Register

Food that looks as disgusting as it sounds!

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Food that looks as disgusting as it sounds!

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Renée wrote:I can well imagine, Pampy! :lol: Chopsticks are good for dieting too!

They're not bad for learning tattoo drumming.
Or maybe a better use is for bashing maggots on the head...

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:17 pm

How about fly sandwiches? ;) Well, Garibaldi biscuits do look disgusting if imagined literally.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Yip, those cheeses are revolting.

Joan, I've had sea urchin in Sicily - spaghetti you'll be pleased to know ;) Delightful.

I've had snails in the past, but it's the garlic butter I loved, not the snails.
And froggy leggies, but it's the garlic tomato sauce I loved, not the frogs legs.

Garibaldi bics are lovely too, Jeral.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I like snails, but agree, someone once pointed out that if you prepared fragments of Dunlopillo in the same way it would be pretty good

Don't like frog's legs, chicken scented with stagnant pond water doesn't do it for me and in any case I'd boycott most of the Asian imports, seldom sustainable and very low welfare generally

I once ate two whelks as the amuse bouche in a Paris restaurant, and was promptly given two more, apparently the first Brit even to sample them (they were delicious)

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:04 pm

I once ate two whelks as the amuse bouche in a Paris restaurant, and was promptly given two more, apparently the first Brit even to sample them (they were delicious)

I think whelks are going out of fashion a bit here - they're standard fare on the formerly eponymous seafood stalls, but less popular than formerly. I can't think there's anything objectionable about the flavour, quite the opposite, but the texture might be considered challenging. Maybe some people don't like the look of them either.

Apart from the odd half pint off a stall I've certainly had them as a component on an assiette de fruits de mer either side of the Channel.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:41 pm

I love whelks(bulots). Funnily enough one of the starters on the menu on Sunday was bulot tartare. A French lady at the next table asked what that meant.

Not my choice on that day but they did look good,

I'm the same as you about frogs legs Sue. I have eaten them but only if they are from Bresse and they were rather good. When the kids were little M ordered them and then proceeded to make them (the frogs legs) do the can can on the edge of the plate. That was after we had passed a sign outside a restaurant which announced the dish of the day as Frog and Chips.

Postby Pampy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:38 pm

In the late 1960s, I went on a school trip to Spain. We travelled overland and stopped in Paris for a meal - which was frog and chips :vomit

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:34 pm

[French] OH and I took selfies outside a Bordeaux bar called the Frog and Rosbif :D

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox