Register

Electric Steamer, George Foreman & Microwave

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Electric Steamer, George Foreman & Microwave

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:31 pm

Hi everybody! I am back(ish).

Moved house and we are in the process of a full refurb; New roof, new boiler and central heating, full rewire, extension, new kitchen and 2 new bathrooms. Little to say we are in a little bit of a mess.

The title explains the extent of my cooking apparatus currently, and it is driving me mad. Not being able to roast, fry or boil is really tough. Can anybody suggest an interesting technique with the above equipment which may tart up my steamed/griddled fish or chicken with steamed/microwaved veg and rice? :thumbsdown

PicsArt_1500978162875.jpg
PicsArt_1500978162875.jpg (117.24 KiB) Viewed 9215 times

Our beaten and battered house.

Re: Electric Steamer, George Foreman & Microwave

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:58 pm

Thought you were flogging 'em there for a second, looking at the title!

Can't inspire on the cooking front at the minute - but have you got a bbq? - 'twould be extremely handy right now - worth getting one if you haven't - you'll always use it.

Keep telling yourself it will all be worth it in the end :thumbsup

Postby Pampy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:27 pm

I wish you the very best of luck with the renovation. I completely modernised my house about 4 years ago (like you, I did everything - electrics, including dedicated wiring for my pyrolytic ovens and induction hob, new central heating and hot water systems, new bathrooms and en-suite, brand new kitchen - I even replaced virtually all of my furniture and all curtains/blinds). I found it really difficult, particularly when the kitchen was being done and I had to live in the dining room with only a microwave and kettle for 3 weeks!
Unfortunately, I can't help you much with recipe ideas - have you googled for microwave recipes? I seem to recall that I found a few that way but have to admit that the local takeaways had a lot of extra trade!
On a different note - will you have to change your screen name or have you stayed in the Whitefield area?
Good luck with everything and very best wishes for life in your new home.

Postby jeral » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Good luck and hope the weather stays dry for the roof work.

Have you thought of buying a jar of curry sauce for smoked haddock or chicken? If made up first on gentle power in the m/wave with double cream, the fish could then be added to cook. I usually do m/waved fish on half power in my 900W model as it cooks more evenly than on full.

A sweet & sour sauce for chicken or pork.

Baby spuds can be m/waved. I put them in a loose-lidded pot with a tbsp or so of water.

Can the Foreman act like a griddle? I'm thinking fresh tuna steaks, chicken/pork/veal escalopes, even butterfly prawns, each suitably marinated, or bog standard thin beefburgers.

Simple m/wave soups, e.g. mushroom, chickpea, marrowfat pea & ham, assuming a stick blender.

Plain rice could become veg/meat egg rice. Even pilau. Could in m/wave; I'm not familiar with steamers.

M/wave crustless flan, e.g. smoked bacon, onion, egg, optional fresh red chilli bits, worcestershire sauce.

Can you pally up with a local takeaway and get a discount for regularly ordering? Dust will probably be a big enemy.

Anyway, think of works as being transitional with lots to look forward to once done :)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:49 pm

Maybe go for one of these short term?

I'm using it for smoking here (hence outside), but these camping gas stoves are brilliant, and are often on special offer at a tenner or so - mine were just £9, so I bought two so I can have more on the go at once.

At the other extreme, part of my sous vide kit is this electric hob which cost me £10.49 online.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

My favourite toastie ....................

Cheese tomato and red onion.

steamer - I'd make vietnamese wraps

microwave ......................... ping anything.
You can make cakes in them.
I think you'll have to embrace the ready meal.

I like your house, a lot.

PS
Have you got an induction plate.
I leave one pot wonders on sometimes whilst we are out walking and come back to a meal ready.

Postby DEB » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:01 pm

I was in a similar situation a few years back, and here are a few trick I found work plus a couple of recipes.
A single gas ring or electric ring makes like much easier. I have a gas ring which work of bottle gas.

I agree that a BBQ with a lid would allow you to "roast" Chicken should be spatchcoc, Lamb joint butterflied etc. I cooked salmon for 40 on such BBQ, ask around you might be able to borrow one.

I had a slow cooker/crockpot wish was very helpful, once again a friend might be able to lend you one, if not you should be able to get one for under £30, and I use mine on average once every other week how I have a working kitchen.

"Fresh pasta" can be cooked by pouring boiling water over it and giving it few min in the microwave, or covered with sauce and heated in the microwave.

This recipe is a good start look at the tips below, I changed the flavouring and used prawns,
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/158 ... us-parcels

Another flexible recipe
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/158 ... us-parcels

Here are a few more I have used.
Remember food does not brown in a microwave so you need to check if food is cooked.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/microwave-chilli

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/401 ... -primavera

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/152 ... th-noodles

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/136 ... ie-jackets
posting.php?mode=reply&f=8&t=3406#
Hope this helps and you soon have a working kitchen.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:35 am

Whoops, apologies to Sakkarin - you've mentioned the electric plate too.
I thought it was all a part of your sous vide kit.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 am

As always, thanks for the tips!

DEB - Fresh pasta! What a good suggestion. I will knock a batch up later. :thumbsup

Gill - Again, great shout on the Viet wraps. I think I have some rice sheets in the cupboard actually, and prawns! Thanks, we love it too, it's further out of town so nice and green.

Sakks - I have managed to get hold of an electric camping stove so at least I can fry/boil stuff!

Pampy - I might need to change my name to "RamsbottomFoodie" :lol:

Jeral - The takeaway may be let off the hook now I have the camping hob :thumbsup

Lush - BBQ I do have. Unfortunately I live in Greater Manchester and it is the wettest place on the planet!

Good news. The boiler/gas/central heating installation should be done this week so I can bodge my cooker back in until the end of August when the extension starts!

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:36 pm

Then you need one of these WFF..............

https://www.gardensite.co.uk/garden-bui ... gazebo.htm

As do I..........if only I had the room.......... :(

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Ramsbottom to me is associated with Elbow :)
Sounds like it is pretty much under control, but it will be nice when it is done!

Postby Renée » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 pm

I used to love my electric frying pan. There are several makes available, but here's one from Maplin.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/40cm-multifun ... lsrc=aw.ds

I often used to drive over to Ramsbottom from Heywood when I lived over there. There was a shop on the main road that sold lovely bread, but it's not there now. I expect that the steam train still goes there.

Good idea to change your name! :mrgreen:

Postby Pampy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:16 am

Lusciouslush wrote:Then you need one of these WFF..............

https://www.gardensite.co.uk/garden-bui ... gazebo.htm

As do I..........if only I had the room.......... :(

I won one of these last year...https://www.bbqland.co.uk/landmann-mito ... gLzp_D_BwE

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 am

Jeez Pampy.
You jammy thing! How did you manage that?

Lush
Have you seen the Q&A on that particularly marvellous gazebo - will it go in the washing machine? ha ha ha.

My sister has a gazebo tent they bring out for garden parties even in winter.
It's fantastic - the size of a living room.

Renee
What a smashing gadget.

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Jammy indeed - with knobs on......!!
Do you use it much Pampy? I think I'd use it all the more if I'd won it ( Lush Logic for you) - but I've never won anything :cry: not even as a child when I used to enter competitions......more :cry: !

Gillthepainter wrote:Have you seen the Q&A on that particularly marvellous gazebo - will it go in the washing machine? ha ha ha.

:lol: :lol: Can't blame a girl for trying - bless!

I'd love to have one of these contraptions - the nearest I get is holding a big golfing umbrella over my head - picture it!!

There is a bloke I see q'ing on the beach every winter - wind howling, waves crashing & there he is in the centre of the beach - even in the snow..............sometimes I wonder if it's Dr. Sweetsmoke.........?!?! :?

Postby Pampy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Jeez Pampy.
You jammy thing! How did you manage that?

I won it from a Waitrose competition - there was a code in one of their magazines which I used when I placed an order. Absolutely no effort on my part!
And I have to admit that I gave it to my sister, who has a far more active social life than I have - it would have been wasted on me.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:34 pm

Damn, I never enter those code on receipt/ competitions.

Time to change all that ................

Lush, I won the meat raffle once when I was about 20 at the local where I worked as a barmaid, student holiday job.
It was more trouble than it was worth, in the day when a freezer at home in the top of a fridge and was only big enough to fit a tray of ice.

I was giving away eggs, sausages meat etc. to neighbours who weren't interested.

Lucky sister, Pampy.

Postby Pampy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Ok - so I lied! I actually won the bbq with a voucher code from the Ocado magazine. I've just got the latest mag. and there's another competition for a Landmann BBQ Smoker set - it's a lidded bbq with a separate smoking chamber. You have to place a minimum £40 order but if you are going to, the voucher code is VOU9973709. It's valid until the 1st September.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:13 pm

First congratulations on the move WWF. I hope you will both be very happy there.

I am sure you are now becoming an expert on cooking with limited means. If you can beg or borrow a pressure cooker to use on you camping ring you will have yet another string to your bow

In the early days holidaying here in a primitive gite with only 2 gas rings to feed 8 it was a life saver. You could even make jam should you feel so inclined :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:37 am

Nevertheless, Pampy, I'm still jolly thrilled for you on your win.
I don't do internet shopping, as I go in for my free cup of coffee :) But thanks for the voucher code. I might do my first Ocado purchase.

My store cupboards need a refresh.

Joan
You're a starship trooper. Love the jam comment!

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox