Register

Chilly in the morning, How does Soup Sound ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Chilly in the morning, How does Soup Sound ?

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:35 am

Temperatures have been between 15 degrees - 17 degrees early in the morning with quite a chill in the air .. However, afternoon summer temperatures have dropped from 35 - 37 C Degrees to 25 - 27 however, with a slight chill ..

Time for a lovely warm up, soup .. What are your favorite soups ?

Here is one of mine ..

Venetian Minnestrone with Fennel ..

3 Tblsps. Evoo
1 large potato peeled and diced
2 cups of fresh shredded cabbage of choice ( I use Cavolo Black Cabbage or Curly Kale )
2 Medium Courgette diced
1 onion or 1 leek and 2 small shallots minced
1 fennel bulb trimmed and diced
6 cups of home made vegetable stock / broth
250 grams of White Northern Beans called Alubias Blancas here in Barcelona ( I soak mine over-night in salted wáter ) and then cook them ..
1 Cup of Dittalini Pasta or Small Shell Pasta or fresh tiny tortellini with cheese ( Boil pasta according to package directions or if using fresh pasta, simmer accordingly )
1 Cup of fresh peas when in season or 1 Cup of Fresh Carrots diced finely
Reggiano Parmesan Grated Finely

1) Heat the Evoo in a heavy large saucepan over médium high heat ..
2) Add the potato, cabbage, courgette, carrot, leek, shallots ( or onion ), fennel and sauté until the veggies begin to color ..
3) Reduce the heat, and add the broth and simmer until veggies are crisp yet tender - approx. 8 to 9 minutes.
4) Now add the cooked beans ( drained thoroughly)
5) Simmer 4 to 5 minutes
6) Add the drained thorough pasta and simmer another minute or two if using fresh pasta ..
7) Season with salt, freshly ground black peper and fresh minced parsley ..
8) Stir gently with a wooden spatula ..
9) Ladle into Deep bowls and sprinkle with the Reggiano or Pecorino Sardo ( From Sardinia ) if you prefer ..

Serve with a rustic country whole meal bread and a glass of oak aged red wine ..

Lovely ..

Other soups we enjoy are:
1) Navarran Cardoon
2) Provençal Fish Soup
3) (All different Soups not together) Cream of Fennel, Cream of Green Asparagus, Cream of Leek, Cream of Courgette .. ( note: I employ a potato to thicken and velvety smooth, not cream )
4) Vichyssoise
5) French Onion
6) Pasta Fagioli
7) Home made Chicken Soup with lots of chunky pieces of chicken

Have a lovely weekend ..

:wino :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Chilly in the morning, How does Soup Sound ?

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:56 am

Pasta e Fagioli is what I`m preparing for a friend`s "goodbye party" tomorrow. Borlotti (Cranberry) beans, fresh from the market; a mirepoix of onion, carrot & celery; tomato passata, conchiglie pasta ( you need a pasta, IMHO, which captures the beans & other ingredients...) and a simple green salad.
I`m also making Gill`s Foccacia and some Caponata. Felicity Cloake`s recipe from the Grauniad is very good, even though she is not always my favourite .

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:13 am

I'm making tomato and basil soup this weekend, using some of our imperfect tomatoes. I have roasted and frozen some but the soup is a good way to use a surplus of over-ripe or damaged ones.

afternoon summer temperatures have dropped from 35 - 37 C Degrees to 25 - 27 however, with a slight chill ..

It's 10 degrees here this morning and has been 8. I think your definition of a slight chill is different from the UK one :D

Autumnal soups in this house include beetroot with feta; pumpkin/squash, corn & bean; celeriac. I've heard of a Venezuelan recipe for tomatillo soup, (we've got a shedload of them ripening on the allotment) that KK might know. Once the first frosts arrive I'll dig parsnips and some will make soup. There's also a lovely sweet potato one with carrot, ginger & coconut, plus soy-roasted cashews as croutons. I don't grow many of the ingredients, but like to make it from time to time, especially at this time of year.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:35 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Pasta e Fagioli is what I`m preparing for a friend`s "goodbye party" tomorrow. Borlotti (Cranberry) beans, fresh from the market; a mirepoix of onion, carrot & celery; tomato passata, conchiglie pasta ( you need a pasta, IMHO, which captures the beans & other ingredients...) and a simple green salad.
I`m also making Gill`s Foccacia and some Caponata. Felicity Cloake`s recipe from the Grauniad is very good, even though she is not always my favourite .

Karadekoolaide,

Sounds amazingly wonderful.

I normally use " Italian Cannelli Beans " however, Borlotti sound very interesting for a change.

Enjoy and have a lovely lovely weekend .. :wino :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 am

Badger's Mate wrote:I'm making tomato and basil soup this weekend, using some of our imperfect tomatoes. I have roasted and frozen some but the soup is a good way to use a surplus of over-ripe or damaged ones.

afternoon summer temperatures have dropped from 35 - 37 C Degrees to 25 - 27 however, with a slight chill ..

It's 10 degrees here this morning and has been 8. I think your definition of a slight chill is different from the UK one :D

Autumnal soups in this house include beetroot with feta; pumpkin/squash, corn & bean; celeriac. I've heard of a Venezuelan recipe for tomatillo soup, (we've got a shedload of them ripening on the allotment) that KK might know. Once the first frosts arrive I'll dig parsnips and some will make soup. There's also a lovely sweet potato one with carrot, ginger & coconut, plus soy-roasted cashews as croutons. I don't grow many of the ingredients, but like to make it from time to time, especially at this time of year.[/quote

Badger´s Mate,

Sounds cold where you are !

Well, it was 16 degrees here in Barcelona at 6.30am ! Now it is quite a bit warmer and very very sunny ..

Your tomato soup sounds truly lovely ..

Yes, you have mentioned Parsnip Soup ! Just one of my faves .. Exemplary idea .. Have to check the La Mercat de La Boqueria Market and see if they have any. It is perhaps too early .. Or perhaps they have some from France ..

Have a wonderful weekend and Thanks for the feedback ..

:wino

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 am

Welcome back, Alexandria.

Thanks for the recipe, I've a packet of little pastas in the cupboard - and beans from a Catalan market = granxet from what I can remember? Anyway, they're butter beans.

Clive, that a super special adios for your friend.
Tell me, how many hours do you spend in the kitchen a day do you think?

Hi Badger's.
Love the sound of your sweet potato and carrot soup.

I find soup very filling.
Tony finds it light, for when he's not so hungry. Bit of a reaction imbalance there.
I only do a few as he's got his favourites that he sticks to:

Caldo verde
Heinz cream of tomato (homemade but tastes just like heinz due to the apple)
Cream of mushroom
Chicken
Or if Tony has his way, mushroom and chicken which drives me potty, they're better separate

I do need more for my soupy repertoire.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:14 am

Not chilly here. A baking hot and humid 29ºc here.
My pasta and fagioli was made from scratch - apart from the pasta (conchiglie - shells) which I bought. Start with a mirepoix of carrots, celery and onions. Add garlic, then add tomato passata (fresh tomatoes, skinned and blitzed in a blender). Then add the beans ( I found fresh Borlotti beans, which I pre-cooked for 20 minutes yesterday) and a bit of water. s&P. Cook down for 10 minutes.
When we served the salad course, I added the pasta and more (boiling) water. Cooked for 10 mins then served.
Gill - some days I spend 6 hours in the kitchen; other days, no time at all. Yesterday, for example, I spent 6 hours. One hour in my own, and 5 hours in D.O.C. Restaurant, giving a course on Indonesian food! This morning I prepared a dip and a Caponata, plus the Pasta and salad - total: 3 hours.
Sounds like I`m a kitchen fanatic :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:19 am

Thanks for that detailed recipe, Clive.

I tend to spend an hour a day in the kitchen. On average.
Occasionally longer if I have something I'm keen to fluff around with.

You've always advocated time in the kitchen in your postings, so I'm not surprised by your endurance sessions.

Postby Renée » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:13 am

Lovely ideas and recipes, for which I thank you all!

I once had some delicious parsnip soup in a restaurant and was rather surprised that I really enjoyed it, but I haven't got a recipe and need to look one up.

I need some help, please. I bought a chorizo ring with the intention of using it to make soup. Has anyone got a good recipe, please, or other ways of using chorizo?

I am very happy being around food and spending time in my kitchen, which is my favourite room!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:27 am

Renée wrote:Lovely ideas and recipes, for which I thank you all!

I once had some delicious parsnip soup in a restaurant and was rather surprised that I really enjoyed it, but I haven't got a recipe and need to look one up.

I need some help, please. I bought a chorizo ring with the intention of using it to make soup. Has anyone got a good recipe, please, or other ways of using chorizo?

I am very happy being around food and spending time in my kitchen, which is my favourite room!

Rene,

Good Morning ..

Chorizo ( dried spicy sausage ) or fresh sausage ?

Please clarify ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:29 am

karadekoolaid wrote:Not chilly here. A baking hot and humid 29ºc here.
My pasta and fagioli was made from scratch - apart from the pasta (conchiglie - shells) which I bought. Start with a mirepoix of carrots, celery and onions. Add garlic, then add tomato passata (fresh tomatoes, skinned and blitzed in a blender). Then add the beans ( I found fresh Borlotti beans, which I pre-cooked for 20 minutes yesterday) and a bit of water. s&P. Cook down for 10 minutes.
When we served the salad course, I added the pasta and more (boiling) water. Cooked for 10 mins then served.
Gill - some days I spend 6 hours in the kitchen; other days, no time at all. Yesterday, for example, I spent 6 hours. One hour in my own, and 5 hours in D.O.C. Restaurant, giving a course on Indonesian food! This morning I prepared a dip and a Caponata, plus the Pasta and salad - total: 3 hours.
Sounds like I`m a kitchen fanatic :gonzo :gonzo

Karadekoolaide,

Thank you very much for your Pasta e Fagioli récipe ..

Have a lovely day .. Shall give it a try ! Mine is similar but as I mentioned previously, I have always used chick peas ..

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 am

Renée wrote:Lovely ideas and recipes, for which I thank you all!

Rene,

I have a remarkable parsnip soup récipe from my French Mom in law ..

I shall look for it and post it next week .. It is amazingly lovely.

Postby Pampy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:34 pm

I've made parsnip and apple soup which is surprisingly good.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:53 pm

I've tried Delia's parsnip & apple, but prefer one we were given by a friend which is apple-free but contains a hint of curry.

The tomato & basil recipe is one of the blessed Delia's and very nice too.

Postby Pampy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:16 pm

I like parsnip with curry too. I think it's best not to put too much apple in with the parsnip, or else it tastes too sweet.

Postby Renée » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:02 pm

Alexandria,

I bought the fermented and dry cured Chorizo Iberico, which combines pork from freerange Iberian pigs with smoky Pimenton de la Vera. It is produced near to Salamanca, Spain.

I would love to have your Mom in Law's recipe for Parsnip Soup when you have time, please!

It is cold, wet and windy here in the north west of the UK. We had been promised an Indian summer and I'm waiting in hope!

Very best wishes to you.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Still eating chilled soups here at the moment, though funnily enough soupe au pistou is one of the great fetive summer dishes of Provence. I have made so many this summerI think I can do without any more until next year. Every family memeber or friend who comes demands it !

A favourite of mine in autumn is a carrot veloute garnished with moules a L'escabeche - an idea I "stolr" from a local chef.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi Renee

There are loads of things you can add chorizo to; e.g. most seafood such as clams, prawns, squid or mussels, paella, Spanish tomato based soups or caldo verde which is chorizo, potato and spring greens soup. I've also been known to add it to a tortilla/frittata-style omelette or appropriate rice dishes and pasta :oops: .It also works very well with chicken

I am sure Alexandria will come up with some great ideas, even if she shakes her head at my pasta suggestion!!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:08 am

Pampy wrote:I've made parsnip and apple soup which is surprisingly good.

Pampy,

Parsnip with Apple sounds fascinating ..

I posted my French mom in law´s recipe, where we combine Parsnips with Carrots ..

Thank you for the lovely idea ..

Do you have a récipe ?

Have a lovely evening.

12am .. Goodnight ..

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:20 am

Renée wrote:Alexandria,

I bought the fermented and dry cured Chorizo Iberico, which combines pork from freerange Iberian pigs with smoky Pimenton de la Vera. It is produced near to Salamanca, Spain.

I would love to have your Mom in Law's recipe for Parsnip Soup when you have time, please!

It is cold, wet and windy here in the north west of the UK. We had been promised an Indian summer and I'm waiting in hope!

Very best wishes to you.

Renée,

Firstly, sorry to hear that it is so cold and nasty .. Here it is 30 degrees, and sunny as in sun glasses .. However, at 6am it is 15 - 16 C degrees, chilly, very dry and crisp. Sweater weather up until approx. 11am - Mid day .. 12pm ..

I posted the Parsnip récipe on a separate thread as you know ..

Recipe ideas for the Salamanca Iberian dry Chorizo:

1) Baked eggs Salmorejo with chorizo

2) Fritatta

3) A Campesina omelette similar to a Spanish omelette except with chorizo, red and green minced bell, shallot or onion and leek ..

4) Broken Eggs: Sunny side up eggs on top of cube shaped fried potatoes with sliced chorizo .. Huevos Rotos .. A very popular tapa !!!

5) A cheese board and sliced chorizo with a lovely oak aged red wine.

6) A home made Pizza with sliced chorizo ..

I believe you can freeze what you do not use for another day ..

Hope this has been helpful ..

Have a lovely evening ..

:wino

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox