Register

Korean Food

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: Korean Food

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:05 pm

They're just Tesco frozen raw prawns, Renee! I would clearly prefer fresh, but they are too expensive I'm afraid :-(

The long rounded things are the dried rice cakes I mentioned about 6 posts back, here's Sunflower's pic of them, my local oriental place stocks them, and they end up very similar to the Korean rice cakes, although the K ones are cylindrical and come fresh or frozen:

Postby Renée » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks Sakks!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:16 am

Galbitang - Boiled Short Rib with Radish and Sweet Potato Noodles

This is one of the dishes in my Korean book which featured "short rib" beef, which I'd never seen anywhere, so couldn't make it last time around. Magically Tesco has started stocking it, and it seems cheapish so I thought I'd treat myself, but in practice this one meal used half my pack of shortrib.

The dish is basically boiled beef with Asian radish and sweet potato noodles, with a rich soy/chilli/spring onion seasoning sauce. Another of those dishes that I had no idea what to expect until I tasted it! I thought the beef would be boiled into extinction, the radish would turn to mush, and the noodles would be anonymous.

In the event it all worked brilliantly together, and the radish really works well as a vegetable. I would not suggest substituting the radish or the noodles for anything else, they both lend a unique twist to the dish.

The short rib itself? Two enormous chunks of beef, I took the precaution of pre-chopping the beef into smaller dice just before serving. The beef was quite chewy, but in a good way, and had a hint of greasiness in the background which actually contributed to the overall flavour. And the double helping of chilli in the sauce gave a real fiery kick. The only thing I'd say is that next time I'd cut the beef into slightly smaller chunks (12mm, as the radish).

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Coincidentally I watched the final of Masterchef USA series 4 on the "W" channel this morning, and the winning dish/contestant featured short rib! Very different from that previous dish though, it was pressure-cooked and braised until meltingly soft.

Just for the record, the beef in the Korean recipe is soaked for 10 hours and rinsed, then covered with water and brought to the boil, rinsed and refreshed in cold water. Then the beef is brought to the boil again in fresh water and boiled fiercely for 20 minutes, simmered with the radish for 7 minutes, then with the noodles for the final 3 minutes. Total actual cooking time 30 minutes.

As an aside, my rib came in two piece about 5 inches by 2 inches. The recipe called for 2 inch chunks, and I sniggered at the comment that they should get the butcher to prepare it. Then I tried cutting it - I hadn't realised how strong cow ribs are! I managed to break it in half (hence the two pieces), but it took a rteal battle with a mallet and cleaver at full force, I learned the lesson that if I use it in future either I get a butcher to deal with it (not an option when it comes prepacked) or cook it in one lump.

That said, the next ribby dish I'm eyeing calls for chunks too...

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:55 pm

What is the 10hr soak liquid that the ribs sit in?

On tensile strength of bones, I recall it was shown that a human pelvis stood on a side edge could withstand the weight of a Mini car. Granted it was before cars had heavy reinforcement bars etc but still a ton or so I imagine.

I'd have thought a hacksaw would be the best bet for sawing long ribs in half. Then again, each rib goes from meaty to just fat so the fat ends would be good only for stock or rendered dripping anyway. I.e. you wouldn't achieve double the number by cutting them in half, just the same amount of meat but on a shorter bone. Maybe the whole point of short ribs is to lose the fatty end?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:07 pm

Korean food never quite seems to turn out the way you expect

I like short ribs, the meat has a great flavour, but there's actually not that much flesh on them really

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:41 pm

The rib pieces are just soaked in plain water, to "remove the blood", although it doesn't say why. It's odd that one recipe has a 10 hour soak (that one) and the other (short rib stew) has 3 hour soak.

Those two chunks started off as 275g of short rib, nearly ten ounces, and at £10 a kilo, that's £2.75.

Short rib stew tonight.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:23 pm

Galbijjim - Korean Beef Short Rib Stew

Well here's the Short Rib Stew. I'm afraid it didn't quite live up to the promise to me, flavours I've tasted before, with a sweetness from the sugar and mirin that I could have done without in a rich beef stock. With twice the cooking time, it wasn't a huge deal more tender than the last dish.

I missed a trick though - as with the last dish I hacked a large lump (290g) of rib in half, and had I thought about it, I could have soaked one and left the other "bloody" to see what the end difference was, although it may have affected the stock/broth, so maybe it is something to try another day, unless someone out there knows the answer.

Ingredients included dried red dates, chestnuts and dried shiitake, carrot, asian radish, potato. I used a pack of Merchant Gourmet chestnuts that I bought ages ago for half price. They are surprisingly good, so I'm on the lookout for a chestnut dish now! One of the most irritating cookery jobs is peeling roast chestnuts. Maybe never again...

Postby Renée » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:45 am

What a fabulous meal Sakkarin and well worth all the effort!

I used to buy a short rib of beef joint from Sainsbury's which had a wonderful flavour, but it seems to have disappeared from the fresh meat counter.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:41 pm

These responses to the soaking question here seem to indicate that there's absolutely no point in soaking meat unless the cow has only just been slaughtered...

https://cooking.stackexchange.com/quest ... f-in-water

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:45 pm

Tha plate does look good, especially as it's due to snow again soon...

On chestnut peeling, I did an experiment in December by oven-roasting, boiling and microwaving chestnuts and the m/w came out best all round and were notably the easiest to peel.

The instructions are easy. Just score as usual, put on plate and m/w for a minute at a time until skin starts to curl back, c.3-4 mins total.
Link here: https://www.myfrugalhome.com/how-to-roa ... microwave/

There a rich mushroom and chestnut bourguignon recipe here which could easily take some beef if wished:
https://www.motherandbaby.co.uk/lifesty ... d-potatoes

There's a pork, apple and chestnut pie here; it seems basic without any herbs but maybe it just doesn't need any. Arguably a suet crust pot pie version would work too.
https://www.a-taste-of-france.com/pork-apple.html

As a fan of chestnuts, the trick would be to ban the chef (me) from pickings ;)

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:15 pm

Thanks for the link on soaking. If that is so and if it is relevant to what we buy, you'd have seen the water change colour presumably so if it didn't perhaps don't bother?

I'm guessing that soaking might also be a hangover from the days before fridges to keep meat safe from flies until about to cook it since seemingly there's no enzymic effect, which would explain why five mins or several hours.
---

Renée, bones might be a generational thing, i.e. picking up and chozzling at them, since when I've suggested it to kids or teens they've always looked at me as if I'm mad :D Edit PS, mind you I don't have an inglenook fireplace to lob the gnawed bones into bones ;)

Postby Renée » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:20 pm

How times have changed jeral! :lol: I've always thought it better to cook meat on the bone. I seem to remember that red wine was involved when I was slow-roasting the short ribs of beef. Maybe one of Delia's recipes!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:26 pm

Both of those last two piccies, Ive been proud to have left it on the bone - I've deliberately angled them so you can see the bone!

Just bought some Cox's, will be making the Pork and Chestnut dish with suet crust.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:50 pm

Given the anatomy of short ribs, I don't think I'll ever cook them off the bone. Life is definitely too short to debone raw short ribs, though I've seen many recipes in which the cooked meat is removed from the bone and then reheated in the sauce, as is often done with oxtail

Postby Renée » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:33 pm

I've just received an email from Sous Chef, which mentioned Gochujang Sauce which is used in Korean dishes. Apologies if this has already been mentioned on this thread, but I thought that it might be of interest and the price is good.

https://www.souschef.co.uk/gochujang.ht ... ous%20Chef

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox