Register

Rickenstein

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Rickenstein

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Who would have thought the good people of Padstow would gang up against Saint Rick of Padstow!!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... n-cornwall

Re: Rickenstein

Postby Renée » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:06 am

That's very unfair, because as said in the article, the restaurant wants a reliable and consistent supply and I very much doubt that pollack will be on the menu - not that there's anything wrong with the fish.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:18 am

Curiously he has a go at pollock specifically in this article just 3 months ago! I'd have presumed he was one of these "make the most of what's available" types of chefs, but clearly I'm wrong.

http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/rest ... 95111.html

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:42 am

He's always regarded it as inferior - iirc he once suggested that salting was a good way of using sustainable gadoids. I'm talking pollocks, obviously.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:22 pm

It's Hugh F-W who is a fan of lightly salting pollack I think
It seems to be a divisive fish, some French Chefs (notably Pascal Aussignac at Club Gascon) love the more delicate texture, that cooks through evenly, some Brits regard it as fishy cotton wool. Ricky is clearly in the cotton wool camp

I had the pave of pollack (lieu) at club Gascon some years ago, it was beautifully delicate, and in retrospect I suspect the salting technique was applied

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:21 pm

It's Hugh F-W who is a fan of lightly salting pollack I think

That might well be the case. However, in the Seafood Odyssey there's a recipe for a chickpea, parsley and salt cod stew, which involves salting fresh cod. It's a nice one that I have done a few times. Alternative fish are given in a dialogue box, with the general suggestion that cheaper members of the cod family benefit from salting and that it's a particularly good thing to do to Pollack.

I note however, that the other gadoids are referred to as cheaper, rather than more sustainable. HF-W would definitely have used the s word I think, which suggests my earlier post might be slightly misleading.

The take-home message is surely that if both Rick and Hugh think it's a good idea, you should try it! :thumbsup

I do salt white fish for some dishes. It's not as fibrous as fibrous or as strongly flavoured as ready-made, but is different from fresh. My grandparents ate 'proper' salt fish, I had it as a child and have always enjoyed it in various cuisines. If I cook salt fish and ackee or brandade de morue I might use the proper stuff or might use home-made. I often keep a pack of coley fillets in the freezer. It salts well and unsalted makes a surprisingly good ceviche.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 pm

I read the Grauniad article after I`d read the same story in the Torygraph and the Mail. I thought the Grauniad approach made for a perfect non-article. I read it and thought " so what?".
Then I read the comments, and I thought they made perfect sense, especially when they commented on a whingeing fisherman who simply didn`t know how to sell his catch. Oh, and those fine upstanding Brits who seethe and gnash their teeth when someone else is successful! 8-)

Postby Renée » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:08 pm

You've got it in one there, KK.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:16 am

Shock horreur he gets his fish from someone 20miles away.
He's destroying the planet with his evil footprint.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox