Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:19 am

You can now buy kilo tubs of really nice yogurt in Morrison's and Asda, no nasties Lancashire Farms from Rochdale

http://lancashirefarm.com/our-yogurts/

Not keen on the low fat but the natural and Greek are good

Even nicer, Morrison's also sell Rumi Turkish yogurt, which also seems to come from Rochdale, tastes really good

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Rumi-Turkish-Yogurt/308331011?sku=308331011&parentContainer=|19998_SHELFVIEW&voucherCode=&dnr=y

I do like a dairy product named after a poet philosopher :)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 pm

I saw the Lancashire Farms yoghurt in Tesco yesterday, but it is displayed alongside the ethnic chilled products, not the normal yoghurt. Not sure what that's all about - especially as it is nearly half the price of most of the other yoghurts.

Again I only needed 4 tablespoonsful, so I bought a 200ml of Greek Yoghurt for 50p, would have prefered the LF one, but couldn't justify an extra 85p and the waste of probably having to throw most of it away :-(

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Maybe it might be useful to make notes of price HIKES in this thread too. I used to enthuse about Tesco's Finest Comte which a year or so ago was £2. It went up to £2.20 a couple of months back. Last night I noticed that it's now shot up to £3, and off my shopping list. :-(

Conversely Tesco's own brand "Red Berries Special Flake" cereal has been reduced from an already cheap £1.49 to £1.19.

The "XXX Farms" branding has also pushed a lot of products into a scarily low bracket, with bacon at £1.35 for 300g and chicken at stupid prices.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Sakkarin wrote:I saw the Lancashire Farms yoghurt in Tesco yesterday, but it is displayed alongside the ethnic chilled products, not the normal yoghurt. Not sure what that's all about - especially as it is nearly half the price of most of the other yoghurts.

My impression has always been that LF is aimed largely at Asian home cooks (and probably restaurants too)

That they sell ready made Raita in the range may be a clue

Conjures up rather a nice vision to me - half Gracie Fields Sing as We go, half that Pataki's advert set in 1960,
Lisa Stansfield and Shobna Gulati (Dinner Ladies) in saris and clogs maybe?

The whole ethnic foods thing is an irritant, I've moaned before about 3 brands of canned red kidney beans being filed in 3 separate aisles as different "ethnicity"

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:28 pm

Sakkarin, you do know you can freeze excess yoghurt, yes? Just a thought.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:44 pm

Sadly my new, smaller fridge freezer is full to the brim :-(

But it might be useful to bear in mind though, as most of my yoghurt is used in curries in relatively small amounts, and I invariably have some which ends up green and fluffy, so maybe I should consider freezing it in ice cube trays.

Postby Renée » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:02 am

I was interested to learn about Lancashire Farms yogurt, which I hadn't heard of, even though I live in Lancashire! I don't normally shop in Morrison's or Tesco, which is probably why I hadn't seen it. I loved the yogurt in Turkey, so will watch out for the Rumi yogurt. I do buy the Asda low fat yogurt, but use it in my smoothies, so don't notice the taste.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Renée wrote:I was interested to learn about Lancashire Farms yogurt, which I hadn't heard of, even though I live in Lancashire! I don't normally shop in Morrison's or Tesco, which is probably why I hadn't seen it. I loved the yogurt in Turkey, so will watch out for the Rumi yogurt. I do buy the Asda low fat yogurt, but use it in my smoothies, so don't notice the taste.

They also make in Lancashire one called Desi, very nice

There's a scale - if you take the whole milk yogurt, i.e. 3.5% fat they start more or less like home made, then get thicker and richer tasting, though not that much in it, I can see everyone might have a preference for one over the others

1. Lancashire Farms
2. Desi
3. Rumi

Postby Renée » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 am

I hadn't heard of that one, either, Sue. I'll look forward trying them out, although I have just bought a large tub of Asda's low fat yogurt. I'm passing near to Waitrose today, so I'll see what they have.

I bought a large jar of Kenko Smooth, 200g, for only £3.50 from Asda yesterday. I have instant during the week and the beans or ground coffee at weekends.

Postby sunflower » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:43 am

I used to like Lidl Turkish yogurt because it's thick till they stop selling it. Then I found this Greek style from Lancashire it is the thickest yogurt I've ever tried. It's as thick as whipped cream. Nice but not low fat about 10%. I think Lancashire yogurt is made by Asian they also do lassi

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Oh dear, I was sorely tempted to buy some just now, but as I was about to put it in my basket I reminded myself that I still have an unfinished half a tub of yoghurt in the fridge, and an extra tub would undoubtedly end up going to waste. :-(

Postby Renée » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:30 pm

I was also tempted to buy several things whilst in Waitrose, but I stayed strong! :lol: :lol:

It seems that I can buy Lancashire Farm yogurts from nearby Asda. I've just been reading about the company and will definitely support them:

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Manufa ... oys-growth

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:05 am

Not bargain, opposite. Butter has leapt to £1.09 for Tesco own label. Wasn't it 85p a few weeks back? That would be a 28 percent rise.

Although remember when coconut milk prices went off the chart? They sort of settled back again eventually. They're forever doing it on special offer, so my stockpile has been quite cheap.

Postby Renée » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am

No luck finding the Lancashire products in Asda, either! It seems that they are stocked everywhere except Lancashire! I might come across them one day.

Yes, I remember own label butter being about 85p. That's a very large increase in price.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:38 pm

Last time I was in Morrisons they had the Lancashire products, including a smaller pot of the thick greek style yoghurt than the enormous bucketful Tesco sell. Coincidentally I'm just off to Morrisons now, but I'd already bought some from Tesco (for the Achari Tikka last week). Very good yoghurt. I'll have a look and see what Morrison are charging for their butter. I would suspect it is £1.09, notwithstanding all the rules on price fixing...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am

And now butter is £1.18, that's another 9p in 6 weeks. At that rate it will be £1.75 by Christmas :-(

On the bright side, petrol has gone down a bit.

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:22 pm

If anyone likes Pyrex, there's a bargain for a 5-piece "Multi cook" cooking pot combo here for £19.99. It's discontinued but originally retailed at £55 (yikes) so in price terms is a lot of bang for your Pyrex buck:
https://mahahome.com/p/Pyrex/Kitchen-Ba ... 6470024778

Yes, I've bought one and am happy with it. I find Pyrex a bit heavy but certainly not as heavy as an equivalent Le Crueset.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:01 pm

One of Morrison's Easter offers is packs of basic veg for 50p each or three for £1, I got Maris Piper spuds, leeks and carrots, all good.

You are probably too late for this one, but about a month ago I bought a potted azalea from Morrison's for the bizarre sum of £1.87. I buy one most years, as I was once presented with one in a rather nice, vaguely oriental, ceramic cache pot, so I refill it. I think this the best azalea that has ever been in it it's gorgeous and it is lasting well. The point is that their specials in flowers are always worth considering I think.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:44 pm

The ultimate kitchen gizmo: a tandoori oven, starting bid of a fiver - or half the cost of my spiraliser...

https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/search-r ... rm=tandoor

Postby Petronius » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:53 pm

Recently our local Waitrose appears to have changed its policy on when to display yellow sticker reduction - that's items running out of date. At one time it was early evening, now every morning there's a couple of trolleys full of bargains. Yesterday bought a large english lettuce for 12p. :thumbsup In one week bought Maris Piper, bag of easy peelers and a box of grapes for a £1, normal price £4.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox