Register

In praise of the Aeropress

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: In praise of the Aeropress

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Pampy - just to let you know 3 weeks or so ago I decided to dive in & get a Dolce Gusto - I'd never given the pod thingy's a thought, been rather sniffy in fact - but then - what the hell - let's try!

Result!!!! so much so I've ditched the big espresso taking up room & dust - The Lushly loves it - so quick, clean & great flavour pods - whodathought?!?!

Think I've been too much a coffee snob - it certainly makes a great coffee & life a lot simpler..... thanks again for the recommendation!

Postby Pampy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:45 pm

I'm so glad you like it! Mine's been getting quite a lot of use recently - must be the colder weather!
I used to have a really good (and really expensive when I got it) Gaggia espresso machine. The coffee was excellent but it was such a faff compared with the pod machines - so much so that I gave it away once I'd decided I liked the Dolce Gusto. Enjoy your Christmas!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:09 am

The 3rd person I've heard recommend ristretto.

I'm very encouraged by your conversion, Lush. It is looking good for me on the coffee front then.
We got the Lavazza Jolie Plus, which will deliver either a small espresso size, or a long lungo.
I'll open it today and try.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:22 pm

I was very sceptical Gilly - couldn't see how it could compete with freshly ground beans - but it does! And by the time you'd have dragged the beans out of the cupboard the coffee's made & tastes great - we're working our way thro' various flavours, lots of choice & good & strong - You'll love it!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:04 pm

OOOOo look.
Aeropress is the winner: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dri ... -machines/

I just saw a Dolce Gusto in Waitrose. Looks good.
Well I'm on my second cup of coffee. It's massively strong espresso. I'm working my way through the pods to find my favourite, but so far, I'm getting coffee rush.
I won't be able to keep drinking the ones I've tried so far black.
Frothy milk will have to be added.

I hope the Rossa is mellower, I've bought 50 pods!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:12 pm

Aeropress is the winner

Edit: P.S. I'm onto my last bag of my favourite coffee from that special offer a few weeks ago. I wish I'd bought more now!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:19 pm

I've taken my aeropress to the studio, where I can drink it lovingly.

Shame your favourite is running out tho, Sakkarin.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Taken from the front page of the Nespesso site. As with my earlier post about Hare's Blood Brulee, I am questioning whether I really want to be associated with foodieishness at its most extreme and at its most banal!:

Adding milk creates a whole new taste sensation, as well as bringing soft, smooth and creamy textures to the coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm

Two disappointments to report.

A couple of weeks back I bought some pre-ground "Tesco Original" coffee by mistake, as the "Tesco Original" beans I usually buy are in a very similar pack. I was surprised how much of the flavour is lost in the "freshly" ground coffee. Still better than instant though.

The bigger disappointment was Taylors "Lazy Sunday" beans. They were far too mild for my taste, to the extent that I have ended up upping the amount I use to try and compensate. They are small, very light coloured, dry-looking beans that the grinder complained about grinding.

Taylors beans were being sold 2 packs for a fiver, so I nabbed two different packs, not being sure which Taylors I'd already tried. The other pack is their "Rich Italian" beans, which I see I've had before and gave a fairly good review, so nothing new to add, but I guess I'll enjoy them more than the Lazy Sunday ones.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox