Register

Chilly in the morning, How does Soup Sound ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Chilly in the morning, How does Soup Sound ?

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 am

strictlysalsaclare wrote:Hi Renee

There are loads of things you can add chorizo to; e.g. most seafood such as clams, prawns, squid or mussels, paella, Spanish tomato based soups or caldo verde which is chorizo, potato and spring greens soup. I've also been known to add it to a tortilla/frittata-style omelette or appropriate rice dishes and pasta :oops: .It also works very well with chicken

I am sure Alexandria will come up with some great ideas, even if she shakes her head at my pasta suggestion!!

Stricklysalsaclare,

"Pasta is fabulous with Chorizo" !!!

I have made pasta with chorizo. However, you forgot the Pizza !!!

Have a lovely evening.
12.20am here ..
Goodnight .. :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:59 am

Good morning Strictly and Alexandria!

Thank you both very much for those ideas, which I will print out. I do think that the Iberian chorizo that I bought is probably too hard to use in soup. However, there are plenty of lovely ideas and it does have a superb flavour.

Alexandria, I would love your early morning temperature all the year round and it would be t shirt weather for me and not sweaters!

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:31 am

Renée wrote:Good morning Strictly and Alexandria!

Thank you both very much for those ideas, which I will print out. I do think that the Iberian chorizo that I bought is probably too hard to use in soup. However, there are plenty of lovely ideas and it does have a superb flavour.

Alexandria, I would love your early morning temperature all the year round and it would be t shirt weather for me and not sweaters!

Renée,

One must consider, Barcelona is breezy and I live very close to the sea ..

Cadaques, where my parents, in laws and 2 sons & their wives & our 2 grandsons live on northern Costa Brava, is quite a bit chillier ! And I had spent 3 days 2 nights there .. I always pack a sweater, a light weight leather jacket, a couple of scarves and a denim jacket .. Never know !

Glad to hear that you like the ideas ..

Leave the chorizo out on counter for 1 or 2 hours .. So it becomes room temperature and is easier to slice ..

Have a lovely day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 am

I'm afraid most of my favourite soups are Asian ones, from Thai Rice Soup to Vietnamese Pho and everything in between (and including the fab chilled noodle soup and seaweed soup on the Korean thread here), not really in keeping with the mediterranean theme of this thread.

Does Dall count as a soup? My favourite Tarka Dall recipe would be very near the top of my list too...

However to bring it back to Europe, a Belgian friend has just been enthusing about a new cookbook he's got on Dutch and Belgian cuisine, and has urged me to try "Bolletje", meatballs in green chervil soup.

Now to try and source some chervil :-(

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:17 am

Sakkarin wrote:I'm afraid most of my favourite soups are Asian ones, from Thai Rice Soup to Vietnamese Pho and everything in between (and including the fab chilled noodle soup and seaweed soup on the Korean thread here), not really in keeping with the mediterranean theme of this thread.

Does Dall count as a soup? My favourite Tarka Dall recipe would be very near the top of my list too...

However to bring it back to Europe, a Belgian friend has just been enthusing about a new cookbook he's got on Dutch and Belgian cuisine, and has urged me to try "Bolletje", meatballs in green chervil soup.

Now to try and source some chervil :-(

Sakkarin,

Sounds fascinating. We eat Thai, Japanese and Indian out once a month ..

I have some books on Thai soups which interest me greatly however, I have not had a chance to source the ingredients and créate these amazingly extraordinary récipes. We were in Bangkok, Phuket Island and Hong Kong in 2014 (December) through 2015 ( January 7th). It was quite incredible .. I had purchased a couple of books there and had met a Thai Chef who has a restaurant on Phuket Island, who gave me some récipes ..

The one I would love to prepare, given the time is: Tom Yum Prawn & Mussel Soup with lemongrass and mushrooms called: Straw Mushrooms and Kefier Lime ..

Wow, a Dutch Belgian cookbook sounds very interesting .. Is it in French or Dutch or English ? The meatballs with Chervil sound lovely ..

Tarka Dahl (lentils) sounds lovely ..

Thanks for your feedback.
Have a lovely day ..

Postby Pampy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 pm

Alexandria wrote:
Pampy wrote:I've made parsnip and apple soup which is surprisingly good.

Pampy,

Parsnip with Apple sounds fascinating ..

Do you have a récipe ?

Well, I've searched high and low and can't find the parsnip and apple soup recipe. However, I recall it was very simple - gently saute some chopped onions in butter/oil until soft but not coloured. Add peeled chopped parsnip and apple (I'd use a baking apple so it's not too sweet), stir everything together then add vegetable stock to barely cover the vegetables. Simmer until everything is cooked, then blend until smooth. Season to taste. If it's too thick, add some milk/stock/water. Serve with a swirl of cream or creme fraiche.

Postby Renée » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 pm

Sakkarin, could you use tarragon instead of chervil? I seem to remember that chervil has a slightly aniseed flavour.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:16 am

Pampy wrote:
Alexandria wrote:
Pampy wrote:I've made parsnip and apple soup which is surprisingly good.

Pampy,

Parsnip with Apple sounds fascinating ..

Do you have a récipe ?

Well, I've searched high and low and can't find the parsnip and apple soup recipe. However, I recall it was very simple - gently saute some chopped onions in butter/oil until soft but not coloured. Add peeled chopped parsnip and apple (I'd use a baking apple so it's not too sweet), stir everything together then add vegetable stock to barely cover the vegetables. Simmer until everything is cooked, then blend until smooth. Season to taste. If it's too thick, add some milk/stock/water. Serve with a swirl of cream or creme fraiche.

Thank you Pampy ..

Shall give it a go ..

Have a lovely evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am

Thank you Deb. I shall take a look tomorrow ..

Have a nice evening ..

Postby QinNortham » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:06 am

renee, when I lived in Belgium in the mid 1970's I could buy the "green" soup with tiny meatballs, it was delicious. I would describe the green part as more like a very fine spinach puree, of course there could have been chervil as well, can't remember.

Postby Renée » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 am

That sounds really nice, Q!

I did once make a butternut squash and apple soup, which was a lovely combination, but I don't have the recipe now.

Postby QinNortham » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:56 am

Celery and apple is excellent
Tomato and red split lentils which can be flavoured several ways. Pesto. A little cumin. Or go the whole hog and turn into a soupy dhal
When I have a good supply of home made chicken stock that gets the finely sliced/chopped celery, carrot, leek ((maybe rice) treatment

I rarely use a recipe for soup, in fact can't remember the last time I did

Postby Renée » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:11 pm

I made some fresh vegetable stock this morning and now the parsnips and carrots are roasting in the oven and smelling good. I shall soon be making Alexandria's lovely parsnip soup!

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Renée wrote:I made some fresh vegetable stock this morning and now the parsnips and carrots are roasting in the oven and smelling good. I shall soon be making Alexandria's lovely parsnip soup!

Renée,

Wow .. All my best wishes for success ..

Have a lovely day .. :crossed

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Thank you for all your feedback, links and suggestions ..

Definitely, have a different soup for at least 6 months ahead !!

All my best for a lovely day .. :wino

Postby Renée » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:29 pm

These are a couple of photos taken quickly. The first one shows the parsnips and carrots just out of the oven. They were slightly more golden than on the photo. The soup is very velvety and delicious!

Thank you Alexandria! Have a lovely evening.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Renée wrote:These are a couple of photos taken quickly. The first one shows the parsnips and carrots just out of the oven. They were slightly more golden than on the photo. The soup is very velvety and delicious!

Thank you Alexandria! Have a lovely evening.

@Renée,

My, thank you .. I am so pleased that you have enjoyed it ..

It is very soothing .. Almost, like a medicinal quality ..

Thank you and really appreciate the photographs.

All my best,
Goodnight ..
:wino :wino

Postby Amyw » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:20 pm

I definitely need to get back into soup making. I've made parsnip and apple before, but found it a little too sweet for me, which is weird as I have a sweet tooth. Maybe cause chocolate not involved :thumbsup

I do like soups where the veg is roasted first. I think you can taste the caramelisation and it's got more depth of flavour.

Postby Renée » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:42 pm

Butternut squash and apple soup with a little cumin, worked well when I made it, Amy. Parsnips are quite sweet to start with.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox