Register

Kefir

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Kefir

Postby Renée » Tue May 30, 2017 9:17 am

I receive monthly e-mails from Catherine Saxelby, who is an Australian Nutritionist. I always look forward to receiving them because they always contain up-to-date information about nutrition and healthy eating.

This article about kefir is particularly interesting and shows how it can be made at home.

http://foodwatch.com.au/blog/super-food ... ite%20here

Postby Pampy » Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 am

Hi Renee. I'd take information that's given in newsletters etc with a pinch of salt. I get (or used to until I unsubscribed) a home tips type of newsletter, which quite often gave misleading, and in a couple of cases, potentially dangerous, tips. An example is one that advocated drinking as much coconut water as possible, particularly as it was high in potassium. What wasn't said is that too much potassium can cause kidney failure, especially in older people and those with other illnesses that can affect the kidneys, such as diabetes. When I suggested to them that perhaps they should include some kind of disclaimer, they were very dismissive. I do think that any advice on diet/nutrition/etc should come from a professional who has at least a general idea of potential issues for you as an individual.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 30, 2017 11:36 am

I agree with Pampy in general, but that's actually a good, straightforward, article on kefir

Saxelby herself would seem to be on the side of the angels she does have a BSc in biochemistry and a Masters degree in Nutrition, and is an APD, the Australian equivalent of Registered Dietician, and she is associated with government initiatives in Australia. Doesn't stop her getting the odd bee in her bonnet but I think she might be unlikely to associate with some of the stupidity that's out there.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue May 30, 2017 11:41 am

I completely agree with you Pampy, especially when it comes to illnesses like colitis or Crohns Disease. Mr Strictly has the former, and the usual rules of a healthy diet do not apply to this illness. In recent weeks he's been driven mad by (probably) well-meaning colleagues,who are not dieticians, trying to lecture him on how to deal with his illness food-wise. there is one guy who is heavily into his health foods telling Mr Strictly to eat high fibre foods. It Mr Strictly did this he would be crippled up in agony. The problem was the the bloke kept going on and an about it. Mr Strictly resorted to telling him to shut up in the end - a few profanities may have been used at this point :lol: . the bloke must have thought Mr Strictly had got IBS, which is completely different!

Postby Renée » Tue May 30, 2017 6:15 pm

How annoying for Mr Strictly. Advice should come from the medical people who are looking after him and there are some good websites such at the NHS, Patient UK and no doubt a support website for people who have colitis.

I also find Dr Michael Moseley very interesting, Dr Jan van Tulleken and James Wong, who is a Kew trained botanist, science writer and broadcaster. He graduated with a master of Science degree in Ethnobotany.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 30, 2017 8:08 pm

James Wong used to irritate the heck out of me, largely because he came to my attention through a BBC show called Grow Your Own Drugs, and I thought that title was just wrong on all levels, would have been OK perhaps for a sitcom, but not a documentary

Apparently not his own idea, and he has grown on me, especially since he did that series with Mosley. I also like the van Tulleken twins, I watched Dr Chris van T's programme on HIV last week, but it was pretty grim in parts

Postby Renée » Tue May 30, 2017 11:01 pm

I didn't watch last week's programme, Sue, but it is one that I would have given a miss.

Although I wasn't going to buy any more books, :oops: I have bought three recently.

James Wong's How to Eat Better. He uses simple science to supercharge nutrition.

Michael Mosley's The Clever Guts Diet. It something that I'm interested in and I've stopped having gout attacks since I started taking probiotics from H&B. I had been getting them on a regular basis previously.

How to Lose Weight Well by Dr Xand Van Tulleken.

Now that I am quite old, I want to stay as well as I can! :mrgreen:

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:30 am

I bought a cherry kefir drink in Asda yesterday from the chilled display which has Polish foods and did notice a large bottle of plain kefir.

There is so much information around now about gut health and recent discoveries. I received this from the BBC today.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide ... +follow+up

Postby Luca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:03 pm

That's an interesting article Renee. Supports information provided to me by my doctor along with strict advice to reduce my stress levels!

Postby Renée » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:50 am

Yes, stress is at the root of a lot of health problems, Luca! We are so lucky, in the UK, to have an abundance of food, but we our surrounded by so many stresses, either personal or politics at the moment. I really should stop reading the news and listen to relaxing music instead. I do go to the gym at least three times a week, but I've got the time being well retired.

I've always been drawn to certain things, such as brewing kombucha many years ago and watching the "mushroom" developing on top. Making the "mother" for sourdough bread was another interest and that took about two week to make initially. I have friends in the Lake District who are vegetarian and they swing a pendulum over most foods that they buy to see if there is a positive response! I'm not sure about that one, although they say they do have allergies, so need to be sure about foods.

Postby Rainbow » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:25 am

Renée wrote:
I've always been drawn to certain things, such as brewing kombucha many years ago and watching the "mushroom" developing on top. Making the "mother" for sourdough bread was another interest and that took about two week to make initially. I have friends in the Lake District who are vegetarian and they swing a pendulum over most foods that they buy to see if there is a positive response! I'm not sure about that one, although they say they do have allergies, so need to be sure about foods.

What on earth does swinging a pendulum tell them about foods causing their allergy problems? And what sort of positive response do they expect to see?
I thought that was a way of telling if a woman was carrying a boy or a girl!!
Sounds like complete bunkum to me :lol:

Postby Renée » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Yes, I know, Rainbow! I think exactly the same as you, but they are convinced.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox