Register

Korean Food

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Korean Food

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:37 am

Stokey Sue wrote:
The recipes I was thinking of making were this simplified pork bulgogi rice bowl (not Judy's)
https://mykoreankitchen.com/spicy-pork-bulgogi/

And possibly Judy's Bibimbap
http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/recipes/biggest-and-best-bibimbap.html

The above was where I started
Tonight I made bibimbap

I made the bulgogi from the first link, using the marinade I made previously and froze, this time I used spare rib chop and marinated for longer, worked really well, tender, tasty, with marinade forming a fairly dry sticky coat on each individual piece. Yum

I used ordinary jasmine rice
I made both Judy Joo's sauces, the seasoning sauce for cooking with and the dressing to drizzle over the completed dish
I only did three veg, tatsoi, portobello mushrooms and bean sprouts, each seasoned with a little sauce, it has oil in, so as she suggests I used a non stick pan and no extra oil. This made it quite quick to prepare.
It was absolutely delicious, well worth doing again
I've got half the cooked pork bulgogi and lots of sauce left

The seasoning was definitely what was lacking from the Greek Street version

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 pm

John Torode's Korean Food Tour start at 21:00 on Good Food channel tonight, the episode is called Summer

Hope it's as good as his Malaysia series

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Thank for that, I will record the series, although I do not get on with John Torode, as I confessed for his Malaysian series, so it will be hardish work, and I suspect he will Torodise much of it.

Postby Renée » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 pm

Drat I missed it, but will make a note to watch the rest of the series.

Postby Renée » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:20 pm

I've just found this information about the series:

https://www.lifestylefood.com.au/tv/joh ... x?series=1

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 pm

Renée wrote:Drat I missed it, but will make a note to watch the rest of the series.

Renee, it's Goid Food channel, tgey will show it several times this week!

Got into the tennis and haven't watched my recording yet

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:57 pm

Couldn't find it, only a "John Torode Australia" programme :-(

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:34 am

Sakkarin wrote:Couldn't find it, only a "John Torode Australia" programme :-(

Doh! I found it through search and series linked, didn't notice it is in fact at 21:00 every night NEXT week :oops:

Can't say I didn't give you enough warning :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:09 pm

Pork Gochujang Stew and Beansprout Rice
Two dishes today from my Korean cookbook - Pork Gochujang Stew, and innocent-sounding Beansprout Rice, except the rice has one hell of a kick, with 2 whole chillies in the recipe, plus raw ginger, garlic and mushroom, and three tablespoonsful of toasted sesame seeds. They worked well together, with that mildly pickly kimchi-like flavour in the background that I associate with Korean food.

The pork stew had potato, courgette, leek and rocket in it as the veg.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Sheesh, every episode of that Torode Korean programme is broadcast 12 times!!!

http://tvguide.co.uk/search.asp?title=J ... ubmit.y=17

Postby Renée » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:29 am

Tee hee! Thanks for that, Sakks and thanks for the information about the Channel Sue! I do tend to forget to watch programmes, so I'm glad that it will be on every night!

What gorgeous plates of food, Sakkarin! They have given me more interest in Korean food. I keep looking at small jars of Kimchi in the supermarkets.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:59 pm

That was odd. I programmed my telly earlier to record the series (on my Virgin TiVO), starting Monday 9pm. But an hour ago I noticed that it looked as if it had already recorded the first programme, so I clicked it. And it WAS there already - "on demand" from UKTV Play.

So I've just watched the first episode.

I think people will enjoy it, a couple of things I learnt, without giving too much away - 1. Korean chopsticks are made of metal. 2. That rice that I moaned was "gloopy" is supposed to be gloopy! He suggested using risotto rice.

Two moans: as usual all the recipes (several of them) are "my way". And he enthuses about everything, even ginseng, which I bet he didn't really like as much as he appeared to.

Now I'm off to make a Koreanish stirfry MY WAY.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Yes that's TiVo's new trick, if a prog is available on ketchup TV it downloads the link to give you options
With UKTV this often means it is available pre-broadcast, but it's also dead handy if you've missed episode one and someone telks you about it

I sympathise with the my way moan, but in the Malaysian and Australian series the researchers found him such good people to talk to, and he did interview them quite well so it worked for me. Loved the Malaysian blogger who told him the cacophony of the night market 'adds flavour' for example, and to be fair he did too :)

ETA the metal chopsticks came up on the Judy Joo progs, you can get stainless steel on Amazon, dishwasher safe. Watching Judy and Ching egg and breadcrumb with chopsticks, so neat and clean, amazing!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:42 am

Just watched it
Enjoyed, and the my way did explain the ingredients pretty well

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:45 am

By coincidence yesterday I was talking to a guy who lived in South Korea for 12 years.

When challenged to list his favourite dishes, he came up with most of the ones covered already in these threads and in the first Torode programme. Top of his list was the rice-stuffed chicken with ginseng which features in the first Torode programme. I had presumed it would taste "cough syrupy medicinal", like the chinese dishes which are supposed to have health benefits and include odd medicinal herbs, roots and bits and pieces, however he said it didn't, but just tasted good. He couldn't describe quite what the ginseng tasted like though, he just said it all tasted good together. He also confirmed that ALL the rice over there is gungy (he described it as "glutinous", but I wouldn't want to confuse it with Thai glutinous rice, which is not gloopy), so my substitution of ordinary basmati rice in the dish I made the other day was completely wrong. On that front, Torode suggests risotto rice.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:58 pm

Missed this! But then I've missed a lot of things recently :cry: I'll have to see if I can still get it. I would say risotto rice would be a good sub too - or paella or the Bomba rice.

Just a thought - Ginseng raises blood pressure - so if you're hypertensive you might want to watch that - tho' you'd probably have to eat it everyday! :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 pm

We both watched it early, on "on demand", the first episode has not aired yet, it's on tonight and several times tomorrow.

http://tvguide.co.uk/search.asp?title=J ... ubmit.y=17

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks for that Sakks.......... :thumbsup

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:26 pm

According to a recipe I just looked at for pickled daikon radish, the Korean for daikon is moo.

Pickled moo...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVEoFi9agRo

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:37 am

Well, it's mooli in other languages :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox