Register

Korean Food

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Korean Food

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Thanks Sakkarin.
I'll have a good think about how to approach my first dish.

Tofu is a no go.

Ill get there.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Meatballs. Now thats a contender.
As is the broth.

As is the few large glasses of beer.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Yes, the big problem for Gill is rice or noodles

WFF, were the leaves perilla aka shiso? Rather pleasingly calledkaet-nip in Korean

The pic is of green perilla but it also comesin purple and all shades in between

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm

Stokey - They are the badgers! Very satisfying as I remember. I may make that pork Gamjatang with some pork ribs I have. I wonder if I can get some of those leaves in Asian supermarkets?

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:50 pm

You should be able to gett them in some Asian stores, I got mine in Chinatown, often labelled shiso round here, you can grow them too

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1373b_perilla_red_or_shisho_seeds

https://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1388e_perilla_green_seeds

Chiltern seeds seem to think only the red ones are shiso, they are probably right then, but I was unaware of the distinction, they have a lot of synonyms for the green one :o

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 pm

WhitefieldFoodie wrote:I had some Korean meat balls the other day, they really were the dogs bol*****s :lol:

I hope they weren't! :gonzo

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 pm

Haaaa!

Or if they were, let's hope they were Chihuahua's rather than Great Dane...

From Wiki's page on Dog Meat:

It is reported that roughly 2 million dogs are slaughtered and consumed every year in South Korea.

Daily North Korea reported that the North Korean government included dog meat in its new list of one hundred fixed prices, setting a fixed price of 500 won per kilogram in early 2010.

Gaegogi literally means "dog meat" in Korean. The term itself, however, is often mistaken as the term for Korean soup made from dog meat, which is actually called bosintang.

Postby Renée » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 pm

I'm wondering if Shiso/Perilla and Catmint are one and the same plant, because the Latin name for both of them is Nepeta, but of course, there are several varieties. Shiso is from the mint family and looking at the leaves and comparing them with one variety of catmint, they look the same.

Update:
The translation of the Latin word "Nepeta" to English is "wild". Oh well!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:13 am

Where did you get that perilla = nepeta?

They are I think both distantly related to mint

According to both Chiltern seeds and Wiki the Latin name is Perilla frutescens

I suspect the T in kaet-nip is not fully pronounced as some sites spell it kaenip

It must be one of those things, in Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy Douglas Adams said that every civilisation in the galaxy had an intoxicant called approximately ginandtonic and they were all different :lol:

Postby Renée » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:35 pm

I did a lot of Googling late last night, Sue, after I saw your mention of kaet-nip, which is Nepeta Cataria and wondered if it was the same plant as Shiso/Perilla, but later discovered that "nepeta" just meant "wild", which could have referred to a variety of either plant. I spent a lot of time looking at different leaves. Yes, they are both varieties of the mint plant.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:51 am

Interesting with the leaves.
It's one of those things where a substitute can make your dish fail. Like thai basil. Which I think tastes of mint - completely different to the Med version of course.

Right!
I'm trying kimchi jjigae first up, decision made....... back later to tell of my results.
Bearing in mind, I haven't the slightest clue what this will taste like.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 am

The usual suggestion is that if you can't get Thai basil you should use a combination of Italian basil and garden mint

Thai basil is easy to grow and the seeds are easily found, I got a pack in Wilko

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:27 am

Wilko rocks!
My studio is situated right between a fresh froot and veg stall, Asian and Polish supermarkets. And Wilko.

Bliss.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:16 am

Thai basil is easy to grow

Someone gave me a very snotty reply when I said the same on the BBC board a few years ago. Apparently they used more than they thought I could grow. Or something like that.

It is straightforward to grow, you get a lot of seeds in a packet, but obviously it only thrives in our climate in the summer, like normal basil.

I think Thai basil has a more aniseed/liquorice flavour. However, I believe I've said the same about tarragon.... :D

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:46 am

Yes, I get anise from Thai basil though not from tarragon

Someone suggested that as the person writing the recipe probably thought the tarragon added an anise note I could try replacing it with a splash of pastis, but perhaps Thai basil would be another candidate

It freezes ok, it doesn't go slimy like Italian

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:56 pm

After all my joy at tracking down an Asian pear at my local oriental shop, they've reappeared in Tesco :-(

[img]Will stick a pic here if I can work out how to get it off my new phone...[/img]

EDIT: P.S. I spotted a new stall at the local market's "Street Food" section selling Bibimbap. It was already closed, so didn't see what their offering looked like, but it's the first time I've ever seen Korean style food on sale locally. The also had Katsu curry on the list.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Went into my local Chinese / Vietnamese / All purpose oriental store today (the one opposite Dalston Kingsland Station

Korean food is clearly taking off with the Dalston hipsters, the Korean shelf has expanded and has all th ebasics, including sensibly sized jars of chilli flakes (didn't get a price though)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:48 pm

Kimchi appeared in "Masterchef the Professionals" this week, although I couldn't actually see it in the dish, and I also spotted jars of Kimchi in Sainos the other day. A bit too soon to call it the "next big thing" yet, though! I'm also reminded that Tesco had a Korean ingredients splash a few years back which came to nothing.

EDIT: Sheesh, it was 5 years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=911&p=12649#p12649

Postby Renée » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 am

Seemed like yesterday, didn't it? :lol:

I've seen kimchi in Sainsbury's, but it's in very small jars. I will get around to buying one, because I did enjoy it when I was in Taipei.

Yes, I saw it being used in Masterchef Professionals this week. Maybe if Nigella used it, there would be a massive demand for it and it would be more widely available! :mrgreen:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:40 am

I've still got a kilo of kimchi (ha, that sounds poetic, kilo of kimchi) in the fridge!

This article about Trump's visit to South Korea mentions that 360 year old soy sauce was on the menu. 360 years takes you back to 1657, before the Great Fire of London.

P.S. I'm not recommending the article, just linking for reference.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -sex-slave

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox