Register

BARGAIN BASEMENT

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: BARGAIN BASEMENT

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Maybe it's a sign of the times, but there is a strange ceremony these days in my local Tesco at "reduction time", a small crowd of people gathers and hovers, waiting (I recognise some of them as regulars to the discount mob), and than there's a mad rush when the trolleys full of booty arrive. They get trolleyloads of the stuff, but its all junk I wouldn't want anyway. I pass on my way with a haughty look. :-(

Postby Renée » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Yes, I do exactly that!!! :mrgreen:

Postby Pampy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Sakkarin wrote:The ultimate kitchen gizmo: a tandoori oven, starting bid of a fiver - or half the cost of my spiraliser...

https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/search-r ... rm=tandoor

I always promised myself a tandoori oven if I had enough money to buy a house with a huge kitchen. My existing kitchen is big but seems to be filled with all my gadgets!

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Sakkarin wrote: I pass on my way with a haughty look.

HaHa.................! :thumbsup

It's bad when you get to recognise the other punters!
I think a lot of these people just scope up all the really reduced stuff to sell on in car boots etc. seems the only explanation I can think of for buying most of it.

I used to lust after a tandoori oven & had a plan for The Lushly to build me one down at the bottom of the garden.
Hasn't happened yet........... :cry:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:26 pm

The site also has pizza ovens for a fiver. I think I'd still go for the tandoor! Tikka and naan is slightly less artery hardening than endless pizzas.

Postby Petronius » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:57 am

Sakkarin wrote:They get trolleyloads of the stuff, but its all junk(

If it's Tesco, it's junk at full price also. :thumbsdown

We shall start using that 12p lettuce today - a few outside leaves are fading but the rest is fine.

Postby Binky » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:20 pm

If you are interested in 'bargain basement' and saving money on your shopping, this thread from MoneySavingExpert is interesting.

I noticed the same thing myself when looking for peanuts - Mr Binky loves the Tesco Value Salted Peanuts - but they are gone from the shelves now.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=5604996

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Morrison's now have a display chille of marked down stuff
No scrum
Always have a look, recently I've wanted cream for cooking and always found it there

Postby miss-mouse » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:08 pm

The manipulation of customers by Tesco on that MSE tread was interesting. Loathe Tesco for so many reasons going back many years.

Postby Petronius » Sun May 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Lots of big cars in Waitrose car park yesterday morning. Some wines are reduced by 25% - Lindeman, not heard of them. Trolley loads of 'em going out the door. :D

Postby jeral » Sun May 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Lindeman's is a good name if you like full bodied red Australian wines. (I don't know about their whites.)

Their bottles are consistent, as are Jacob's Creek being another recognisable name. I'd snap some up if a good price since much of wine cost is tax now :(

A fair few bottles would fit in a hatchback of course :) I noticed with my first online order from Waitrose that their minimum shop is £60, so seemingly they're trying to keep up the "big car" image ;)

Postby jeral » Sun May 07, 2017 10:05 pm

Bargain Tamari soy sauce. Unless my arithmetic is way off, this is a good deal. I thought it was an error such that only six bottles would arrive, but as all twelve did I'm confused but happy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0069RW8A8/ ... 41_TE_dp_1

Postby Petronius » Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks Jeral, bought a couple of reds for the weekend, family visiting though they'll be too polite to say anything!

We've done well the last couple of days with Waitrose yellow sticker baskets. Lettuce, potatoes, two large and sweet mangos, cucumber and radishes. Couldn't help noticing how much was Duchy stuff.

Postby jeral » Wed May 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Yes, very Duchy. I did a first Waitrose on-line shop last week (there isn't one near here so no free coffee for moi). They sent Duchy leaf organic spinach instead of standard chopped own brand. OK except twice the price for half as much :( I didn't complain as there was 20% discount being new customer first shop :) (Everything else was fine incidentally.)

If you like full bodied red wine, Tesco have a standard line Shiraz at £4.10 and a Pinotage at £4.25. Both high ABV "cough mixture" if that's your thing, but not bad. A friend brought me a Pinotage all the way back from South Africa's Cape and my cheapo stood up quite well considering the price diff. (My favourite is Roodeberg but that's dear now.)

Postby Petronius » Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Can't take red wine anymore Jeral :( , but keep some in for cooking (not a fan of cheap wine for cooking) and certainly family this weekend are all red wine drinkers. :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu May 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Oh dear, what a complete waste of money. I spotted those 1 kg packs of Lancashire Farms youghurt for £1 in Tesco and grabbed one without looking too closely. Got home and it's bloody zero fat. In other words white water. Straight down the drain probably. It's a bit of a shame they have to use virtually identical packing for the two types.

A saving I can pass on though - Punjabi Samosas in the frozen Asian aisle £1.50 for 10 down from £2.25. I've enthused about those before, 2 packs in the freezer now. I make a mix of mayo and sweet chilli sauce to go with them.

Postby jeral » Fri May 26, 2017 4:47 pm

Another Tesco: They do fresh haddock in seasoned "dusting", two quite good fillets. Normally now £2.70 after the significant recent price hikes, but currently £2.25, so quite good value.

Postby Renée » Sat May 27, 2017 10:11 pm

What a shame I don't have a Tesco nearby!

Postby jeral » Sun May 28, 2017 12:30 am

Renée, you'll only miss Tesco for the occasional bargain that's to your liking. I lack a Morrisons evenly vaguely close and although six other supermarkets deliver here, they don't. I'll just have to make do with the other six :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 28, 2017 9:17 am

in the frozen Asian aisle

There's something slightly worrying about that phrase... :o

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox