Register

Chili - add some chocolate?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Chili - add some chocolate?

Postby Binky » Fri May 19, 2017 4:21 pm

I've decided to make a vegetarian chili tonight and have looked at a few recipes.

I usually use the same old faithful one but thought I'd try something different this evening.

Quite a lot of them suggest adding two squares of dark chocolate. I am a bit apprehensive, never having done that before, but do any of you add chocolate (and if so, would you do it again?)

Re: Chili - add some chocolate?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 pm

Hello Binky

I have never added dark chocolate to a chilli before but I do get the concept. I would suggest you use one containing a minimum of 85% cocoa solids, and add either half to one square as you are a little apprehensive about it. You can always taste it to see what you think before either adding any more or leaving as it is.

Postby Binky » Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks. I will try one square and see how it tastes as you suggest.

The concept is a bit weird though, so should be an interesting experiment. :?

Postby kavey » Fri May 19, 2017 6:00 pm

Yep, I do a variation of someone else's variation of a Nigella recipe and that includes chocolate.
It's really just adding a savoury note - you do need to use dark chocolate not sweet milky stuff!

Postby Renée » Fri May 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Yes, I have used a couple of squares of dark chocolate in a Mexican chilli and it worked very well. I didn't taste chocolate, but it added depth to the flavour and seemed to balance the flavours.

Postby Binky » Fri May 19, 2017 6:58 pm

We have both scoffed a bowlful of the veggie chili. My husband didn't know there was chocolate in it but commented on the taste - he said it was more 'meaty' and had I used a different soya mince? The corn bread was easy peasy to make and a definite hit with both of us.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 19, 2017 7:08 pm

That looks rather good Binky! :clap

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri May 19, 2017 8:02 pm

Looks a cracking bake that, Binky.

Very jealous.

Postby Renée » Sat May 20, 2017 12:32 am

I feel so hungry looking at those pictures, Binky!

Postby QinNortham » Sat May 20, 2017 8:42 am

Binky, looks good.

Mr Q likes me to put a small amount of chocolate in a chilli, mainly because he lived Texas for a while & frequently visited Mexico. However he once got more than he bargained for. One Christmas I was planning a chilli for the day after Boxing Day. Now Mr Q is a devil for chocolate and I had hidden a bar of very upmarket stuff in the slow cooker and promptly forgot what I'd done. Switch SC on to heat up and about 20 minutes later my nose started twitching "why can I smell chocolate?". Hey Ho, fortunately the whole bar had not melted so I just carried on cooking.

PS Binky, Cross Boarding here. There's a thread in Peets re a huge law suit regarding an adverse post on Trip Advisor. Wondered if you'd heard any more from the hotel in SA?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 am

I've made cornbread in the past, particularly to accompany gumbo, but I can't get past the fact that I feel it is like eating cake with your main meal, which just doesn't seem right...

I guess on the chocolate front, just don't use so much chocolate that it tastes like chocolate! When I've used it, it's just a tiny bit which enhances the flavour. I haven't bothered with it in chilli because I feel it's like pretending it's mole, and if you want mole, then go the whole hog and make the real thing. I'm not precious though, I may add a bit of choccy next time I make chilli, who knows!?

Postby Binky » Sat May 20, 2017 4:08 pm

QinNortham, I have heard no more from the 'lawyers' of the SA hotel owners, but I have had some infantile messages sent to my Tripadvisor account. I assume they are from friends or employees of the owners.

The whole thing was idiotic- I reviewed the hotel as charming but the food as meh (which they didn't like as only 5star reviews were acceptable to them). I later learned that they had threatened another reviewer and he withdrew his comments). Bullies. :evil:

Postby Amyw » Sat May 20, 2017 5:08 pm

That chilli looks amazing Binky.ive used 90% chocolate before in chilli and thought I discerned a bit more depth of flavour, but could have been wishful thinking on my part

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat May 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Bit late to the party, Binky, but yes; I add dark chocolate to a chili and it works wonderfully well. Just a square or two will do.
I also (occasionally) add a tsp of coffee. The real thing, mind, not Nescafé!!
There are many artisan bean-to-bar chocolate makers over this side of the ocean who make dark chocolate with chiles and sea salt. Extraordinarily good!

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat May 20, 2017 10:41 pm

I have occasionally used a little cocoa in a chilli, it does seems to add a depth of flavour.

Chilli and chocolate are two great foods. I've tried various chilli chocolates, but must confess they don't do it for me, albeit I appreciate that many people really like them.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 22, 2017 12:07 pm

I like the Montezuma chilli chocolate, but haven't liked others so much

Montezuma annoys me though as they only mark the top half of the slab into squares, the rest is flat with their logo onit, and really hard to break up

Postby jeral » Mon May 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:...[clip]...

Montezuma annoys me though as they only mark the top half of the slab into squares, the rest is flat with their logo onit, and really hard to break up

Ho ho. They're no fools. Once you've broken a slab you naturally have to "tidy up" all the little bits, plus have to eat at least one big bit and the rest's not really enough to save is it? especially if playing on many people's OCD about neatness so haphazard shards simply have to go... I think Yorkie bars gained from that as it was counter-intuitive to save half a gnawed bar or attempt to cut it up.

It must be Monday if my brain's not in gear yet.

Saw some amazingly large pomegranates today. Pomegranate and choccie couscous anyone?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox