Register

Food that looks as disgusting as it sounds!

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Food that looks as disgusting as it sounds!

Postby jeral » Sun May 28, 2017 12:24 am

Talking of live food, I saw a Youtube or something ages ago where they were eating live octopus, although seemingly a bit daft as the suckers on the tentacles could cling to your throat and choke you. Well, why would they go down without a fight?

Very Russian roulette so it beats me why anyone would want to attempt to eat one.

Postby Petronius » Mon May 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Sorry, I still need some help in understanding.

Sakkarin posts a pic of Portuguese Lamprey Rice.

Joanbunting, as ever helpful, tells us, 'some cooks make it look rather nice.

a lot of people simply won't try because of the name and/or knowing that it is sheep feet and tripe!'
with a link to lots of wonderful foodie photos, the first of which looks like a chicken leg with something nasty sticking out of it.

Are we talking about a dish that has lamprey, sheep's feet and tripe?

Be kind. Thank you.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Dennis. Sorry if we've confused you!

The lampreys and the pieds et paquets are two different things. I just found s selection of illustrations of the latter and was wondering if perhaps, no matter what the ingredients more people might be prepared to try a dish if it looks good and is well presented.

I think they probably would but others get no further than the name especially if they get a clue as to what it really is.

I have an example. I had the great pleasure of eating at Pierre Koffmann's restaurant in London (sadly closed recently)

His signature dishes included stuffed pigs trotters. I was eager to try them. When they arrived they looked utterly delicious, glazed and beautiful on a bed of gorgeous puree potato. At the table next to us was an American lady who said she thought my dish looked lovely and asked what it was. When I told her her face went almost white and she said she couldn't eat that. However one of her friends decided it was good enough to eat , ordered it and enjoyed it as much as I had.

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipe ... ter-recipe

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon May 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Dennis, I wonder if you missed my very first line of this thread, which says

"This week's challenge: find online and post a pic here of a dish that looks as disgusting as it sounds."

I picked it out in bold to emphasise it, but it may have had the opposite effect!

Postby Petronius » Mon May 29, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks Joan, now I understand - to misquote The Life of Brian, you are a very naughty girl by posting a lot of lovely photos. :thumbsup

Loved the photo of pigs trotters. Did have a go once at cooking one. Somehow it wasn't successful. :thumbsdown

Yes Sakks, I did notice your embolden sentence.

The mac4mac Forum has a lovely emoji, a notice board with 'Off Topic' on it. If we had one it might stop this old man getting confused! ;)

Postby Binky » Mon May 29, 2017 9:00 pm

We had a cookery book when I was little that had a photo of Stargazey Pie.

A Revolting thing, with fish heads sticking out of it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client= ... 7yqQfR6fdM:

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 29, 2017 10:30 pm

I've always wanted to try Stargazy pie, fish heads don't worry me

Going off at a slight tangent, cuttlefish or squid in ink doesn't actually look too bad, though I know people who shudder at the thought or the sight of it

However anyone who has eaten it looks like one of the minor demons in Buffy, my advice is wear plenty of lippy so you can remove and reapply after dinner, losing the charcoal tinted lips

Postby Pampy » Tue May 30, 2017 11:16 am

I was once taken to a "proper" Chinese restaurant in Manchester's China town by a couple of Chinese friends (who actually owned their own restaurant). They ordered the meal for us, which included chicken feet and fish maw. I was persuaded to try them and was surprised to discover that I really quite enjoyed them.

Postby Binky » Tue May 30, 2017 11:53 am

Pampy, I had always thought that people made stock from the feet but didn't actually eat them. Were they a bit crispy? There's hardly any meat on them.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 30, 2017 1:29 pm

I remember my first day working in Soho nearly 40 years ago, and on my first day we all went for a communal Dim Sum, and the trolley they brought round for us to choose from had a big tray of chicken feet. Not for me then, but I would be intrigued to know how you deal with them and what it tastes like!

I'd love to try making the Koffman trotters (I have at least two recipes), but the ingredients are out of my league :-(

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Never been offered chickens' feet, but I have eaten these and very tasty they were:

http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/08/offal ... tterlings/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Oh dearie me, at least 50 chickens gave their lives for that tray of cockscombs :-(

That's a whole flock!

Postby Petronius » Tue May 30, 2017 4:38 pm

A documentary about Smithfield market made the point the chicken traders loved the Chinese customers as they took the whole bird, no preparation needed. Our local fish shop feels the same way about our local Philippinoes.

OH's Dad used to make Chitterlings, she loved them but Mum did not like the smell.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 pm

The feet were gelatinous and bony - bones were spat out at the side of your bowl, onto the paper tablecloth.
Petronius - the 1 remaining fishmonger on Blackburn market says that the Asian people who buy from him take the whole fish too. I bought a salmon from him one day and he filleted it for me. There was an Asian lady waiting to be served behind me and when I told the fishmonger that I didn't want the head and trimmings, she asked me if she could have them.

Postby Luca » Tue May 30, 2017 8:01 pm

Joanbunting wrote:This is a bit of a cheat really because some cooks make it look rather nice.

However I know a lot of people simply won't try because of the name and/or knowing that it is sheep feet and tripe! I adore it however

https://www.google.fr/search?q=photos+p ... -56ZKdvqVM:

Yum!

Postby Renée » Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 pm

Oh dear! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I once had a meal in Manchester Chinatown with a friend from Malaysia and her cousin, who happily chewed on chicken feet!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 31, 2017 12:48 am

Pampy wrote:There was an Asian lady waiting to be served behind me and when I told the fishmonger that I didn't want the head and trimmings, she asked me if she could have them.

Years ago I used to buy chickens from a butcher who dressed them only when sold. Often when I opened the packet there were multiple sets of giblets, as he'd chuck in those people hadn't wanted knowing I'd use them. Very good gravy, happy cat!

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed May 31, 2017 10:04 am

Very good gravy, happy cat!

One dish I inherited from dad's side of the family is giblet stew. I collect bags of innards in the freezer until there's a suitable batch, then make a dinner out of it. Livers are treated separately - fried up in bacon sandwiches - but the necks, gizzards and hearts are stewed. It's only me eating it though. The first time I cooked it for Mrs B she ate something she thought was a mushroom - but wasn't :shock:

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:47 am

I`ve got a chef friend who specializes in Amazonian cooking. Apart from teaching me how to make Tarantula Popsicles :shock: he always feeds me a spoonful of these:

bachacos fritos.jpg
fried giant ants
bachacos fritos.jpg (67.29 KiB) Viewed 7261 times

They`re not as bad as they look; spicy and crunchy, to be honest.
The other delicacy which I actually enjoy is something called Lemon Termites. These termites (deep-fried) inhabit a lemon-scented tree, so the flavour is retained.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:23 pm

I think I'll bring my own snacks if I ever get invited to yours, KK :-(

That said, they are the tastiest looking fried ants I've seen.

EDIT: Oxymoron of the day, found while googling Fried Giant Ants: "Edible Insects".

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox