Register

Korean Food

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: Korean Food

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:07 am

It's not shrimp paste Lush, nothing like it, it's gazillions of tiny whole shrimp in liquid. Here's exactly the same jar of shrimps in Sunflower's kimchi recipe, second pic down...
http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.co.uk ... imchi.html

I've got blachan that goes back to the stone age in my cupboard, and several different Thai-style shrimp pastes...

On the soy, I was trying to compare it to soys that people will have access to - most Korean food has a Japanese edge to it, so you'd think Kikkoman would be perfect. Good thing you posted though, as you've reminded me that people might have thought I meant the Korean stuff was sweet as in Kicap Manis.

EDIT: There was a whole aisle full of different soy sauces in Seoul Plaza :-(

Postby Renée » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:10 am

Thank you for the very interesting article about soy sauces, Pampy, which I've put in Favourites. I always buy Kikkoman soy sauce, because I like the flavour and did compare it to other Japanese soy sauces some time ago. I didn't realise that it should be kept in a fridge, preferably, but it is in a dark cool cupboard.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:28 am

AhHa - that'll teach me to skim-read :D I can see what it is now - have you used it before?

Interesting comparisons you've done there - I do tend to get stuck in a rut & reach for ye ol' faithfulls!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:34 am

Nope, not used it before, that's why I was invoking Sunflower (...HEELP)!

EDIT: My ex-accountant used to think he could skim-read. What he actually does is only reads the first paragraph of his emails. I had a term for his "skim-reading" - SKIM IGNORING

:crying2

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Jjajangmyeon - Noodles in Black Bean Sauce

I was worried that the black bean paste I bought the other day was the wrong type for this dish, however one of the recipes I found online had a piccy of exactly the same pack as I bought, so I went with it.

All the way through, I was expecting it to be too salty to eat. In practice, the roasting of the black bean sauce seems to mellow it down, and it was quite tasty, although very heavy. You can't see any of the ingredients from the piccy, as it all becomes a thick black tarry mess! There is belly pork, courgette, potato, cabbage, onion and carrot in there, quite a lot of veg actually. I finished the whole plateful so it can't have been too bad.

I'm not bothered that I didn't get exactly the right noodles, the general opinion across the recipes I looked at seemed to be that udon noodles are a very close sub. You mix everything together before eating, and it becomes a bit more appetising-looking, the noodles turning a rich glossy brown.

EDIT: Here's how it looks when it's mixed. No way of eating them other than slurping...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:22 pm

Today's Korean haul, the Red Dates were still expensive (£3.50), but didn't have to buy a whole kilo of them. I suspect they will be pretty much the same as the very much smaller red dates I already had in my cupboard. We'll see.
EDIT: also got a tub of tofu, forgot when I took the pic that I'd already plonked it in the fridge.

I'm intrigued to try the dried rice cakes, which I've seen used in Korean recipes since I experimented with the fresh rubbery cylindrical rice cakes. These are oval and flattish, and require soaking for "12 hours in summer or 16-20 hours in winter, or 5 to 7 days if complete softness is desired". SEVEN DAYS??? Hardly fast food!

In the end I didn't particularly like the perilla leaves. Although they impart a taste, they don't dissolve, so you end up with green stringy bits. On a whim yesterday I added some methi to the Pork Galbi I was making, and it adds a more similar taste to the dish than any of the other subs I've seen mentioned.

The Soy Bean Sprouts were interesting too, as unlike ordinary mung sprouts which start crisp and soften when they are cooked, the soy ones start off stringy and stay stringy. Also the "bean" bit on the end remains quite substantial and beany, unlike the mung beans which become not much more than a husk.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:58 pm

I mentioned on another thread I'd made a Korean kimchi stew yesterday

I finally tracked down fresh perilla, and realised
1. I'd had it before
2. I didn't specially like it, it's OK but I shan't be tracking down seeds and getting excited

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:36 pm

Will post properly at some stage as you've nudged me into another batch of Koreanishness, but this just made me laugh out loud so I had to post it.

It's "John Torode's" kimchi stew recipe, except that it looks like it's probably Karen Choi's recipe. That notwithstanding, what made me laugh was when I came to the tofu, and it says "8 slices tofu, sliced". That's even dafter and more frustrating than when they say "block of tofu", as tofu round here comes in all kinds of sized blocks. Never sliced though.

I would also prefer to chop my pork carefully rather than roughly. Maybe it's a Google translation from the original Korean.

EDIT: ...and 4 "handfuls" of kimchi. Messy.

Incidentally they sell the proper bowls in Soeul Plaza, and those sizzly ones, not too expensive, although not within my meagre budget.

https://goodfood.uktv.co.uk/recipe/kimc ... mchi-soup/

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:08 pm

I have never had South Korean cuisine as there are no Korean restaurants of high quality in Spain ..

I have asked colleagues in Madrid & Barcelona as well as business colleagues in Bilbao & San Sebastian, Mallorca & Marbella, our main hubs for fine dining and Michelin establishments ..

However, South Korea was the guest country at Madrid Fusion, Gastronomic Convention several of years ago. Their kiosk was to sell their products with a tiny tasting ..

I like their Bio rice noodles very much .. However, I am not a grand fan of the "sour" profile and was not too impressed with the tasting I had, of fermented vegetables .. I prefer my vegetables fresh ..

Each to his or her own ..

I will check further into South Korean dining establishments in Spain.

Have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Practically every Korean dish has kimchi (pickled veg) in it or is supposed to be served with kimchi, so you have to develop a taste for it to really appreciate Korean food. It took me a while, but now I enjoy it, although I've only had the varieties we can get here, I suspect the aged ones which have fermented for years and years are more challenging, and some of the veg they use are less appealing than the ubiquitous cabbage kimchi. The shop I bought today's cabbage kimchi from also had radish kimchi, which I suspect I might not enjoy.

Tonight's kimchi stew followed the recipe Stokey posted, very tasty. I used firm tofu, would have preferred silken, and also the pork could have been softer, although I gave it half an hour (recipe says 10 to 15 minutes). You have to remember that it's not so long ago I hated both kimchi and tofu! Got the last pack of chilled kimchi from my local shop for this, it's much nicer than the canned or jars, although the best I've had so far was my homemade.

Will be making some more kimchi, my local shop had an ASIAN PEAR, so it will be closer still to Sunflower's recipe! I am thinking of making a split batch, half with the pickled shrimp which I am not sure about (supposed to be refrigerated, but I didn't realise and I didn't get them in the fridge for 24 hours, although they are pickled in 22% salt solution), and half with anchovy/kelp stock.

EDITED

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:26 am

@ Sakkarin,

I would truly prefer to eat South Korean out, which would also be alot less expensive, if we could find a suitable venue ..

We do not have alot of time to experiment with a cuisine that we have a very limited knowledge of .. Have also just started Reading about Persian Cuisine recently and made an amazing rice ..

As you know, we both travel frequently ( 14 days a month or more), so right now, it is impossible with the Xmas holidays coming and our busy autumn and alot of birthdays ..

I think that there could be some South Korean restaurants in the Madrid Capital .. I am awaiting some information from my Madrid tourist bureau contact ..

One thing that many people do not understand is that when you are born in the Mediterranean and raised in same, and have produce that is simply amazingly stunning, one does not care much for pickled or fermented veggies .. So, I do not wish to invest my energies in something I honestly do not care for ..

We have our way, and you have your´s .. We rather go out and sit on an open air terrace and have a bottle of wine and Tapas !!

Have a great weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:56 pm

First up.... replying to your post which I find offensive.......

Alexandria wrote:We do not have alot of time to experiment with a cuisine that we have a very limited knowledge of .. Have also just started Reading about Persian Cuisine recently and made an amazing rice .. As you know, we both travel frequently ( 14 days a month or more), so right now, it is impossible with the Xmas holidays coming and our busy autumn and alot of birthdays .. I think that there could be some South Korean restaurants in the Madrid Capital .. I am awaiting some information from my Madrid tourist bureau contact .. So, I do not wish to invest my energies in something I honestly do not care for .. We have our way, and you have your´s .. We rather go out and sit on an open air terrace and have a bottle of wine and Tapas !!

We none of us have a lot of time to experiment with cooking of any culture, we are all very busy - but you'll see if you read back through many years of history here, we make time - & we are a very diverse professional bunch from many disiplines. We acquire the knowledge through experience and passion for cooking.

You have replied to a thread that was of no interest to you & you have been derogatory - you should have just ignored same as people do when it is of no interest to you personally.

We are all more than familia with the the Mediterranean & its cuisine & do not need .......
Alexandria wrote:One thing that many people do not understand is that when you are born in the Mediterranean and raised in same, and have produce that is simply amazingly stunning, one does not care much for pickled or fermented veggies ..

You have an over-use of 'simply stunning' where it is not appropriate i.e your rice dish which was boring if not boring in the extreme - so, as you say, you have your way................

Alexandria wrote: So, I do not wish to invest my energies in something I honestly do not care

for ..

Again - why contribute to this thread?

You have been welcomed to this board - it is not a competition - of who can quote from cookery books & list food groups/recipes. -

Respect that!

Postby Amyw » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Agree LLush. Hopefully it has come across as ruder than intended , due to English being Alexandria's "second ?" Language and I am guessing by the style of posts , she might use a translating tool.

I have not much experience of any branch of Asian cuisine, but have been thoroughly educated by reading this thread and some amazing cooking has gone on

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:21 am

Alexandria wrote:However, South Korea was the guest country at Madrid Fusion, Gastronomic Convention several of years ago. Their kiosk was to sell their products with a tiny tasting ..

I like their Bio rice noodles very much .. However, I am not a grand fan of the "sour" profile and was not too impressed with the tasting I had, of fermented vegetables .. I prefer my vegetables fresh ..

Two things
1. This thread is about Korean food not South Korean food. My understanding is that as Korea split only about 60 years ago the food is / was similar across the region apart from regional specialities. Many overseas Koreans (such as chef Judy Joo) have parents or grandparents from bothe sides.

2. Although kimchi, and other fermented vegetables, are characteristic of Korean food, and available at every meal, apart from a few recipes such as the stew we made, most veg are cooked and served fresh. Kimchi is no more the only way of eating veg in Korea than ketchup is the only way of eating tomatoes in Britain.

A typical family meal consists of rice, a meat, tofu, or fish dish, and several fresh vegetable side dishes. And kimchi to add as the diner likes

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:47 am

I found Alexandria's post offensive on several levels. I am of a mind to remove the last four posts (and this one). If anyone feels that is harsh, please message me privately. I will leave the posts up for a few days to gather your thoughts, until then I would ask people not to respond to them, but feel free to continue the thread in the spirit that it was started. The thread is about Korean food.

Postby QinNortham » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:36 pm

Sakks, I couldn't agree more.

I have not been a frequent poster but I love this board. Knowledgeable, interesting, informative. No need for being snitty nor telling people what they already know. Most of us have travelled, eaten in all sorts of places, cheap & cheerful plus high end. We share our experiences, good & bad!

Please don't delete your post, needs saying.

Postby Pampy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 pm

QinNortham wrote:Sakks, I couldn't agree more.

I have not been a frequent poster but I love this board. Knowledgeable, interesting, informative. No need for being snitty nor telling people what they already know. Most of us have travelled, eaten in all sorts of places, cheap & cheerful plus high end. We share our experiences, good & bad!

Please don't delete your post, needs saying.

Completely agree - and would add that a number of us live or have lived outside the UK too.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:22 am

Hokay.

I know absolutely nothing about Korean food.
And am up for making something but need all your help.
My husband will not eat however: sweet/ sweet and sour. Sweet dipping sauce. Rice. Noodles. Duck. Anything stir fried. This list of no-no's has made it difficult for me to pick something Vietnamese from my one cookbook.

But he does love hot-hot-hot fiery, & pickles (so fermented is good).

Any recommendations spring to mind for a novice?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm

This kimchi stew might fit the bill! Not "hot hot hot", but the chilli is a definite feature. If he's picky, he probably doesn't like tofu either, so it may be an opener on that front too, as an introduction for Szechwan Mapo Tofu, another hot and savoury "meat and tofu" favourite I rave about. The kimchi stew would go well with potato, but it's a shame he won't do rice. It may be a lost cause, most of the main meals have a sweet edge. Seafood pancakes? Or blast him with Korean Fried Chicken. 100% sweet and sour, but I can't see how anyone could turn their nose up at it!

I've kind of finished the "all out" stage of my Korean project, but I'm still dabbling, and have had several more goes at the Kimchi Stew, each one better, and have made a huge 1.8 kg batch of Kimchi, pix of both below.

Kimchi Stew: I really don't know how anyone could have though 10 minutes could be enough to cook belly pork properly. Each time I've done it I've cooked it for longer and longer, and yesterday's was the best, with a 10 minute saute of the pork in a tiny bit of the allotted garlic and gochugaru, then 5 minutes together with the kimchi, and then 20 minutes with all the ingredients. It's still not quite there in terms of the pork, but close, however giving the "firm" tofu extra cooking helps that also, as it denatures more, so is softer. Coincidentally it balloons up a bit too, so looks like there's more..

Kimchi: I got a message from Sunflower on her blog that my jar of shrimp should be fine, so I'm glad I didn't throw them out. I shall freeze some small batches for future kimchi.

I ended up following her recipe to the letter this time. I didn't have the heart to taste the shrimp, as they look like maggots, however they did not smell of anything, so I presume it must be a much more delicate flavour they add to the kimchi. Tasting it "fresh", I think my previous version using the kelp stock was nicer as a fresh version, but that may be tempered by the thought of those maggots! I think I'll add both next time.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:31 pm

I had some Korean meat balls the other day, they really were the dogs bol*****s :lol:

In all seriousness, I visited a Korean BBQ place in Manchester near St Peter's Square, I had a dish called Gamjatang (Sorry if I have mis-spelt it). It was sodding lovely. Melty pork in a broth of pork bones, cabbage, soya bean paste, and ginger with a load of leaves which tasted a little bit like fennel but grassier. The lady who worked in there told me what they were called but I had drank a few large glasses of beer and can't remember what she said :D
Last edited by WhitefieldFoodie on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox