Register

Angel Delight

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Angel Delight

Postby Binky » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:55 pm

I feel utterly ashamed to confess this, but we had chocolate Angel Delight tonight after dinner.

It was simplicity itself to whisk up the half pint of milk and chocolate powder.

We haven't had this pudding since we were young 'uns in our twenties, and short of time and cash. The AD tonight was a trip down memory lane.

Do you have any guilty food secrets?

Re: Angel Delight

Postby Pampy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Angel Delight does it for me too!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:11 am

I used to love the butterscotch version of AD

But my guilty pleasure in the dessert line these days is Mr Whippy type sift ice cream

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:14 am

I suppose one of my worst guilty pleasures is Doner Kebabs, and not only when I'm drunk...

However in practice after a couple of really greasy ones, and of course the constant question as to what iexactly is in a doner, I've always gone for the chicken kebab, which being made of pure chicken breast cooked to order is a far healthier option. I can't remember my last doner. My favourite was from my local chippie, but they changed hands several years ago and dropped kebabs from their menu, but long after I'd already converted to chicken kebabs. Fab fish and chips though.

I'd go for Angel Delight. If it makes anyone feel any better about it, maybe it could be considered the first experiment in molecular gastronomy, as most of the ingredients look like something you'd get from a chemist rather than a grocers.

Sugar, Palm Oil, Modified Starch, Emulsifiers (Propylene Glycol Esters of Fatty Acids, Lecithins), Gelling Agents (Sodium Phosphates, Diphosphates), Lactose (Milk), Milk Proteins, Strawberry Powder (2%), Whey Powder (Milk), Calcium Carbonate, Anti-Caking Agent (Silicon Dioxide), Colours (Beetroot Red, Carotenes), Flavouring

Postby Renée » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Well, it does seem to contain real strawberries, although in the powder form and natural colours, so that's something! :lol:

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:02 pm

I used to be in school with a girl we nicknamed 'Angel Delight'.....

because..........

She was easy to make................!

:o ;) ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:33 pm

The only one that would worry me about those ingredients is the palm oil, which is not sustainable, not harmful though

I'm sure they used to use Ponceau red (nasty) and I thought they used sodium alginate (seaweed extract) but maybe that was Dream Topping or Instant Whip

Postby Renée » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:21 pm

That was funny, Lush! :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Ha! HA. Poor girl, Lushpot.
I bet she doesn't go to school reunions.

I'm thinking kebabs are actually rather good for you - with all that fresh raw salad and chilli sauce.

I know we had angel delight when I was young, but I cannot recall being delighted by it.
Not like mum making a drinking chocolate, or my dad coming back from the pub with a big bottle of R White's lemonade and a packet of crisps for we kids (5 or us).

My guilty secret at the moment is chocolate filous pots.
I've not looked at the calories per pot. I just love them.

Postby Renée » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:19 pm

I haven't bought one yet, but I keep eyeing up the Fray Bentos pies in a tin! :oops: I did try one once, way back when I was first married and remember the fat all dripping out of it. It was puff pastry.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Never liked AD but I still love Primula cheese spread,

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:04 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:my dad coming back from the pub with a big bottle of R White's lemonade

An immediate image & soundtrack of THAT advert from a few years back sprang into the ol' brainbox then Grilly - it was brilliant! Bet those crisps tasted the business........!

I've never done school reunions - the thought gives me the creeps somehow - a bit like facebook - there's a good reason why I would not have kept in touch with some people - because I didn't want to.......so why now? I just don't get it.......

I do tho' have a very funny (dirty) story of an ex-neighbour who ended up regularly bonking her brains out down at a seafront hotel when she got in touch with old friends via 'Friends Reunited '

:lol: :lol:

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Yep, I've been singing that advert for a couple of hours now... Fizz was an expensive luxury (still is) although a Barrett's sherbert fountain came close.

As to guilty, I'd be like a dog protecting its bone if you tried to prize my beloved BE custard powder from my sticky mitts.

AD is easy to make though. Do you remember Dream Topping that you could whisk by hand until blue in the face and get nowhere :cry:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:59 pm

I always imagined they were the same thing with slightly different packaging :-(

Dream Topping was always a special treat, as we either had evaporated milk or that really nasty canned cream, or lumpy birds custard with a horrible skin as the other options.

I see that it has lashings of Hydrogenated Veg Oil to differentiate it from Angel Delight, Dream Topping ingredients:

Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Sugar, Emulsifiers: Propane-1, 2-diol Esters of Fatty Acids, Soya Lecithin, Milk Lactose, Milk Proteins, Whey Powder from Milk, Stabiliser: Carboxymethyl Cellulose, Flavourings, Colour: Beta-Carotene

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:04 am

I loved canned cream

My mum had a recipe for a really easy home made ice cream using canned cream, but I've lost it

Can you still get canned cream

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:46 am

Canned cream is still available.

It's on a Sainsbury's website (shows ingredients): http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/ ... cream-170g

But, the usual Sainsbury site only shows a Nestle "topping" of skimmed milk and veg oil.

Here is the same proper cream on Amazon, sold as 12 pack. Dear as the price includes "free" P&P:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/12-Pack-Nestle ... tles+cream

I couldn't find it listed in the Mysupermarket sweep of them all, but it's not always right.

I like it too by the way. I never whip it as just leaving it in the fridge thickens it. It was good with salad cream mixed in to dress sliced hardboiled eggs, with paprika sprinkle, if you don't like gloopy mayo.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks jeral
Never heard of anyone whipping it
May have to try it if I see it in Sainos

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:43 am

Wow, Binky! Angel Delight; food of the Gods when I was a kid!!

The first dinner party I ever threw ( at uni in 1971) consisted of Vegetable Risotto ( Uncle Ben`s and a packet of Birds Eye mixed veg) and Angel Delight. :gonzo :gonzo

As for Doner kebabs - absolutely obligatory after a skinful up the Tottenham Court Rd :shock: :shock:
You just had to follow the smell of onions to find one...

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:43 am

Boil in the tin pies is what has put me off pies I think, Renee.
Soggy bottoms and tops. My family loved them.

Clive, glad things have improved then.
My first dinner party meal as a student was Old el Paso tacos.

I made a trifle some time ago. Going to the lengths of baking a cake for it, making crem-pat. Finest ingredients (sort of).
But it was nowhere near as good as old school dream topping, hundreds and thousands, birds custard and sponge fingers.

Postby QinNortham » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:29 am

Renee, do give the Frey Bentos another go, they are delish, Mr Q & self love them, chicken one is good as well. It was only a few years ago that I fessed up to Mr Q about this secret vice and he replied he loved them too! Definitely comfort food. Gill, the FB's are baked in the oven and the puff pastry really does puff up.

Lush, we know someone who met a girlfriend of some 30 years previously. He waited to announce his departure from the family home till Christmas Day, this didn't go down very well. His children (grown up) haven't spoken to him since. He moved in with the "other woman" and she threw him out 6 months later. PS the new phone went kaput recently so we currently don't have a message facility if you call.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox