Register

actifry

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: actifry

Postby sunflower » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi Gill how are you? Been a long time since we met. Maybe we could arrange another meeting again.

Hope you like the airfryer. I hardly turn on my oven now

I used to hate baking jacket potatoes in oven because they take so long. With this little gem it's so easy. Wrap the potato with few layers of wet paper towel (this is to prevent potato from drying). Microwave for about 5 minutes till almost done. Remove the paper. Put potato in the airfryer and bake for about 12 -15 min or till browned and crisp to your liking.

With chips I alway use aldi premium thick chips. No need to add oil just chuck them in and cook till done at 180deg

One warning do not turn on the fryer and forget about it. Things will brown very quickly you need to check every few minutes and toss the food few times for even browning.

Just to let you know the metal mesh can be difficult to clean if you roast meat. Here is another cleaning tip, go to poundland and get couple of baking mesh and cut them to fit the basket.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nonstick+mesh+oven&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjqqNunsPTQAhUiIsAKHQG3DwQQ_AUICCgC&biw=800&bih=1280#imgrc=S-dzN8Sz_ggDaM%3A
Lay the baking mesh on the metal mesh. This will prevent the meta mesh in close contact with meat juices and end up burnt and hard to clean. I never have problem cleaning since I lined the basket with the baking mesh plus lining the bottom of the container with damp kitchen paper.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:56 am

Thank you for that tip. I'll pop there today.
Cock up with Amazon while we've just been to Lisbon.

They delivered to a neighbour who has since gone on holiday, so we do not have the actifry.
I've booked one with another carrier.

Full refund from Amazon, and keep the airfryer when it arrives. I'll just send it back.

Can you recommend something to cook first?

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:20 pm

Test cook this afternoon with cheap chips.
I'm thinking the first cook will smell a bit, my toaster smelt disgusting first go - so have some rubbish chips that may or may not be edible.
But it will give me a feel for the device at least.

And a timings.

Chateaubriand I'm fine with.
Ill use my thermometer to get it right.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Well
I can endorse the airfryer. Absolutely easy cooking. When I think of the faff I've had in the past with frying.

Yet to try other things, but I can see that breadcrumb coating will not be a problem in this machine.
It doesn't move the food around.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:17 pm

I'm really pleased that you like your actifryer - you'll probably develop the same love affair that I have with my halogen fan (counter top) oven. (First one bought nearly two decades ago; they last about five years,) I assume it's the same idea that a fan blows heat around? If so, you won't want to be without one from now on :)

I'm curious though, is it as noisy as it sounds on the videos?

Postby Renée » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:27 pm

I like my halogen, too, particularly for grilling, because I can see what's happening.

Postby sunflower » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi Gill glad you like the airfryer. It's covinient and faster than using the oven. Great to refresh bread and croissants.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:52 am

Good thinking.
Ill get croissants from the bakery tomorrow.

Jeral.
There is no noise that I noticed. No moving parts in the Philips Airfryer that Sunflower and I have. I decided against the actifry.

And I don't know if it is like a halogen oven. I presume your halogen is more flexible in its cooking deeds. And has more capacity.
I do have a second small oven that is the combi microwave.
I'm thinking that a halogen is an oven really with similar results.
And the fryer is more similar to a fryer in results.

Although I've seen a video that you can make a souffle in the airfryer. People can get very inventive when they put their minds to it.

I haven't really enough experience yet of course. Just the chips.

Postby Chihuahuasrule » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:51 pm

I'm intrigued!

I had an actifry several years ago and thought it was useless so got rid of it.
Can someone clarify the difference between an 'actifry' and an 'airfryer'. Is i brand names or different technology, or is actifry a brand definition?

I've had a search and the only differences I can spot is that some use oil others don't and some move the food around while some models don't.

I'm not sure that I would buy another one, just interested.

JeanT

Postby DEB » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:50 pm

My understanding is the an 'actifry' stirs the food as well as using hot air and some oil, while 'airfryer' just uses hot air and may require you to stir turn the food part way through the cooking process.

Postby sunflower » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:31 am

Halogen oven heats by a powerful halogen lamp that is why halogen oven is superbright when it's on. Airfryer has a heating coil on top of the drawer basket, food is not movable you will need to toss it or turn it manually to get even browning. Actifry uses a paddle slowly moving the food so you just leave it to cook till done but the disadvantage is this could crush delicate food. All 3 of them use a fan to circulate the heat. I find the airfryer's fan is the strongest sometime you don't even have to turn the food much the under side will still get nicely brown. One warning do not put food with a powery surface in the airfryer the powdery stuff will blow all over the place. IF you put crisps or prawn crackers in the airfryer you will hear the food moving vigorously inside. ( I used it to refresh stale crisps or other crispy snack on low heat around 80 -100degree).

There is no need to add oil to frozen chips. Frozen chips most likely are coated with a layer of oil or goose fat if you buy the premium type. You will need to coat the chips with oil or fat if you make your own.

I love chicken pieces cook on the airfryer always come out super moist with a fantastic crispy skin. Great cooking sausages or bacon too.

I cook jacket potato (preheat first in microwave), baking small pies, small cakes/pudding, pastry, pasta bake, fish pie, any kind of cheese bake, fruit crumbles, roast small meat joint or anything that you would cook in the oven in smaller portion.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:33 am

Jackets will definitely be very handy for lunches.

I am tempted to ordered this accessory:

will have a think to see if I have something that will do the job already in the kitchen lurking.

Postby Chihuahuasrule » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:46 pm

Many thanks for the replies and they pretty well confirm what I thought. I think I'll stick with my cheapo deep fryer at present but in the meantime my thoughts are veering towards an Instantpot!!!!!!!!!

I will probably think about it, then come to my senses and decide that it's something I can manage without perfectly well.

Happy New Year to all,

JeanT

Postby Renée » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:34 am

I mostly use my halogen as a grill, because I can see what's happening, unlike the one at the top of the oven, which is too fierce.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:42 am

Is that a gas grill you have, Renee.
They are pretty intense.

Instantpot sounds good to me, Jean.

Postby Pampy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:
Instantpot sounds good to me, Jean.

I'm enjoying my Instant Pot - it's really handy to be able to saute things in the same pot that you are going to use for slow-cooking. I recall that Badger's Mate said he had bought a lid for his so he didn't have to use the pressure cooker lid that the pot comes with when he uses it for slow-cooking. I've found that I've got a pan lid that fits perfectly so don't have to buy anything else - although I've been toying with the idea of getting an additional pan because I sometimes find that I want to use the pot when the pan is still in the dishwasher (unwashed) from a previous use. Or maybe I could stop being lazy and wash the pan by hand! I'm going to use it soon to make cauliflower and cheddar soup (or broccoli and stilton) - I think it will be a breeze.

Postby Renée » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:46 am

It's a Bosch oven, Gill, so electric.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Badger's Mate said he had bought a lid for his so he didn't have to use the pressure cooker lid that the pot comes with when he uses it for slow-cooking.

That's right. I also bought a spare pot. There's a goose carcass in it at the moment, making stock for a great big (and totally inauthentic) cassoulet early in the new year. :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Nice one, Badgers.

Once again, Amazon has delivered to a total stranger at number 28. And they have not been in for 2 days. Grrrrrrr.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 am

Andrew Googlemeister has just posted an interesting vid on 4 ways with vegetable chips. Sweet potato, courgettes, asparagus and carrots.
Either doused in a herb mix.
Or egged with panko bread crumbs.

Served with a yoghurt dip.

All sounding rather lovely and light.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox