Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Pampy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:49 pm

Lovely looking plates of food - exactly the sort that I really enjoy.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:48 am

To be honest, we are eating out Friday and Saturday as we are both so so busy with our Easter tourism season, it is simply impossible to spend time in the kitchen this weekend ..

So, tomorrow evening Friday: Reservations are a must in Barcelona and Madrid as well ..

So we shall be having Lebanese in Diagonal by the sea .. A tiny nook and cranny Lebanese Tavern with some stunning hummus and Babaghanuj .. And a lovely Cabernet Sauvignon wine from Lebanon ..

Then, on Saturday evening, we shall go over to the beach for some Japanese on Passeo Maritimo ..

On Sunday, we shall have a pasta at home, however, nothing elaborate .. A Genovese Basil Pesto (I grow herbs on my terrace ) with Trenette, a Genovese Ligurian regional pasta.

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 pm

Today, Profiteroles!

Not the prettiest, but taste the biz, filled with chantilly cream, properly piped to the brim. The first batch of chocolate split, that really is one of the saddest kitchen disasters, just an oily grainy brown mess :-(

Below, yesterday's cooking, the Pork, Chestnut and Apple Pie mentioned in the Korean thread. OK, but a bit bland for me. I think I may have forgotten to put baking powder in the suet crust pastry, but it turned out like hot water crust, so no problem.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:10 am

Sakkarin,

Simply gorgeous pastries ..

They are quite popular in Madrid and have a cream filling ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:37 am

Sakkarin, the pie does look good, and filling I'd think. Being a French recipe, I wonder if they have spicy pickles as the English do explaining its blandness? Then again, I'd blather it with gravy if eaten hot. :D

Maybe Delia's later hgih temp choux recipe was to make them like little footballs, although thankfully Norwich's green & yellow isn't included ;)

Postby Renée » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:24 am

I do enjoy reading about what you are all eating and I made a bit of effort this week making Chicken Marbella, which involved marinating the chicken thighs overnight. It really is one of the best chicken recipes that I've ever made!

Last edited by Renée on Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:29 am

Wow!
That really is my type of cooking, Renee. What a delight.

(sorry, cannot see your dishes, Sakkarin).

Wild Foodie.
Enjoy your visits travelling, and eating. I always have calamares every other meal out when on holiday.
Usually not a problem to source, as we dig out sardinas for my husband at the same time, which is his holiday meal thing.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:38 am

Shall be headed up the Costa Brava on Wednesday evening for professional tourism season .. :wave :wave

So, this is a " do it yourself " week and restaurant & tavern or bar week " ..

Today, we shall go to a wonderful beach side Japanese which also has amazing salads ..

Wednesday, have lots to do for my trip (professional) so it shall be grab a bite at the bar near office or apartment .. A typical fried calamari & ali oli sandwich on Spanish loaf ..

My husband and I shall have a couple of tapas to share this evening .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely day. :lol: :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:40 am

Renée, :wave

Superbly splendid looking "Chicken Marbella" ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:38 am

Very nice indeed, Alexandria.

By the way.
I should be in Barcelona in July. I've booked on a landscape painting workshop for a week in the Sarria quarter.
I shall send you an email nearer the time - we might be able to have a coffee together if it's convenient for you.

We did this with Joan too, when we were driving in France near to her hameau. Cooo-eeee Joan.

We sometimes have little get-togethers when the time and location works out.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:10 am

Gilt the Painter, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Let me know as soon as you know your dates because this is high tourism season for us, and I may not be home .. And it is impossible for me to change the group tours as the dates are set and paid for .. 8-) 8-) :shock: :shock:

If there is any possibility, it would be a grand pleasure to have a café with you on an open side walk terrace !

Have a lovely day .. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:16 am

Yes, I'll do that for sure.
I haven't received the invoice yet to pay. As soon as that comes in, it is a firm booking that won't be cancelled.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:11 pm

Gilt the Painter, :thumbsup

Yes, please do advise asap (as soon as posible ) .. :wave

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:22 pm

Nice pic Renee!

Postby Renée » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you! All gone now sadly! :(

Postby jeral » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:01 pm

I'll share my tonight's gilthead bream if you like. They're like babies, i.e. lovely but you can't eat a whole one ;) It'll be baked soon with EVOO lemon parsley/thyme, served with a fried Bird's Eye potato waffle, also aub/tom/garlic/onion splodge from a tin by Bodrum, a Turkish brand, and worth getting if you can if you like Imam bayildi. A thyme/caper/bread stuffing bunged in the oven too, in a small pot since I've never successfully stuffefd the actual fish.

Talking of capers, I used smalls ones not much bigger than peppercorns, but a I have a jar of caper berries in the fridge that are almost the size of small grapes.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Holy Thursday: :thumbsup :thumbsup

Today´s lunch at the Hotel, I am staying at ( working): is an ancient Roman dish, consisting of chickpeas, dried salt cod, and fresh spinach prepared on a low slow flame in vegetable stock and served in clay bowls with hard boiled egg. It is very typical through out Spain and even Italy as well ..

Dessert, was the renowned Lent, torrijas which are similar to a French Toast .. :clap :clap

Postby QinNortham » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:45 am

Sakks, back tracking again. I have a recipe for French Pork Pie with Apple & Chestnuts. Think it is a Michel Roux and I'm afraid it's a bit vague but the meat element is gorgeous and I do have the amounts for that!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Would be interesting to see how it compares...

Postby QinNortham » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:01 am

Sakks, will find what I've got but not today, we are out. Made a version for our very picky French friends last year and it was very well received.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox