Register

Arrgh! Yet another “S/Mkt Secrets” TV prog

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Arrgh! Yet another “S/Mkt Secrets” TV prog

Postby jeral » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Monday 19 June BBC1 9pm. Tomorrow’s episode is 1 of 3.

I wonder what they’re up to now…

---

Has anyone else been receiving more emails lately “Money off next shop(s)!” etc, the one after another sort that usually arrive in the run-up to Xmas, not one-a-minute in June?

Maybe the ridiculous price hikes we’ve seen lately have driven customers away, or to buying less, and desperate measures needed to get them back?

Re: Arrgh! Yet another “S/Mkt Secrets” TV prog

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:16 am

I expect they're all shopping at Aldi or Lidl! I do see some expensive cars there these days.

I'll make a note to watch the programme. I put cyber sticky notes on the desktop!

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:12 am

The timing of these programmes is wrong for me, Jeral.
Afternoon pap would suit me better for catching them, at 5pm.

9pm is my criminal/ skandi/ drama time.

& yes. I'm getting vouchers for amounts I don't really spend, the nature of my shopping. £5 off £50.
I just don't spend that much in one hit any more.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:46 am

I could have sworn I posted a reply yesterday!

Anyway, I watched about 10 minutes, just long enough to learn why so many items have disappeared off Tesco's shelves - they are copying Lidl and Aldi who stock only a small range of each product to maximise profits. I can see what they mean, Tesco carry about 300 different types of coffee where Lidl and Aldi seem to have about 3 or 4. And of course as I found out on my one and only special trip to Aldi, NO BEANS.

Postby Renée » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:39 pm

I watched most of it and found it quite enjoyable. It was particularly interesting to see how Prosecco was produced and the blending of the different wines was critical to get the right flavour. I will watch it again.

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:34 am

I mentioned earlier getting various email vouchers for money off next shop. It occurs to me that it might be due to Amazon Fresh nicking customers. They charge £6.99/mth but the prices for some things look untenably low. They offer a 30-day free trial (the sort you have to cancel if not wishing to continue). It has to be worth a try I reckon.

If anyone has joined, can you say if the low prices continue once you're "recognised" as having signed up for the monthly fee?

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:45 pm

I guess it's worth paying that if you do most of your grocery shopping there. I'm only cooking for one and enjoy browsing around the different supermarkets. I might spend less if I shopped online. :mrgreen:

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Amazon Fresh is only available in the London area at the moment. I've just been reading about it on the Techradar website:

http://www.techradar.com/news/internet/ ... ks-1322982

Postby Pampy » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Renée wrote:I guess it's worth paying that if you do most of your grocery shopping there. I'm only cooking for one and enjoy browsing around the different supermarkets. I might spend less if I shopped online. :mrgreen:

You might spend more as online shopping usually has a minimum spend - £40 for most but £60 for Waitrose.

Postby Renée » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 pm

That's too much then, Pampy, although I did shop online at Sainsbury's when I broke my ankle a few years ago, but it was only for three weeks.

Update: I've just checked and minimum spend at Sainsburys is £25.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox