Register

Daftest downsizing cockup!!!

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Daftest downsizing cockup!!!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Gosh Sakkers do you line on Maltesers? I hate the things!

Have a nice apple instead :evil:

Postby Renée » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:58 pm

I used to like Maltesers and Crunchie Bars, but I haven't bought them in ages.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Maltesers? I hate the things!

I do worry about you sometimes, Joan.
Maltesers are like chocolate covered Horlicks. But gorgeous, pet.

And so healthy.

Thanks for the weighing test, Sakkarin. Bags for me from now on, if I weaken and buy them again at Poundland.
Haven't bought them for a while either, Renee. But I will fancy them tomorrow I know.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:17 pm

Who mentioned Crunchie Bars................?!?!

'Twas you Renee - I haven't had one for centuries & I do mean that - I don't have a sweet tooth at all - but I used to love those - & now I'm thinking............................ :twisted:

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:30 pm

Used to love the crunchie bar when I was younger, Lush.

Postby Renée » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:13 pm

Thinking is dangerous Lush!!! :twisted: I know, I know, you'll all be blaming me and Sakkarin, of course!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:35 pm

Bags for me from now on, if I weaken and buy them again at Poundland

...secure in the knowledge that for every 121 bags you buy, you effectively get a free bag. Sort of a 121 for 120 rather than a 2 for 1...

;-)

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:28 pm

I prefer boxes of Maltesers to help my self control (luv 'em) as you can see the box getting emptier and emptier *sob* whereas packets sort of imply that they are meant to be eaten all at once :oops:

Not sure about your calculation Sakkarin as I reckon you'd need to buy only 120 bags to get a free box (@ 2g each) but am going to order 121. Just to be on the safe side you understand :)

Maybe the implicit urge to scoff the whole bag is a marketing thing? Mind you, bags must surely take up much less lorry space than boxes re transport costs; conversely I think the boxes probably have small gift item sales value (hence both), like a box of After Eights used to have.

Fascinating, as Spock would say.

Postby Uschi » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:03 pm

I like Maltesers, but haven't bought any in a while.
At the moment I have a hankering for crisps (Currywurst-flavour is my favourite at the moment), but am resisting manfully (female hormones, though, are to blame for the hankering).

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:56 pm

I had one the reverse of downsizing

I often buy packs of 6 little bananas from Morrison's - 6 for a fixed price, not by weight

Nonetheless, the last I bought were even smaller than usual - but although the packs still said 6 on them each contained seven bananas

Unexpected outbreak of common sense & fair play in the packaging department- :D

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:15 am

Gillthepainter wrote:
Maltesers? I hate the things!

I do worry about you sometimes, Joan.
Maltesers are like chocolate covered Horlicks. But gorgeous, pet.

And so healthy..

That's why I hate them Gill :vomit

My idea of hell would be a mug of milky Horlicks or Ovaltine.

Now crunchies I used to buy to break up and scatter on ice cream - quicker tham making homeycomb.

Postby jeral » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:06 pm

On banana pricing, yes, common sense as not many people buy bananas past their best. Our Tesco Express sells them at 18p each (presumably for speed at till including self cashout). That is 18p whether titchy or huge, so no prizes for guessing which I select as if allowing for both width and length could be up to 3x's worth.

You can cut a huge banana in half (skin left on) to eat later, although small ones work for pick-up lunch so the pricing does seem to work sales-wise.
------

Daftest packaging: Besides being an outrageous amount for two foil tarts, how stupid is it that the foil and cardboard can be recycled but not the see-through window which needs to be removed? I remove it (being one in a million), since I know it'll be rejected and go to landfill otherwise. Shurely shomething wrong here.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:52 pm

You can buy packs of four bars of chocolate for a £1.00 but they are more like the funsize bars now and not the 'normal' size as I remember them! :twisted:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:41 pm

There was an article in the i Newspaper yesterday on this subject, entitled "Revealed: how our favourite treats shrink - but their prices don't". I tried to find the article online to link to, but their website doesn't seem to include a search box.

Products "outed" (including some non-food) were:

Mcvities Choc Digestives: 332g reduced to 300g
Tropicana Juice: 1 litre reduced to 850ml
Andrex - 240 sheets reduced to 221
Dettol wipes: 36 reduced to 32
Sensodyne toothpaste: 100ml reduced to 75ml

This was the funniest:

Percol FAIRTRADE Guatemala Coffee: 227g reduced to 200g.
The price was reduced slightly, but still incorporated a 9% price hike.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:23 am

All this talk about things I have absolutely no chance of getting hold of.
I`d love a 1) Crunchie bar 2) Packet of maltesers 3) Cadbury`s Flake 4) Digestive bikky.

NOW!!

Postby Renée » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:13 pm

Awww ... you poor thing, KK! :cry: I am surrounded by them when I go into a supermarket, but never buy them as I'm trying to eat less these days. Christmas is my only time for such goodies.

Yes, I have been keeping my eye on toilet rolls, in fact many years ago, I weighed them, too!! :mrgreen: I thought that they might have reduced the width, too, which would have affected the weight. I'd rather they kept everything the same size and I would be happy to pay a few more pennies.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed May 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Discovered a beauty in the Leclerc catalogue which arrived today. Special offer on Carted'Or icecream which looked like a real bargain, until you read the small print which said "Special format 650g" they usually come in litre sized tubs, and actually the same unitary price as the usual size.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun May 28, 2017 10:00 am

Maybe there's been interim tweaks with the size in between, but I noticed yesterday that the bags of maltesers now only hold 93g, when I was reminded of this previous post, in which I thought they used to be 100g. I was shocked to realise that the previous size was 121g, around 25% more, just 15 months ago. So what was originally a post about a strange anomoly that meant there was a 1g difference in the amount of maltesers in a bag compared to a box, now becomes a post which reflects the theme of the thread, which was the practice of companies to downsize the contents to give the impression that the packs are the same price.

Another choccy based news item recently was KitKat's court case in which they weren't allowed a monopoly on 4-bar packs or on the wafer/chocolate combination. There was a special offer on KitKats alongside the Maltesers, and I noticed the wrapper proudly declared that the KitKats were now chocolatier and crisper, in other words they have changed the recipe, so it is no longer the original KitKat; and on top of that they were "chunky" bars, which are a completely different size to the original. So maybe KitKat were guardians of their own fate, and should have left things be.

Postby Pampy » Sun May 28, 2017 4:42 pm

The Kit Kat recipe has been changed because they've reduced the amount of sugar. Milky Bar is going the same route - "even milkier" - ie more milk, less sugar.
It's the shape of Kit Kat which Nestle has failed to trademark.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:32 am

Dear me, the downsized Toblerone in the top pic looks like it's had half its teeth removed!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... price-drop

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox