Register

Angel Delight

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Angel Delight

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:36 am

That's such a cliche, Q.
What a plonker.

That's rather fortunate that you both enjoy the same pie.

I've just remembered that it's probably being brought up with evap. canned cream that I use coffee compliment powder in my coffee these days.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:28 am

Coffee Compliment? That's as much a chemical brew as Angel Delight!

Water, Vegetable Oils (Coconut, Palm), Maltodextrin, Milk Proteins, Sugar, Acidity Regulators (Disodium Phosphate, Sodium Bircarbonate), Emulsifiers (Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Polysorbate 60), Stabiliser (Carrageenan), Colour (Beta-Carotene)

Still preferable to evap though.

Incidentally I would have thought the correct word was "complement" not "compliment".

Complement:
A thing that contributes extra features to something else in such a way as to improve or emphasize its quality.

Compliment:
A polite expression of praise or admiration.

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:30 am

Well, that's it, QinNortham! I'm going to Sainos this morning and am feeling like some comfort food at the mo, so will pick up an individual pie and not the larger one! I suppose that plenty of veg with it will make it healthier?

Postby QinNortham » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:39 am

Gill, plonker doesn't begin to describe what people at the rugby club called him and he got no sympathy when thrown out by the "other woman".

Nearly forgot, Mr Q sometimes has a yearning for a tin of mandarin orange segments but not asked for the Carnation to go with them.

Renee, oh we go the whole hog and have a tin of mushy peas alongside!

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:04 am

Message received loud & clear Q - techie gremlins have spread from Hove to Devon then!

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:43 am

Sorry, QN! Absolutely NO mushy peas! It must have been early 60s when I last had one of those pies and certainly before I started cooking for children.

Postby Binky » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Blimey. I thought that you were all gourmets.....but the secret's out now. Fray Bentos pies, tinned mushy peas, evaporated milk, Dream Topping, and coffee-mate.

We only need someone to mention how they secretly desire a Vesta chow mein, and we'll have an 'Artificial Foods' bingo call of 'House!!'

:klingonbanana

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Sakkarin, I think there's a mistake on that list of ingredients.
They've forgotten to include the complimentary creamy cream that's surely in there.

Binky.
I draw the line at bingo! :gonzo

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Binky, I think that Vesta Chow Mein was my first introduction to Chinese food! Mind you, it was very many years ago! I think that everyone loved the crispy noodles that went on top.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 pm

We didn't all eat Dream Topping, it was just mentioned Binky, always loathed it, never had it at home, last had it when it cropped up in a trifle kit when I was a student, many moons ago

I do remember making Instant Whip in a washing up bowl to feed a pack of Brownies, but in my defence it was 1964 and I much preferred Brown and Polson's blancmange :lol:

With you on the Vesta crispy noodles Renee, I do think everyone liked them, but no wish to revisit the rest of the meal

There are lots of recipes around for Chinese American crispy noodles but none seem to make the puffed up Vesta kind

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:26 pm

I'd better post tonight's meal on here. It was alright, but way too filling for me these days.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:32 am

Good for you, Renee.
You really are up for it, and make me smile.

Postby Renée » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:20 am

It was just a one-off, Gill! There was steam coming off the peas and beans which made them look slightly blurred.

Sue, I once looked into the ingredients for the crispy noodles and they contain Rice Flour, Wheat Flour, Tapioca Starch, Ground Turmeric, Salt.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:45 pm

Sue, I once looked into the ingredients for the crispy noodles and they contain Rice Flour, Wheat Flour, Tapioca Starch, Ground Turmeric, Salt.

Thanks that's useful
Mainly noodles are made with one flour, not three, never seen any that look like that mix
Next time I'm deep frying I should try frying one of each noodle I have, probably rice more likely to work as they are already cooked

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:49 pm

Curiously the crispy noodles are the only edible part of Vesta Chow Mein.

Postby Renée » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:26 pm

:lol: :lol: That is so true, Sakks! Surprisingly, I still see Vesta products in the supermarkets.

Postby Renée » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:28 pm

Prawn crackers puff up too, Sue, but they're made from cassava flour and not rice flour.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:45 pm

I was thinking of prawn crackers, too, so maybe the tapioca starch is key to the puffiness.

I've had rice vermicelli fried, and they puff up a bit, but not sure the expansion is of prawn cracker proportions.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:17 pm

The thing that aways amazed me about prawn crackers is that they actually contain prawn.

The amount rice vermicelli puff up varies hugely from brand to brand. For "mee grop" (Thai puffed rice noodles), my favourite were the Sharwood straight ones, but they seem to have disappeared from supermarket shelves these days. The temperature has to be spot on too, or they don't puff properly. They certainly don't puff as much as prawn crackers though.

Indian farfar are made of potato starch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9tNNJWxKs

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:34 pm

I have been known to make deep fried rice noodles to top a HM stir fry. They always go down well with the GCs.

A Fray bentos pie was my feast 12 hours after DD was born. I know I have told the tale of the problems M and his friend had cooking it. Never had another since.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox