Register

Ice cream or sorbet?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Ice cream or sorbet?

Postby QinNortham » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:13 am

We have visitors next weekend, our younger son and his girlfriend plus a former boss of mine, all 3 love good food and have hearty appetites. Former boss will only be here for Saturday night so that will be the "big effort" meal.

The main course I'm planning is very slow roast shoulder of local lamb (about a mile away) with artichoke hearts, baby potatoes, mixed olives & capers plus small home grown tomatoes. There will be a starter, probably of the fishy variety. There may well be cheese as well, as I said they really can eat enormous amounts

We have some lovely home grown raspberries. Now the question is do I make raspberry ice cream or sorbet? Quite capable of doing either.

Would appreciate any advice going with grateful thanks!

Re: Ice cream or sorbet?

Postby Pampy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:12 pm

I'd go for the ice cream as I find it more filling. You could also make a champagne/sparking wine raspberry jelly to go with it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:14 pm

I'd go for raspberry sorbet AND plain vanilla ice cream! Posh raspberry ripple.

Postby jeral » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Unless the weather temp. is going to take a turn for the better, I'd go for a slice of chocolate cake. Could make a raspberry frosting or filling, or drizzle some rasp. juice over to seep in, + fresh rasps and either optional pouring cream or rasp. ice cream to serve.

If no kids so alcohol OK, sherry goes very well with lamb so vanilla sponge with sherry instead of choc, i.e. deconstructed sherry trifle. (Deconstructed spread out food with choice options can have more appeal to "eye eaters".

My instinct says that rasp. sorbet would seem more like a palate cleanser to me after fatty lamb than a dessert/pudding.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Pampy wrote:I'd go for the ice cream as I find it more filling. You could also make a champagne/sparking wine raspberry jelly to go with it.

After the lamb and a starter and possibly cheese I'd go for the sorbet as less filling!

Though raspberry ripple is one of my all time favourite ice creams, ideally eaten in the potting shed with my grandfather as sneaky treat ca 1961

But I guess a side helping of nostalgia has to be brought by the guests :lol:

Not actually sure I have had un-rippled raspberry ice cream so no opinion on it

You can always offer tuiles or shortbread biscuits if you think the trencher-persons will need them

Postby QinNortham » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Many thanks all. I'm veering towards a sorbet/water ice and I have some F&M Lemon Thins which could be served along side and if necessary a blob of local clotted cream which is considered to be some of the best in the area.

When I say these 3 can eat I real do mean that. Mind you YS is 6'7" and his GF 6', former boss is about 6'4", the house isn't ideal for such tall people but then it was built in about 1850. Luckily YS & GF have visited before, think former boss may need a hard hat.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:47 am

Forget them both.
Make a raspberry panacotta. ! :rudolph1

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 am

What a fantastic menu, Q.
They are in for a marvellous visit.

tall peebs. You might be in for outdoor weather, looking at the forecast.

Postby QinNortham » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Gill, the lamb really is very easy once prepped (pockets stuffed with anchovies but not garlic because I like to use the mixed olives with garlic).

Friday evening I'll probably do a mixed seafood and fish platter. Would you believe I get my fish from Hull? This was a recommendation from a local who used to be the skipper of the Appledore Lifeboat and a real foodie. He cold smokes things like swordfish and sea trout which are utterly gorgeous.

Yes I've looked at the forecast as well, rain today but dry through into next weekend so hopefully we will be able to sit out for drinks etc. It's not the height of the rooms rather the doorways which are the problem for tall peeps.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:52 pm

If it were my dinner, I would choose a rasberry sorbet ..

I might also consider:

A rasberry cheesecake with a black chocolate Graham Cracker Crust ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:30 pm

After consideration I'd go for a white chocolate ice cream with fresh rasberries - sheer heaven.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Welcome Alexandria.
I was thinking about a raspberry cheesecake too, myself. I do like a zingy cheesecake.

Q
That's quite a distance for the fish to come.
Our chap gets his from Padstow. Well I think he does, he's called "Padstow Fish".

Joan, I like your thinking.

Postby QinNortham » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:02 pm

Gill, the fish is utterly superb. Comes overnight, properly iced, packed etc and a superb range but not too large to be ridiculous. Would never have crossed my mind till our newish friend gave the recommendation.

Alexandria, hi. Think Graham Crackers might be a bit of a big ask round here but then many things are, I have to put aubergine pickle(ditto Knorr Chicken Noodle Soup which I keep for when one of us feels a bit below par and I have no chicken stock in the freezer) on my Waitrose order which comes from Holsworthy about 18 miles away, none of the 4 big supermarkets in area stock it and I do like some with my take away!

Joan, oops nearly forgot your suggestion. Sadly we have no raspberries this year, our gardener has been "refreshing" the canes, these are in the freezer from last year.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm

hello Qin Northam

Digestives or Hobnobs would be a good sub for the Graham cracker crust if you decide to go down the cheesecake route

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:37 am

QinNortham wrote:Gill, the fish is utterly superb. Comes overnight, properly iced, packed etc and a superb range but not too large to be ridiculous. Would never have crossed my mind till our newish friend gave the recommendation.

Could you let me have the website of your fish supplier - it's always useful to have a recommended supplier. Thanks!

Postby QinNortham » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 am

Strictly, thanks. The problem is that even with these lovely "greedy" people we would never finish off a decent size cheesecake and we don't usually have puddings. Former boss is only here Saturday evening and on Sunday we, YS & GF are going to the local Thai for an "eat as much as you want" buffet lunch and they really mean as much as you want. Given their normal prices it is the bargain of the century.

Pampy, it is www.kingcrab.co.uk

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:04 am

QN, how about stirring a ripple of raspberries through white chocolate ice cream.?

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Fee Fi Fo Fum..........!

Was anyone splashing magic beans about when those three were born Q?!?!

Have a think to see if any lightbulbs need changing whilst they're visiting...... :D

Sorbet all the way for me :thumbsup - lovely & refreshing after a good meal - don't forget the mint sprigs!
Do you have an ice cream maker or do you do it like me - in & out of the freezer stir, stir etc.? I was looking at a couple of recipes when we had our summer for a few weeks which used just condensed milk & fruit - nothing else - sounded good tho' probably cloudy - more of a sherbet I suppose, then another recipe used puree (couli) instead of fresh fruit which sounded a good short cut too.

I do like an apricot sorbet - just the right amount of tartiness for me ( say nothing!)

Your w/end will be lovely! :klingonbanana

Postby Pampy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 pm

Many thanks, QinNortham!

Postby jeral » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:...[clip]...
I was looking at a couple of recipes when we had our summer for a few weeks which used just condensed milk & fruit ...

Nadiya made icecream recently using condensed milk and double cream, approx 2:3 respectively. Recipe here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/rhuba ... _ice_53736

It's made as a rhubarb ripple so Nadiya just bunged it in the freezer for 4hrs, no stirring. The prog is still on BBC Iplayer incidentally.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox