Register

posting pics

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

posting pics

Postby Binky » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:04 pm

i used to use photobucket but this has ground to a halt.

a while ago, gillthe painter advised of another site: easy to use and good results.

if gillis reading, can she pease post agian this info?

sorry about typing but using a worn out keyboars and can@t read the letters properly.

Site Admin

Re: posting pics

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Not sure what's going on, but this article seems to suggest Photobucket are stopping other sites from showing the pics you upload pics unless you pay a hefty $400 a year. I see your old pics are still available, so maybe it's only new images. Seems idiotic, they will lose all their customers.

I am not up to date on photo sites, so can't offer any advice - maybe Pinterest, I think it's linked to Google - although they also seem to have a "log in if you want to see the pics" thing going on too..

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919 ... aid-update

Postby Rainbow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 am

This was discussed on the Wildfoods site in July. Apparently PB changed the policy on June 30th and people have left in droves!!

One suggestion was to use Flickr - I've never used either, so can't really help!!

I've copy/pasted some comments below;

Photobucket:
"Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:
o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

So at least $99.99/year if you want others to see your photos."

And $399.99 to post to other sites (3rd party image hosting)

Postby jeral » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:14 am

There's a list of photo sharers and their comparative attributes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... g_websites

I registered with 500px maybe a year ago and uploaded two or three photos (I'm not prolific) via their free account. No
problems.

A lot of the photos on the site are staggeringly good, putting my "point and click" pics to shame lol, but it's easy to spend ages looking at everyone else's amazing ones :) See: https://500px.com/editors

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:04 am

There's been a right old about turn on photo hosting.
Most annoying.
I first noticed when google pics did not display.

The site you're looking for is postimage . org Binky.

http://postimages.org

Resize the image to messageboard size.

Postby Binky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Many thanks!

Postby Binky » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Just trying it out. These are hops growing in my garden. We brew beer (so it's food related, honest)

https://postimg.org/image/dot9i8but/

Tested and need gillthe painter's help: how do I get the image to show up in the post? Many people don't like to click on links.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Binky wrote:Just trying it out. These are hops growing in my garden. We brew beer (so it's food related, honest)

Tested and need gillthe painter's help: how do I get the image to show up in the post? Many people don't like to click on links.

Easy
When you paste in the link highlight it and click on the Img button above you post

So you start with the link

This adds the Img instructions like this (but without the spaces inside the brackets which I have added to make them show up within the post)

[img ]https://postimg.org/image/dot9i8but/[ /img]

End result should be an image, but it's not working because you picked up the link from the bar at the top of the screen, you need to click on Share (top left of page) and pick up the specific link to the pic (we can't do this, has to be you logged in)

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Ha, I'm back!

£250 to fix the car, I don't know if I'm happy with that or not.

The link you need to copy is the direct link, Binky.
https://s26.postimg.org/8q5r3p821/IMG_0763.jpg
That's the one for most hosting sites that posts inline on forums.

The wrap around language for the img code as Stokey says is [img].....[/img]

Vwalla!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:12 pm

Good Afternoon,

I am new to the Forum and have a couple of questions regarding "posting photographs" to the Forum to accomany recipes. I am as Techi as a peanut ! So, please keep it simply simple ..

Thank you in advance ..

Question 1) I have an enormous amount of photographs in my desk top and lap top, cell phone and Cell Tablet ..

How can I upload directly to the Fórum or can I ?

Question 2) Yes, I am totally aware of the Photo Bucket new regulations regarding 3rd party issues with the posting of photographs.

My question is: Are there other free alternatives and which do you recommend ?

I would prefer to uploard direct from my own computer / cell Tablet / cell phone / lap top .. If this is a possibility ..

Thank you all in advance.
:wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Alexandria.

You can upload pix direct, but it's not ideal, as they are not stored as "jpg" files so can't be shared elsewhere (that's just the way the forum programme works). If you only want to use them to illustrate a post, then when you are posting there is a tab under the "submit" button on the typing page which says "upload attachment". You need to hit "browse" to select your pic, then hit "add the file".

The page jumps back to the top. Scroll down again and hit "place inline" to add the pic code to your post.

There are two things to remember: firstly the photo needs to be already reduced at your end to its final size (ideally 800 x 600 pixels or smaller), and secondly when it appears in the post it this method leaves an unsightly "scrolling border" round it, again a quirk of the programme.

Most of us use external photo storage, and just use the method shown earlier to call in the pic.

I see you've sussed the avatar already, so maybe you've already worked all this lot out! There were a lot of "how to" files we loaded in the early days (we're in our sixth year now, sinced the Beeb board closed down...).

Postby jeral » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi Alexandria and welcome from me also :wave

You can upload directly but current wisdom is that it's not advisable as it gives a link back to your computer so you might possibly be hacked via that link to other parts of, or things on, your computer, hence recommended to use a "hosting site".

Some host options are referred to earlier in this thread. Maybe have a look at them generally to see which you fancy and feel comfortable with as they're all slightly different.

PS: Sakkarin's post just in :)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:00 pm

It doesn't Jeral... no idea where you got that idea from!

I think what you may have done is posted a link from your computer rather than to a pic address loaded elsewhere on a picture host. You would end up with a link a bit like this (this a picture on my computer):

file:///Users/michaelsmith/Desktop/desktop%202017/bibim-neongmyun-icednoodles.jpg

Although the link is to a file on my computer, there is no way it can be used to access my/your computer.

The upload system I outlined in my previous post is quite safe, there is no way it can work in reverse, it uploads a copy of the picture file to our forum.

Postby jeral » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:24 am

Sakkarin wrote:It doesn't Jeral... no idea where you got that idea from!
[...clip]...]

No doubt something I read about the original photo data not being stripped out by some sites. It's comforting that you're confirming it can't happen via your forum. Good to know.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Hi Alexandria.

You can upload pix direct, but it's not ideal, as they are not stored as "jpg" files so can't be shared elsewhere (that's just the way the forum programme works). If you only want to use them to illustrate a post, then when you are posting there is a tab under the "submit" button on the typing page which says "upload attachment". You need to hit "browse" to select your pic, then hit "add the file".

The page jumps back to the top. Scroll down again and hit "place inline" to add the pic code to your post.

There are two things to remember: firstly the photo needs to be already reduced at your end to its final size (ideally 800 x 600 pixels or smaller), and secondly when it appears in the post it this method leaves an unsightly "scrolling border" round it, again a quirk of the programme.

Most of us use external photo storage, and just use the method shown earlier to call in the pic.

I see you've sussed the avatar already, so maybe you've already worked all this lot out! There were a lot of "how to" files we loaded in the early days (we're in our sixth year now, sinced the Beeb board closed down...).

Hello Sakkarin,

Good Evening. I understand and appreciate all your advice on the matter of posting photographs.

Which of the photograph image sites do you recommend ?

I selected the Film Avatar, as it sort of dazzled dynamically, in comparision to the others !

If you can provide me with the names of the image hosters, I shall check them out.

I did read the fórum rules ( normal respect ) and also the photo know how to´s and as I am as techi as a peanut, I would appreciate it if you would kindly just provide me with the names ..

Thanks alot !

Have a nice evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:29 pm

jeral wrote:Hi Alexandria and welcome from me also :wave

You can upload directly but current wisdom is that it's not advisable as it gives a link back to your computer so you might possibly be hacked via that link to other parts of, or things on, your computer, hence recommended to use a "hosting site".

Some host options are referred to earlier in this thread. Maybe have a look at them generally to see which you fancy and feel comfortable with as they're all slightly different.

Hello Jeral,

I had just answered Sakkarin and he mentioned a technical reason why it is better to use an Image Photo Hosting Site and I will.

Thank you for the welcome ..

Have a nice evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:22 pm

Alexandria wrote:
jeral wrote:Hi Alexandria and welcome from me also :wave

Hello Jeral,

I had just answered Sakkarin and he mentioned a technical reason why it is better to use an Image Photo Hosting Site and I will.

I registered with Photoimage.
Just copied 1 photo.
Now, how do I get the photograph on The Fórum ?

Sorry. I am as Techi as a peanut !!!! :lol:

Thank you for the welcome ..

Sakkarin,

1) Registered with Postimage.
2) Uploaded a photo and copied it ..
3) Now, how do I get the photograph on The Foodie Board ?

Thanks. :lol:

Have a nice evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:33 pm

[clickablepic][clickablepic][/clickablepic][/clickablepic]

Postby Rainbow » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:54 am

Alexandria wrote:[clickablepic][clickablepic][/clickablepic][/clickablepic]

Hi Alexandria
The above [clickablepic] is all I can see but I can't click on it to see a pic!!

I have a Mac computer so that might be causing a problem? Others on here might be able to see the actual pics?

Postby Alexandria » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 am

Rainbow,

It has not functioned.

I am uncertain as to why ..

I tried to post a " test photo" ..

I shall see today, if I can contact the Postimage.org customer service !

Have a nice day .. Thanks ..

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox