Register

food festivals, lost their way?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: food festivals, lost their way?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:23 am

Gillthepainter wrote:
What do you do with the plums you acquire?

(I have an old recipe for baked with plums, chinese-esque).

I just eat them raw usually, as I don't make deserts for just me

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Anyone going here..............

https://www.wingfest.co.uk/

:birthday-dancer

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:23 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Anyone going here..............

https://www.wingfest.co.uk/

:birthday-dancer

Way down in Surrey Quays
Just chicken wings seems a bit niche!
Though I see Dr Sweetsmoke features :D

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Ooooooo - I could sink my teeth into some big fat chicken wings right now.....!

Where do all the big chickens with big wings live.....?!?!

Sue - I saw that Dr Sweetsmoke was billed under music & entertainment - do you think he sings as he grills now?

Not a festival, but the annual Brighton Pride is on today - it's been lovely & sunny so far but now looks like rain - shame - all those soggy sequins & feathers!

Talking of plums - I've been waiting for the Victoria's to be ready for cropping at our local pyo - they're always good, tho' we did pick some earlies about 6 weeks ago - far too many of course as usual - I'm not a fan of pyo but for plums I'll do it!

Gilly - what about your lovely pseudo plum sauce?

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Hopefully Al's contribution to the entertainment is a BBQ demo :)

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 am

That sauce was a one off, I guess Lush.
I haven't made it since - although on our 25 mile 40 mile bike ride yesterday (Tony went the wrong way and we ended up on the A40), there were loads of damson on the verges. think I made it with damson, can't quite remember now.

We must have PYO around these parts somewhere.
Although I haven't noticed any in our 12 years of living here. Twas a fun day out as a kid.

Dr Sweetsmoke.
Sounds like he's doing good then.

Postby Renée » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:39 am

Aren't you lucky having damsons in your area, Gill! I don't make jam or marmalade these days, but must make some chutney when I get back from my two week's away down south. What a long bike ride though! :shock:

I remember Dr Sweetsmoke from many years ago. Nice to hear that he's busy and doing well.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:04 am

I drew a blank on getting plums at the farmer's market but the good green grocer had English Victoria Plums, the biggest and best I've seen in years :yum

Got perfect French beans at the market though, the size of pencils, light green no trace of strings, lovely flavour, better than any I've ever grown

Postby Petronius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:46 pm

I take it all back!

Yesterday was the town's Food Festival. Perfect day, dry, sunny spells but not too hot.

Wonderful, wonderful. We spent money and that's unusual.

Superb range of street food stands, Indian, South Indian, Japanese, American Smoked, Caribbean, British pulled pork, pancakes as well as stands selling Italian antipasti and those delicate little dessert things. Bread, cake and marshmallows (free from about everything). The only hot dog stand claimed it was inspired by the New York food scene.

Somehow we missed the ice cream stand, scrolling ice cream 'to order in front of you'. :twisted:

A couple of years ago traders in the town were right miffed when they realised none of them were being offered pitches as usual. I never got to the bottom of it, but some of them, when it comes to marketing at exactly at the front of the queue. I think the criteria now is only producers are invited and that has improved it no end.

Not sure why I'm bothering to type all this as you can read all about it here – Exmoor gin, craft beers, kefir and so on,
http://www.wellingtonfoodtown.co.uk/

Here's OH getting her slice of pork pie.

pork pie.jpg
pork pie.jpg (190.23 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

The big cheese stand, by the way, I did ask each stall holder for permission to photograph but not members of the public.

cheese 1.jpg
cheese 1.jpg (221.94 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

cheese 2.JPG
cheese 2.JPG (246.04 KiB) Viewed 5713 times

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:34 pm

Wahey Petronius, well done for finding a good quality food fair and turning this thread around. I so wish I could do the same today :( , unfortunately, I can't. Mr Strictly and I went to the Big Nibble in Horsham, which is near where we live. We last went about 4 years ago and it was great. Street food and booze stalls aside, the rest of it was really disappointing this time around. Apart from our lunch (paella and chocolate cakes), the only things we bought were 3 focaccias and 2 vintage style fridge magnets. Yup, that's right - fridge magnets, which was the last thing I expected to buy today!

Time to have a whinge on their Facebook page methinks! :evil: I am feeling somewhat 'hmph, pfft and gaah' at the moment!

Postby Petronius » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Go on SS, have a whinge, it might make you feel better as I continue ... only three attachments allowed per post.

We bought a couple of flapjacks - we had them for a lunch time dessert at home yesterday. Oh boy, we should've cut them in half, so rich and that lovely feeling of eating something that's supposed to be bad for us. :thumbsup

And some steamed sponge puddings, in small pots, bite sized for the young but just right for us. Should be 'afters' tonight following a salad and homity pies bought at the Farmers' Market bit of the food fair.

As well as some of these,

macarons.jpg
macarons.jpg (204.84 KiB) Viewed 5701 times

Those heart shaped cheeses on one of the stands for £5 was Godminster, which we rather like.

By the way, the pie stand will do a wedding cake too,

wedding pie.jpg
wedding pie.jpg (212.28 KiB) Viewed 5701 times

The people in the background of the photo were queuing for free samples of the Exmoor Gin - £35 a bottle. Fortunately neither of us like gin.

We haven't been to a food fair for yonks, apart from the one in town once a year, it just happens to be our usual walk into town on a Saturday morning - for fish, meat, greengrocers and the coffee shop.

It's to be hoped that proper food fairs are on the way back, the same organisation is running them at Weston Super Mare on Sept 16th, 21st October at Burnham on Sea.

OH has told me those flapjacks cost £3.50 each! :shock: well they were big (really we should have cut them in half).

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:07 pm

I had the sake 'flapjack' trouble with the peanut butter brownie I had for my pud at lunchtime. It was that rich and fudgy (as well as large), I had to eat it in two phases. It was delicious though! I did have a whinge but haven't been on Facebook yet this evening to see if my comment is still there

Postby Petronius » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:01 am

From other threads SS, we're all grumpies here! :D

Oh, the flapjack I had Saturday was in fact a half. Noticed the other half in the cake tin yesterday - they really were huge.

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

:D

Even I couldn't grumble about Benington Lordship chilli festival, it was a nice day, as ever.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:12 pm

We have one in Clissold Park 15 - 17 Sept, I'll have a look, but the last couple there's been nothing at all aimed at cooks. For example the chilli stall had six table sauces but nothing you could put in your cooking

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Those pork pies look like they've been dragged through a field baclwards, with all those daisies!

I was reminded of the twice-yearly German Street Market here in Watford by a friend who had come back from a beer festival near Hanover, and was raving about Bierwurst. I said it was unlikely I'd be likely to find anywhere to try one over here, and he pointed out that he'd got one at our German Market.

Sadly however, the 2015 German Market was badly vandalised by thugs, as a result of which it's been cancelled ever since.

A trip to Borough Market is still on my bucket list, as is the "Taste of London" Festival.

Postby Renée » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:39 pm

What an amazing food fair, Petronius! I think that I would have spent a lot there, too! I noticed Keens Cheddar, which is one that I like. That pork pie ....... drool!!!

Sakkarin, what a shame your German market was vandalised. There used to be a good German knife stall on the European Market in Manchester, but that disappeared. A shame, but I'm not surprised.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:22 am

Petronius,

What wonderful photographs and some very amazing cheeses ..

Have a nice evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Wow! What a wonderful - looking festival, Petronious!
I was amazed at one of the cheese " Wooky Hole Cheddar " at 14.95.
When I was in London in 2015, there was some aged, Welsh Cheddar.... at 54.25 per kilo! :shock:

Postby Renée » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:24 pm

Oh heavens above!!! What a price!.

I have been looking around for aged Welsh cheeses and found this quite fascinating story about an aged Welsh cheese. you will need to scroll down to come to the aged cheese.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dri ... late-mine/

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox