Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Renée » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Wildie, I do have some chorizo, made from Iberico pork, so will top my poached egg with a slice or two of it tomorrow. It does seem to have a lot of gristle in it.

Today, I have made the delicious Pomegranate Molasses Hummus. I love it!

Postby Petronius » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Looks good, Renée.

My goat stew turned out well. If I do it again, I'll increase the liquid (added 200g at the end) and check at about four hours instead of six. We couldn't identify a specific taste, daughter says it's more like mutton, even our butcher doesn't stock mutton now, so couldn't say. Lovely, said OH - that'll do for me. :thumbsup

Had a portion for lunch today - OH out with friends - and a portion in the freezer, so good value.

Postby Renée » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm glad that your goat stew turned out so well, Dennis! I haven't seen mutton around for many years, either.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:19 am

What a delightful plate, Renee.
Nice one.

Dennis, well done on the stew.
I shared a mutton order with a chum a couple of years ago. And each meal I cooked was better than using lamb.

Yesterday, I had mash to use up. Freezer to start to clear out, plus small bag of peas I'm sick of shuffling around. So prawns n peas got defrosted.
Prawn pea and curried potato cakes.
Onion and mint raita.
Salad leaves.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:53 am

We're very lucky; the farm at the top of the hill (who keep the cattle on the Meads) also do goat meat. I grow fenugreek on the plot and use the two for methi gosht.

They don't sell mutton but there's a sheep farmer on the way to Saint Evenage who sells it at the local FMs. I have known him to sell hogget too, but only the once. Maybe a sheep met an untimely end :shock:

Postby Renée » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:02 am

I would love those potato cakes, Gill! Do you fry them? I really must get out of that bad habit!!

Mutton must have so much more flavour than young lamb.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:07 am

Mutton is a taste of my childhood; it used to be more common, but then went out of fashion. It's nice to have it occasionally. I don't know if mutton sold in Halal butchers is the same thing.

Postby jeral » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:56 pm

@ Gillthepainter: I too would love to hear how you make your prawn & pea curried potato cakes please :) I got the urge yesterday for prawn/sesame toasts yesterday, but no prawns so was already planning to buy some today. I tend to buy spring onions as an automatic partner for prawns and I have a tin of baby sweetcorns, so it'll be something prawny for tea...

Postby Renée » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:10 pm

The crispy bacon made such a difference to my avocado on German toast today!

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:51 pm

Gill - They sound really tasty!!! Love a good clear out.

Last night we had baked spud with a chilli made from left over pulled pork. Was delicious.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:41 am

That looks really tasty, Renee.
Can't beat a good egg too.

The prawn cakes are baked in my house, turned once. I've never been a fryer if I can put something in the oven.

I pureed the peas and added 1 teasp homemade curry paste.
Pulsed the prawns, which still had some texture.
Mash, s & p.

(no onion, no egg). Coriander would be good if I had some.

The onion raita is lemon, red onion, mint left for an hour. S & p, yoghurt. Sometimes mango chutney but not this time.

Pretty basic, but worked nicely.

It's baked spud weather now, Foodie.
It's time to pack away my juicer and switch it for the air fryer on the counter.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:28 pm

I cooked a chicken on Wednesday and it lasted us until yesterday lunch time in various guises and, in fact, still survives as lovely stock in the freezer

Last night we had two neighbour friends to supper. They are batchelors and great fun.

As one is a pescatarian and other doesn' eat fruit in any shape or form I had to have a long think about the menu.
As it was Friday night I settled on fish and chips with "mushy" peas - ie minted pea puree. I found a peice of Stilton in the freezer so decided on broccoli and soup with HM baps for starters. Keeping with the Brit theme I made treacle tart and served it with clotted cream also dug out of the freezer.

It went down really well. We had English sparkling wine with cheese straws and somked salmon bits on brown bread beforehand and they couldn;t believe that the wine wasn't Champagne.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:20 pm

After a stag do this weekend my body feels in need of nourishment. With that and the sudden drop in temperatures in mind I am going down the warm and hearty route.

I have taken some oxtail from the freezer which will be prepped and put in my slow cooker for tomorrow loaded with pearl barley, leek, carrot, onion and some HM beef stock from the freezer (and a glass or 2 of Malbec). Tonight's tea will be a cottage pie served with cavolo nero, fine beans and roasted cauliflower.

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Forgot to mention Gill your photo of the tapas meal. We'd have loved that.

Renée, that avocado on German toast looks good to me, OH would prefer white bread and less tomatoes.

It's her Sunday tea time signature dish – though we add more salad, and sometimes she goes over the top, here's one produced to empty the fridge before going away. I did finish it but it was a struggle.

egg advocado.jpg
egg advocado.jpg (166.83 KiB) Viewed 4415 times

I notice two photos previously which have avocado which is a darker green than ours. Pure chance?

Frittata for yesterday's tea using up left overs, potatoes, sausages, bacon plus some bought mushrooms. Had the leftovers at lunch time today.

In a moment I'll do plaice fillets with no potatoes. Because ... Saturday evening made an apple crumble (daughter keeps bringing us apples!) which we'll almost finish tonight. :thumbsup

Postby Renée » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:20 pm

How lucky you are to get those lovely apples, Dennis!

I used the frozen avocado halves and just use one half, defrosted slightly in the microwave and then mashed with a little Greek ev oil. Do you add anything to your mashed avocado to make it pale green?

Tonight, I'm using my large sauté pan with lid to make a chicken casserole with thighs, dusted with seasoned flour, cut up onion and yellow peppers. I added potatoes too, so I just have to cook some cabbage and there will be sufficient for tomorrow.

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:35 pm

OH says no Renée. Tomorrow sometime I'll see if I've got a meal photo with avocados sliced so you can see the colour.

Postby Renée » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:08 am

Mind you there are different varieties of avocados. The very dark green part is just under the skin, so maybe they remove more of that.

I see that there are a few grapes as well as everything else on that plate, Dennis. I do like the use of some fruit with a chicken salad whether it's grapes or nectarines.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:48 am

Perfect eggs for me, Dennis. Thank you.

Wildie, I promise to keep the noise down.
We had mince yesterday too.
Plate pie, deep one - mince and dark gravy variety. Tony's struggling as he had 3 big pieces - I told him not to.

Postby Petronius » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:40 am

Renée, do you buy avocado paste? Here's the photo, the brownish sauce on the avocado slices is a balsamic based dressing.

Frittata.JPG
Frittata.JPG (190.86 KiB) Viewed 4366 times

Somewhere in there is a quarter of a frittata.

OH does poached eggs, first time, every time.

That pie sounds gorgeous Gill, sometimes a man has just got to do what a man has to do. :D And suffer late!

Postby jeral » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Petronius, I wonder if your OH does what Nigella did for her Turkish eggs, that is strain the watery element of the white off? Renée, tell us what you think of them please. (I'd have to figure out a sauce that doesn't have butter; maybe put the chilli in the avo.)

I think I'll try Nigella's trick when I fry them as I dislike the frilly white bit that spreads out even from under the silicone egg rings I bought especially to keep the white in.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox