Register

veggie version of Jose Pizarro's braised ham, peas and eggs

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

veggie version of Jose Pizarro's braised ham, peas and eggs

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:24 am

Hello everyone,

Just after Christmas I made the non-veggie version of the above dish, which was lovely. I promised the veggies on here that I would come up with a vegetarian alternative to it. Well, sorry for the delay but I have now done this to considerable success. We had this for our supper last night and it's going to become a regular weekday meal for us, because it's pretty quick to make. the ingredients are below, amounts will vary depending on how many are eating!

floury potatoes , frozen peas- defrosted first, red pepper, chestnut mushrooms, onion, garlic, evoo, paprika, eggs, veg stock (from a cube is fine) and either tomato puree ketchup or Heinz steak sauce (I used the latter), plus salt and pepper to taste if needed.

The method is below:

Peel and dice the potatoes. Chop the peppers and slice the garlic, onions and mushrooms. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the vegetables until they are starting to soften, then add 1/2 pint stock, peas, paprika and tomato puree or whatever you are using. Be generous with the paprika, I used 1 rounded teaspoon (not a measuring one). Bring to the boil and cook for about 8-10 minutes until all the veggies are tender. the potatoes will break down a little and thicken the 'gravy'. Fry or poach the eggs separately and serve on top of the veg mixture.

hope some of you give it a try and enjoy it as much as we did!

Cheers Clare

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox