Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:49 pm

So now, apparently, we have to worry about prok products from "supermarket X" which use Dutch and German pig meat being contaminated with some potentialy serious virus. Sunday times this morning. Lovely :clap :clap

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 pm

It didn't click when I read this earlier Joan, but now I've read an article about it, for heaven's sake whatever next.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -hepatitis

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:57 pm

re this latest pork scare - I do wish to powers that be were allowed to name and shame the supermarket involved, even if the blame is not 100% with them. As least us consumers can then make our choices as to where we buy our ham and sausages from! Personally, having eaten a lot of Asda's ham with no ill effects, I think we can rule them out of the equation though. This is bearing in mind that Mr Strictly has an autoimmune disease.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Hepatitis E?
When I trained there was A and B and non-A non-B
C is very well established as a problem but I know nothing about D, E or subsequent letters

Clare, I suspect the foods to avoid are those raw pork products from Holland and Germany rather than those from the one supermarket

Any pork you cook yourself should be fine, it seems with the same precautions as for raw chicken

Might think twice about cured but raw ham (and probably dismiss the thought)

It seems the illness is quite similar to generic food poisoning
Info here
https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/liver-information/liver-conditions/hepatitis-e/

Postby Petronius » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:30 am

Was tempted to start a new thread, but hought it might be appropriate to continue this discussion here.

Oh dear!

Gill's question on the Korean thread as to whether all tofu was vegan or not led me to have a google around, and I found this article, which reckons tofu is extremely dangerous, as most soy is genetically modified, much of it from a drastically modified version which has been adapted to be impervious to glyphosate, the weedkiller that has gained notoriety as "Roundup".

Great line from this very anti-tofu article:
"Without fermentation, what is tofu? It’s just a rubbery, white piece of questionable and health-hazardous non-meat protein."

https://draxe.com/what-is-tofu/

I haven't found the answer to Gill's question, although I guess it is dependent on what the curdling agent is in the line in the article - "tofu is made from soybeans, water and a coagulant (curdling agent)."

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 am

Zoiks!

:o

Postby Renée » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:54 am

That's put me right off tofu and just when I was thinking of using it!! Thanks for the links.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:59 am

Lordy, that's nutribollocks of the first order. :roll:

I shall not go on for fear of unleashing my inner Meldrew. I ought to go and dig some potatoes before I get grumpy. :D

In answer to the vegan question, I would think that it's almost certainly made with mineral salts, but having had a quick look, it can also be made with enzymes. Papain comes from papaya afaik, but other enzymes might be of animal origin, I suppose.

Postby smitch » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:05 am

Sakkarin wrote:Was tempted to start a new thread, but hought it might be appropriate to continue this discussion here.

Oh dear!

Gill's question on the Korean thread as to whether all tofu was vegan or not led me to have a google around, and I found this article, which reckons tofu is extremely dangerous, as most soy is genetically modified, much of it from a drastically modified version which has been adapted to be impervious to glyphosate, the weedkiller that has gained notoriety as "Roundup".

Great line from this very anti-tofu article:
"Without fermentation, what is tofu? It’s just a rubbery, white piece of questionable and health-hazardous non-meat protein."

https://draxe.com/what-is-tofu/

I haven't found the answer to Gill's question, although I guess it is dependent on what the curdling agent is in the line in the article - "tofu is made from soybeans, water and a coagulant (curdling agent)."

That article is designed to scare and most, if not all, the claims are untrue as far as I can tell. Soy does not cause breast cancer and GM foods are safe to eat. I wouldn't trust a source that has other articles on how to 'detox' the body and on using essential oils. The comments under the article are mostly calling the author out on his claims. He isn't a nutritionist or dietitian.

Postby Petronius » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 am

Cheer up Badger's Mate - it could be worse. :D If you click on one of his links he lists 21 health foods that are bad for us.

Perhaps it's got something to do with selling his book!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:11 am

I can be quite happy when I'm grumpy :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:38 am

Renée wrote:That's put me right off tofu and just when I was thinking of using it!! Thanks for the links.

I dont think you should let a self-serving nutter with a dubious line in made up stuff put you off good food

That entire website seems fairly ridiculous to me

Simple example, he says don't eat tofu because it contains phytic acid. Of course it contains phytic acid, soy beans are seeds, they all contain it! Eating nuts and seeds is generally good nutrition

There is no evidence that eating genetically modified corn or soy is bad for you, the real concerns are as I understand it more ecological

Gill I think I've tracked down the "non-vegan" thing, and it seems to be a misunderstanding. Some silken tofu contains a substance called glucono delta lactone (E575) which makes it extra silky.

Because of the word lactone people assume it is derived from dairy, but it is a plant product made from corn or rice

http://www.vrg.org/blog/2010/10/01/glucono-delta-lactone-is-an-all-vegetable-ingredient/

Postby Petronius » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:09 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:I can be quite happy when I'm grumpy :D

That's my line sometimes when OH has made a comment. :D

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:16 pm

"I'd rather grumble" is a common phrase at home. Both of us say it, always with a grin. :D

Postby Renée » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks Sue. I've just noticed that Dr Axe is selling supplements and a heading at the top says "My Rewards". Hmmm ..

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:29 am

Grumbling ........... it's my only pleasure.

Thanks for that Sue. Makes sense.
There seems to be an egg tofu too - but that's not got egg in it from what I can tell.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:07 am

No, I think egg tofu does contain egg, there's a Burmese version that's noticeably eggy

Egg noodles on the other hand may or may not contain egg, it seems the same term is use for noodles made with egg and egg [coloured] noodles

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:16 am

ah-Ha.
Thanks Sue.

Postby Petronius » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Renée wrote:Thanks Sue. I've just noticed that Dr Axe is selling supplements and a heading at the top says "My Rewards". Hmmm ..

About 30 seconds after opening that link up popped a message on how to order the book. Made me more than suspicious.

It's difficult to find out much about Dr. Josh Axe, DNM, DC, CNS, he describes himself as a certified doctor of natural medicine, doctor of chiropractic and clinical nutritionist. It seems to centre on us have leaky guts, which means toxins can get in as well as out. Didn't read much to be honest.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox