Register

Rock buns

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Rock buns

Postby Binky » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Have these become 'unfashionable' or something? I have been looking in various books and can't find a recipe, and think that the last ones I baked were from the Be-Ro book c. 1975

Does anyone have a reliable recipe to share please?

Re: Rock buns

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:41 pm

The BeRo recipes are online
I can't link to a single one, but if you go to the List of All Recipes they are in alphabetical order, and Rock Buns are definitely there

https://be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.html

Postby Renée » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Rock buns were the first things that I made at school in the cookery lesson. This brings back memories, Binky!

Postby Suelle » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 pm

These are the most modern recipes for rock cakes I've come across:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... dan-lepard

The second recipe, for gingerbread rock cakes, is very good!
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:12 pm

I too would go with a Bero recipe. The first cookery lesson I had at school was rock buns. I was 11 and I could already make fruit cakes, whisked and Victoria sponges etc. I remeber Mum saying rock buns are for badly brought up girls who have never been taught to cook. However I do recall a number of my class who were thrilled at the idea of making something they could eat. You do have to start somewhere after all.

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:42 pm

Absolutely, Joan! I hated cooking at school, because I preferred to work on my own and not have to wait to use equipment. It was one of my worst subjects!

Postby DEB » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:48 pm

I remember making rock buns with Mrs B., who used to look after my friend and sometimes me too. Think Mrs Tiggywinkle :D
We must have been about six, I think she thought that rubbing in was suitable for little hands that were so well scrubbed I'm surprised the buns didn't taste of Wright's Coal Tar soap

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Probably the first thing I ever made, when my age was still in single figures.

Three virtually identical recipes from my three old books! I'll leave you to convert to pounds shillings and pence...

Basically 8/4/4/4/2 ratio plus an egg...

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:09 pm

Yep - rock cakes were the first thing I made at school cookery lessons too - I never liked them - dry 'orrible things - but I came back home with them in my wicker basket with an immaculately clean cloth on top ( as all good girls did :) ) & they were made a big fuss of even tho' we all knew if one of them fell on the floor it would have broken a tile...........!!!

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Forgot to add - next up were fairy cakes which were a lot nicer & much more to a little girl's taste with the buttercream spread between the 'wings' of the fairy............used to lurve that buttercream & licked as much as I could off the bowl..........would literally throw up now ..............

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Just made a half-batch with wholemeal self raising flour (only SR I had) and they're rather nice! A bit sweet though, so I'd go with the Dairy recipe. And cos it uses butter too. Wicked.

Now for a nice cup of tea to wash them down.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Actually they're a bit too sickly sweet and I feel like I've overdosed on sugar now :-(

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Oooo poor you Saks - nothing like when you fancy that 'something ' with a cup of tea & it turns into tooooooooo much

I halve at least all the sugar in baked recipes that I can get away with - & in banana cake etc. I don't add any at all - it's a work in progress - I find most recipes don't need the sugar.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:18 pm

I haven't made rock buns for ages, but I have got a couple of recipes.

Neither Mr Strictly or I have a particularly sweet tooth generally speaking. Buttercream is made on very rare occasions in our house, and with much less sugar than the recipe states. I am also a bit mean with the portions of it.
I do my best try to avoid eating anything with it on whilst in cafes or tea rooms.

Speaking of overly sweet stuff, we have got Harmony potatoes (which are normal ones) in the house at the moment which are really sickly. We've had them before and they've been OK, so recent weather must have had a strange effect on them. Put it this way, if I am boiling them I'll be mashing them with either mustard or Worcester sauce to make them palatable.

Postby Lizzie-47 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:34 pm

My mum (a reluctant cook) used to make truly appalling rock buns each week, and we weren't allowed to eat any shop-bought biscuits/cake until all the rock buns were gone! Looking back, this was a canny move, saved money on shop-bought goodies, and ensured we didn't overdo it on the sugary stuff!

Postby Binky » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Thank you for your recipe ideas. I am taking a batch on holiday with me, to eat with our afternoon tea.

Speaking of mums being terrible cooks, absolutely no-one could have had worse than mine. No interest whatsoever in cookery; we ate to live, not lived to eat etc.

One of her 'specialties' was an egg custard that seemed to sit in the oven for ages, smelling of nutmeg. Very tempting, except the custard was always below the pastry (that is, there was a pastry lid where there should have been a pastry case). How on earth did she always manage to do that?

:crying2

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Custard Tatin?

I always loved visiting my aunty's, as it was the only time we got decent food. I learnt many years later that my cousins hated coming over to ours as the food was so disgusting. Usually boiled mince.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox