Register

Okra

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Okra

Postby Binky » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:31 pm

We have lots of fresh okra in the fridge that needs eating today or tomorrow at the latest.

I know that I can do a curry, with tomatoes/onions/ginger/garlic, but are there any other ideas out there?

Re: Okra

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Tempura'd with a mango chutney?

Postby Binky » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Would I need to use gram flour for that?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:34 pm

My favourite okra dish is Gumbo, but it is a bit of a faff. I've made cornbread with it on this piccy, but I prefer it with plain white rice.

http://carta.co.uk/beebstuff/gumbo.htm

EDIT - P.S. Confession: Every time anyone mentions Okra, I always think "Okra Winfrey".

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:29 am

Binky wrote:Would I need to use gram flour for that?

Nope just normal flour, baking powder, egg yolk and soda water.

Slice the okra length ways, and get them fried. As soon as they come out sprinkle with sea salt :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 pm

I love okra the way the Lebanese make it. Stewed with tomatoes and onions in lots and lots of olive oil.
Or sliced in half, lengthwise; stir-fried then mixed with onions, garlic, ginger, green chiles, indian spices and tomatoes.
Deep-fried; sliced into 1/2 inch pieces, sprinkled with salt and chile powder. Fry until crispy.
If you want to spend ages in the kitchen (because it`s raining outside :lol: ) then make a mixture of grated coconut, tamarind, onion, green chile, salt, garam masala and brown sugar. Make a slit down the side of each okra and stuff them, then poach gently till tender.
You could also pickle them. They`re delish as a snack.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:50 pm

We've been away, thus this is too late, but one dish I have made successfully is an okra soup. It's more of a stew, is of African origin and perhaps is the forerunner of gumbo. Essentially the okra is cooked with onions, dried shrimps and hot peppers. I have made it a few times many years ago, using Scotch Bonnets, so it was quite lively.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 pm

I spotted a couple of packs of reduced-price okra winfrey at Sainos, which reminded me of this thread and the cornbread discussion on Chatterbox, so I ended making my favourite gumbo.

This time I went for the cornbread instead of rice, to give it a second chance. Making the cornbread as a loaf ended up far better than the "cornbread cakes" I made last time, as it was all soft and fluffy, a bit like madeira cake, but savoury. It went down really well.

Here's the cornbread recipe I used, which is different from the others I've seen posted, in that there is no egg. I wonder if it would work with all cornmeal though...

140g Fine Cornmeal
140g Plain Flour
2 tbs Brown Sugar
1.5 tbs Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
2 tbs Oil
300ml Milk
50ml Water

Add the wet stuff to the dry stuff and whisk thoroughly, pour into loaf tin and bake for 30 mins at 200 deg C.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:33 pm

looks nice
My guess is you'd need either wheat or egg to let it rise? Corn pone (a cake made with all cornmeal) is kind of the missing link between regular cake and polenta

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox