Register

Gluten free bread and Instagram

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Re: Gluten free bread and Instagram

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Ha! I've just realised what the Dove loaf reminded me of - Rankin's Irish potato farts - and I realise why: potato flour is one of the main ingredients. Obvious now I think about it!

Anyway I am reporting back on my second go, this time a full-recipe one using a bigger tin. I put the loaf in the oven when the batter had risen to about an inch above the lip of the tin. One odd thing is that it did not rise a millimetre more in the oven, and when it cools it contracts, so it ended up with a dip on top.

The second thing I noticed was that the bottom half inch of the loaf had no air bubbles. It was not uncooked, but it had that crumpetty texture that I mentioned before. I can't say why that is, whether it was not fully risen (there's no way of telling...).

Anyway, once again I'm sure it would make an acceptable sandwich, and doesn't need toasting, but it's not proper bread.

EDIT: P.S. Loaf one was tin 2 and loaf two was tin 3 in this pic.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3341#p49407

Postby jeral » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Still impressive then, sandwich-wise, as bog-standard sarnies is perhaps the thing most missed (without paying an arm and a leg).

Maybe the unrisen bit at the bottom is claggy enough for dipping in soup since some g-f bread simply disintegrates.

Postby Petronius » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:27 pm

Sakks, had a chat with my coeliac friend. He uses gram flour instead of eggs because they rarely eat them but use gram flour a lot.

He suggests leaving the batter a bit longer or having it a bit thicker and baking a bit longer also.

This video might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq75iWU0h6w

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 pm

Bought some of this with a "reduced" label at £1.19, just to see what it was like as it looked interesting. It's tiny, the smallest of small loaves.

However it doesn't taste particularly wrong, just seems like any heavily seeded loaf. Quite light and springy texture. Shocked to see that the full price is £2.75, though!

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product ... =293672965

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

For info, I've just noticed that Jus-rol now do a g-f puff pastry sheet:
https://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shoppin ... ipt=click::{%22ID%22:%22Register%22}
You'll see it's in four supermarkets.

It's dear, needless to say. Normally ordinary is £1.50-ish for 320g; g-f is £2.00 for 280g. At that price it compares with £1.31 for ordinary for equal weight. Probably worth it though if no choice.

I can't see a g-f shortcrust version anywhere.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox