Register

Anyone "into" spirulina?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Anyone "into" spirulina?

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Some sort of sea plant (it's vegan). I've bought some... Maybe it can be "lost" in something, without wrecking the something. Or maybe I should leave it in the cupboard until I find a clothes peg (tastebud confuser) or until it goes out of date lol.

Strangely different prices. The ones I found were either price "n" or elsewhere twice that price for no obvious reason if protein content and being organic are the same.

Any thoughts?

Re: Anyone "into" spirulina?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 pm

We had a previous discussion of spirulina

I gave my opinion at some length :oops: :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3264&p=46319&hilit=Spirulina#p46251

Postby Renée » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:46 pm

It is an algae which has been around for about 3 1/2 billion years. It has a good protein content and many other nutrients, also a good Omega 3 contest. I can remember buying the tablets from a health shop many years ago, but they seemed to cause an upset stomach, so I stopped taking them!

I don't know how you could use it. Maybe in a soup?

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:11 pm

Many thanks folks :)

@ Stokey Sue: When you said "we" had a discussion, I thought I must be losing it having no memory of it at all, so 'tis good to see I wasn't in that discussion. For the future, I've logged spirulina into brain as "pond scum" :)

Maybe mine will be a one-off purchase. I bought some kelp tablets once, but was put off by the possible side effects that it could increase likelihood of acne and make hair grow (not just on head). Maybe I'm happier sticking to less concentrated things like spinach and cabbage.

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:01 am

I seem to remember that the kelp is good for the hair and skin. Of course it contains iodine. I don't mind hair on my head, but nowhere else, thank you!

I can remember Pond Scum, but not spirulina.

Postby QinNortham » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:29 am

I took the stuff for a while some years ago, it was revolting. Our vegan house sitters mixed it with still mineral water and drank industrial quantities (alternating with industrial quantities of red wine).

At the time my 2 stepsons were taking GCSEs/AS/A Levels I inflicted it on them because our very expensive Health Food shop (Gill will know the one I mean) said it was just the ticket, I was not very popular although when SS no2 was doing his A Levels he actually asked me to get More!

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:35 am

I trust that your vegan house sitters made sure that their wine was vegan, Q! ;)

Postby QinNortham » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:51 am

Renee, I bought vegan wine for them and they brought some with them. They also brought their own chopping boards & knives but were quite happy to feed the cats their food which of course can't be veggie nor vegan.

Postby Luca » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Pond scum.... Yikes! I shall finish mine off in smoothies but won't bother with it again.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox