Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:09 am

Lovely views indeed Grilly! We did similar over a week ago in North Norfolk, only it was my knees that were steaming & screaming..........!

Fishy w/end here - John Dory on Friday & lovely sweet crab on Saturday - yesterday was comfort food cottage pie.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 am

Poor you with the knees.
Once they hurt, there's no calming them down.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Never 'done' the Malverns - it's on our must-do list - I know a few people who regularly go from here to do tons of walking in that area including my physio who was raised there, which explains a lot.............

:tiptoesanta my walk after a session with him............. :(

Postby Alexandria » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:41 pm

Monday Lunch: A Caprese Salad at a local Trattoria close to office .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Monday Dinner: We shared a lovely French Omelette downstairs at the corner Tavern and a salad ..

Tuesday: Shall be preparing oven baked fresh fish, my grandfather and dad & twin sons caught on Sunday .. I shall be working from home tomorrow ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave Magic1 Magic1 Magic1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:50 pm

Tuesday Lunch at home .. :thumbsup

The Menu was: :thumbsup

Romesco de Pescado ( Fish Romesco ) .. Fresh wild hake, prepared with a Romesco sauce ..

Romesco:

Place all these ingredients in a mortar and pound them .. Then, sauté them .. One can also serve Romesco Cool too ..

3 minced garlic cloves
1 slice of day old rustic country bread ( 20 grams )
10 Hazelnuts ( pound the hazelnuts in a mortar with a pestle )
Capsicum Annuuun variety ( 2 dried chili peppers ) called Guindillas ..
16 Almonds ( Pound the almonds in a mortar with a pestle )
salt (a pinch )
2 ripe tomatoes ( I used Raf Bio variety ) peeled and de-seeded
155 grams of shallots ( one can use onions of choice )
Extra virgin olive oil - 150 Ml.

Sautéed the ingredients in a skillet and reduced mixture into a " thick red salsa " ..

Served as a side to the fresh Hake .. ( merluza ) ..

A very common Catalan dish served on the Tarragona Coast and the Barcelona Coast ..

Have a lovely evening .. :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:15 am

Thanks for the romesco idea, Alexandria.
Always a lovely sauce!

Nothing too exciting here. Just lemony & black pepper chicken breast, with a leafy salad - lemon dressing.

Postby Renée » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:30 am

Thank you from me too, Alexandria! What a lovely recipe for Romesco sauce. I have all the ingredients, except for the fish and I need to shop this morning. My meals have become rather boring this week.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:56 am

Renée & Gilt The Painter, :clap :clap

Good morning Ladies ..

Thank you for the lovely compliments ..

It is very lovely .. And surely adds a bit of dynamism to white fish varieties ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:58 am

Wednesday .. Deciding on either Greek or Japanese ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby Renée » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:01 pm

I made Alexandria's Romesco de Pescado tonight. I was rather late starting the sauce and realised that I had a couple of red pointed peppers to use up, so I roasted them first and removed the skin. I realised that this would make the sauce slightly sweet, so I added a small amount of red wine vinegar. I left out the shallots, due to late starting, but added extra garlic, which I roasted in the skins along with the pepper.

I do like to follow a recipe exactly, so apologies Alexandria. I did read that there are different versions of this wonderful sauce, so didn't feel too bad. Everything was so delicious.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Renée, :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow ! Absolutely exquisite Renée.

It looks sublime splendid !!!

And you do such lovely art of plating ..

Thank you for posting .. :clap :clap

Have a lovely evening ..

What is exceptionally, that my mom and grandmothers, and my mom in law and two daughter in laws, and I, all make it just slightly different but all, are amazingly delicious !!!

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:53 pm

Have a wonderful weekend, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Friday: Japanese at a fave spot on beach front with office colleagues ..

Saturday: A home made Pizza Margharita ..

Came out marvelously .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Tonight we are having a vegetable lasagne with salad - there will be some fancy croutons in the salad in lieu of garlic bread on this occasion. I've also made a small chicken, bacon and dried apricot meatloaf/ terrine which we'll have cold tomorrow with salad and potatoes (there may be some left for Monday). I had this as a starter when we had a meal out recently and it was wonderful. I just hope I've managed to get near to the flavour of that one. Pudding for the next 3 nights is a rhubarb bread and butter pudding kind of a thing. We are having it cold with yogurt tonight.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:52 am

Mr. Strictly, :wave :wave

The vegetable lasagne sounds wonderful ..

Do you prepare your pasta from "scratch" too ?

Which veggies do you employ ?

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:51 am

Hi Alexandria

No, I don;t make my own pasta. I normally use dried but am also happy to buy fresh when the occasion arises. I did make pasta at catering college about 25 years ago, without a pasta machine. It was so hard going using a rolling pin that I vowed never to make it again, even with a machine.

The veg I used last night was as follows:

onions, garlic, yellow pepper, aubergine/eggplant, white mushrooms and tomatoes (both tinned and half a fresh one that was leftover from my lunch). I also add Worcester sauce, oregano and balsamic vinegar to the pasta sauce as well.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:33 am

Mr. Strickly, :thumbsup

I am big fan of aubergine & fresh pasta too ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:25 pm

Sunday: Good Afternoon, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Sunday: Today we are having wild Alaskan King Salmon on Hibachi grill on terrace ..

Shall be serving with Grilled veggies ( red Italian horn shaped peppers & courgette ) ..

Lemon, and ali oli in sauce boat and Romesco in sauce boat ( my husband ´s request ) ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

I made an asparagus veloute for lunch yesterday, using mainly the stalks of the asparagus I used on Thursday. - Waste not etc.

Last night I did veal escallops Valentino, ie with yet more apsaragus, morriles mushrooms and a little white wine and cream to make a sauce. I served it with courgette and potato pancakes. I thought it tasted rather good :yum

We are just back from one of our favourite restaurants and a brilliant lunch - and come back with a couple of recipes!!

Starter for bot was a fromage blanc moussse with finely diced cucumber and fines herbs and set on a parmesan crumble base. The plate was garnished with baby articokes in oil, local jambon cru and a beetroot relish.

My main was veal sweetbreads( riz de veau) cooked on hay and served on a puree of white carrots with fresh peas and , best of all, scattered with garlic crisps. It looked beautiful and tasted stunning. i would have taken a photo but M won't let me do such things in restaurants.

Dessert was macerated local strawberries on a choclate sable biscuit and a white chocolate mousse with strawberry sorbet on the side

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 pm

Joanbunting: Luvverly grub :)
I could eat the starter as a main and be satisfied, especially with a couple of extra artichokes.

By the way, how are "garlic crisps" made please?

Baked cod here today in a flavoursome tom sauce with aub plus panko'd spud croquettes (deep fried). I might make veg-filled Yorks Puds later to quell emerging withdrawal symptoms. Some sort of (frozen) mussel dish tomorrow.

PS: Does anyone know when our fresh crab season starts? I was thinking of buying some claws online, although if frozen maybe season is irrelevant unless it affects price? Ta.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:20 pm

Just reporting back to say that the rhubarb and raisin bread and butter pudding was lovely.

thanks Clare

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox