's definitely arrived - I even bought a ham hock at the butchers for soup in the week!

I've been lusting after grouse all week - none to be seen - 'tis the season - an excuse foe a trip out in the country I think!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 am

Saturday ..

I am preparing Greek Stuffed Red Bell Peppers for lunch today ( Saturday ) ..

Friday Evening .. My husband and I, and 2 dear Friends went to have Lebanese Cuisine at a tiny lovely venue .. Meze: hummus, babaghanuj, tabouli salad, on the premises made toasted Pita and falafel prepared with chick peas.

Have a lovely weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:35 pm

For many years, (far too many IMHO!) I have been striving to perfect a vegetarian burger. I think I must have downloaded at least 50 different versions. Only ONE was acceptable, and that was from the British Vegetarian Society: I recall it had chickpeas, tahini, smoked cheddar, hazelnuts and carrots. Anyway, yesterday, I was wondering what to do with some leftover Borlotti beans, so I smashed them up with a grated carrot, added some smoked goat cheese, a dollop of tahini, some red onion, a couple of chiles and some chopped coriander. Hmmm - tasted reasonable, but it was too sloppy.
Then I added about a tbsp of besan ( chickpea) flour. Mixed, perfect texture, fried up beautifully and didn`t break up in the pan! Whoopee!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:36 pm

We had HM celery soup and fresh rolls for lunch, followed by a pear each.

Tonight it is to be cheese and spinach souffle - the hens are over enthusiastic this week.

We're out for lunch tomorrow and there is enough soup left for supper if we feel like eating.

KK I could have done with your burger idea last week when veggie d-i-l was here. She did enjoy the falafels I made though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Best veggies burger I've had was one from Salah Brown, based on mashed beans (red or pinto) but the trick was to make the bulk mix freeze it an thaw it, then it held together OK
The recipe does not appear to be available on line

Trying to decide what to have tonight, possibly fish of some kind

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:11 am

I've tried freezing and thawing, Sue. Not convinced it works,because when thawing, there`s a load of water that appears. Friends of mine are real veggies- I`ve tried the "burgers" on the grill but they fall apart. The best way is to put them on two or three layers of foil. At least that seems to help maintain the form.
Still, yesterday`s effort was extremely encouraging.
I shall have to repeat it, of course, just to ensure it wasn`t a fluke.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:47 am

congrats on that burger, Clive.
I really like them made with puy lentils. I did have a recipe, that I kid you not, stayed together nicely. My personal tip is to miss out onions, as they can encourage the break up a bit. Just a thought.

However, I plain and simply like a very big tasty mushroom, with stuffing of choice, as a burger.
Especially with feta cheese in it.

Lush you are correct again. How does it feel.
I am now going to have to be a bit more diligent in the kitchen. My quest at the moment is to buy golden beetroots.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Sunday 10th:

Risotto with uncultivated wild Boletus Mushrooms from Lérida, Cataluna´s Pyrenées foothills ..

And a very simple salad of Rocket & Radicchio with a light green extra virgin olive oil from Tarragona and rasberry vinegar from Gerona.

Had a lovely Flamingo Rosé de Conde de San Cristóbal during meal and Espresso afterwards ..

Some fresh fruit a bit later .. :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:28 am

karadekoolaid wrote:For many years, (far too many IMHO!) I have been striving to perfect a vegetarian burger. I think I must have downloaded at least 50 different versions. Only ONE was acceptable, and that was from the British Vegetarian Society: I recall it had chickpeas, tahini, smoked cheddar, hazelnuts and carrots. Anyway, yesterday, I was wondering what to do with some leftover Borlotti beans, so I smashed them up with a grated carrot, added some smoked goat cheese, a dollop of tahini, some red onion, a couple of chiles and some chopped coriander. Hmmm - tasted reasonable, but it was too sloppy.
Then I added about a tbsp of besan ( chickpea) flour. Mixed, perfect texture, fried up beautifully and didn`t break up in the pan! Whoopee!

@Karadekoolaide,

Sounds marvelous !

I use chick pea flour to sauté fish occasionally or boneless breast of chicken ..
Chick pea flour is non - porous so it does not permit the oil to seep through your product ..

It is very common in Spain to do so, especially in the Cadiz Región ..

Thanks for the fascinating Vegetarian Burger idea ..

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 am

Monday ..

Today, I am planning to do some home made Venetian Minestrone and Karakoolaide´s Vegetarian Burgers ..

Need a few ingredients and herbs / spices so I am off to La Mercat de La Boqueria, our main market of Barcelona ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Typical Monday blues for me today, and can't decide what I want to eat.

Started with peanut butter and raspberry jam on a spiced muffin for breakfast.

For lunch I have smoked salmon, cream cheese and cucumber bagel.

But for tea I have no idea. I might do an omelette Arnold Bennett as I have some smoked Haddock in the freezer.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:24 am

Bit lost here too.
Wanting something lighter, but it's a bit fresh out there.

Last night was chicken, lardons, sourdough croutons salad. Luckily I left out the avocado, it would have been far too much

chicken salad.jpg
chicken salad.jpg (101.85 KiB) Viewed 6448 times

Postby Petronius » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 am

If it's any help KK, here's a Guardian article that may help, including Petare's Venezuelan 'chip butty' arepa.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... downndirty

It mentions a product called Seitan – looked it up; pure gluten.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Tuesday 22.30:

Today, we grabbed a quick Japanese lunch out close to the beach, on Passeo Maritum as we were so so busy at office ..

However, I have just sourced my ingredients for a jewel of a Persian Rice that I am planning to make on Friday ..

I purchased: pistachios, dried currants, golden raisins, cardamom, cumin, tumeric, and a subtle aromatic Irani long grain rice .. and double skin navel oranges for the zest .. and almonds .. Of course, I always have Saffron threads in the apartment ..

So, I am all excited to prepare ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Some super ideas here .. Slowly reading all the posts !

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Knocked together a Kedgeree for dinner tonight, and delicious it was, too.

Havent had it for ages.

PicsArt_1505764845494.jpg
PicsArt_1505764845494.jpg (122.83 KiB) Viewed 6390 times

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:54 pm

Mmmm..... kedgeree - can't remember the last time I had it either - & with proper poached eggs too!

I used to flake the fish thro' it - the skin is tough - that is haddock you've used there WWF?

Even if not - still looks good!

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Yep, smoked haddock, Lushy. The skin was peeled off as it was obviously soggy.

Its one of my favourite quick dinners with not much washing up.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:24 am

Monday: I am always off on Mondays, so, I prepared Boneless breast of chicken (pounded thin) Chicken Piccata with a rocket & radicchio salad with an Italian vinaigrette ..

Tuesday: Lunch @ Japanese Restaurant with client on Paseo Maritimo ..

Today, Wednesday: Lunch @ Bar Enigma with my husband and a Supplier - owned and operated by: Albert Adrià ..

:wino
Have a lovely day ..

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Last night I just couldn't decide what to make for dinner and didn't feel like doing a lot of prep/cooking so ended up making a salad of rocket, pine nuts, pomegranate seeds and sliced radishes, spring onions, mango and avocado. I dressed it with a mix of pomegranate molasses, raspberry vinegar and a bit of evoo then put a chargrilled chicken breast (flattened and done in the George Foreman) on top. I had it with fig and walnut bread (Lidl - divine!). So simple but I really enjoyed it.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:21 pm

Last night I made a kedgeree - largely because I got my hands on some decent smoked haddock - a rare event here. I was in half a mind to serve it poached on a bed of spinach with a poached egg on top but kedgeree won!

This lunchtime I made a tomato and goat cheese tart tatin and we had that with green salad.

A real treat for supper - our wonderful butcher traiteur had pieds and paquets this morning and it is months since we had them. I just have to add some potatoes and enjoy!

Tomorrow we are going to our friends newish restaurant to sample his autumn menu so more or less the weekend off for me!

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox