Register

Gordon's recipe for rosewater cream

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Gordon's recipe for rosewater cream

Postby mark111757 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:16 pm

I remember when he did this on the f word uk. Looked really. Not sure if I printed off the recipe or not. From the channel 4 food area/website before it was gutted like a fish. Does anyone remember what book that came from. Thank you.

Re: Gordon's recipe for rosewater cream

Postby Renée » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:31 pm

Here is a YouTube video showing Gordon making the rosewater cream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksaJfnk7UxQ

Postby mark111757 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:58 pm

That one is in my collection. Thank you Renee. Would like to get more exact measurements of how gordo did it. Thanks again.

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi mark111757. I've drawn a total blank on Ramsay as even his Season 4 book doesn't seem to be available. However, cheep up as I found this recipe which uses the same ingredients:

600 ml thickened cream (see below*)
250 g creme fraiche
3 tsp icing sugar, sifted
1 tbsp rosewater (**)

* As far as I can find out, thickened cream in Australia is low fat (24%) whipping cream so contains a thickener. Ordinary whipping cream has a minimum fat content of 35% so doesn't need a thickener.

** A tbsp in Aus. is 20ml.

Recipe taken from: http://www.foodiful.com.au/recipes/1061 ... ater-cream

It should at least give you a reasonable starting point to fiddle about with :)

Postby mark111757 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks jeral

I found this bit of info

http://www.differencebetween.com/differ ... ned-cream/

Thank for the recipe looks dead simple

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:26 pm

Oh I say. You and I must be elite now as your link says: Quote:
"Different names are used for cream, to indicate different qualities making it confusing for common people."
Would it be dreadfully common to high five? ;)

Then again, your link doesn't make sense against my earlier one as it says that your US heavy cream at 36% is suitable for whipping, which Aus is at 35%, so there'd be no need to put thickeners in. I'd have thought that Ramsay in the UK would have added gelatine to his whipping cream if he thought the recipe needed it before he said "whisk it". Therefore I'd just use your standard heavy 36% cream.

Incidentally, I once tried whipping some of our double cream (about 48%) with a rotary hand whisk and it went straight from the cream to the butter stage - no light fluffy doubling of size stage whatsoever, so I concluded that we definitely can't whip our double cream.

Edit PS: If you want to use lower fat (lke the Australia 24%) and gelatine instead, you can bring higher fat content down by mixing it with a suitable amount of very low fat ordinary milk. I could do that calculation but wouldn't have a clue about how much gelatine or gum arabic to use.

Postby mark111757 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Here is queen Delia's take on it

http://www.deliaonline.com/ingredient/cream

Alot of the UK cooking shows use what they claim to be DBL cream. Pours nice nice and whips great too.

I saw Simon hopkinson in the good cook, I believe, use thick DBL cream. Made with Jersey or Guernsey milk with a nice gold color. In my travels so far I have been able to find cream it 40% butterfat.

Btw, I don't think it would be common at all.

Postby jeral » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:30 pm

I wonder if you're confusing fat with butterfat as butterfat is skimmed off double cream (which is white) but is left in for clotted creams (which are yellow).

I fully accept that I might have overwhipped my double cream but it really didn't go through the light and fluffy stage, which obviously I'd see using a rotary hand whisk, maybe not see with an almost instantaneous electric whisk. Dunno.

Anyway, since the rosemary cream has to be whisked in either recipe, I'd still use 35% since it's not being cooked so no reason why it should split.

PS I know there's no butterfat in double cream because I'm allergic to it.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox