Register

Chilly in the morning, How does Soup Sound ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Chilly in the morning, How does Soup Sound ?

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:14 am

[quote="Amyw"]I definitely need to get back into soup making. I've made parsnip and apple before, but found it a little too sweet for me, which is weird as I have a sweet tooth. Maybe cause chocolate not involved :thumbsup

I do like soups where the veg is roasted first. I think you can taste the caramelisation and it's got more depth of flavour.[/quote

Amyw,

Thank you for your feedback ..

Perhaps, leek and courgette would suit you.

My parsnip and carrot ( carrots are sweet ) soup could be made into just parsnips with a hint of curry however, the color will be lighter.

I posted a wonderful Minnestrone and a Pasta e Fagioli ( beans ) as well and a Thai Fisherman´s Soup ..

Well, I must say goodnight as it is 1am in Barcelona ..
Have a lovely weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm going to rattle up a soup or broth tonight from frozen mussels and using my one chilli that's ripened on my windowsill plant. With little sunshine it's managed to produce only four chillis despite gazillions of flowers. And I'm going to eat one. Cue sobs & violins or Mwa ha ha?

The last mussel soup I made was from an internet recipe, being semi-thick creamy mustard, nutmeg, fresh ginger, shallot, herb etc soup which was delicious actually but I was hard pressed to discern mussel flavour beyond that little lot. (Mind you, usually I set aside a few to scoff with just S&P and malt vinegar.)

The mention of nursery food in another thread reminded me that I like Bird's Eye potato waffles. Spotted some the other day and they are ♪ so waffly versatile ♪ since if you cut them into quarters and deep fry, they make great croutons, the more the merrier :)

Postby Alexandria » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 pm

[quote="jeral"]I'm going to rattle up a soup or broth tonight from frozen mussels and using my one chilli that's ripened on my windowsill plant. With little sunshine it's managed to produce only four chillis despite gazillions of flowers. And I'm going to eat one. Cue sobs & violins or Mwa ha ha?

The last mussel soup I made was from an internet recipe, being semi-thick creamy mustard, nutmeg, fresh ginger, shallot, herb etc soup which was delicious actually but I was hard pressed to discern mussel flavour beyond that little lot. (Mind you, usually I set aside a few to scoff with just S&P and malt vinegar.)

The mention of nursery food in another thread reminded me that I like Bird's Eye potato waffles. Spotted some the other day and they are ♪ so waffly versatile ♪ since if you cut them into quarters and deep fry, they make great croutons, the more the merrier :)[/quote

Jeral,

Thank you for your feedback ..

My thought was same, about the lack of the Mussel tasting profile .. It really depends on what you wish to capture ..

One can easily make a Shell fish stock and do a fish soup with the Mollusks, chili pepper, a bit of ginger some herbs or spices and a hint of fresh lemon ( a drizzle ) or lime & a shot glass of White wine ..

I would leave out the creamy mustard perhaps which could be a bit overpowering to such delicate mollusks ..

Good luck ..

Have a nice evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pampy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 am

jeral wrote:I'm going to rattle up a soup or broth tonight from frozen mussels and using my one chilli that's ripened on my windowsill plant. With little sunshine it's managed to produce only four chillis despite gazillions of flowers. And I'm going to eat one. Cue sobs & violins or Mwa ha ha?

I had the same problem with my windowsill chilli plants until someone told me that I should use a soft brush to pollinate the flowers. I started to do this and have since got loads more chillies off the plants.

Postby jeral » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:10 pm

Ooh thanks very much for that chilli pollinating info Pampy :) Every day's a school day, especially as it's my first attempt at growing them, so I'm very happy to learn.

Postby Pampy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:57 pm

By coincidence, I've just received a mailing from Waitrose which includes a recipe for spiced parsnip and apple soup. It's not the one I've previously used but it sounds nice. http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitros ... esoup.html

Postby Alexandria » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Pampy wrote:By coincidence, I've just received a mailing from Waitrose which includes a recipe for spiced parsnip and apple soup. It's not the one I've previously used but it sounds nice. http://www.waitrose.com/content/waitros ... esoup.html

Pampy,

Thank you for the link ..
Appreciate it ..
Goodnight ..

Postby Renée » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:18 pm

I do like that recipe, Pampy and it's one to make. I would make my own Bramley apple sauce, of course.

Many thanks.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Renée wrote:That sounds really nice, Q!

I did once make a butternut squash and apple soup, which was a lovely combination, but I don't have the recipe now.

Hi Renee

although I realise that this might not be the recipe you have tried, I've just seen this on facebook and thought of you

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chu ... lligatawny

and if anyone is looking for a parsnip and apple soup, how about this one?

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cur ... apple-soup

I often make a chunky soup for us during the colder weather, tonight we are having a minestrone and it's been a bit frosty here this morning. I also made a chunky Spanish chicken and chorizo broth for us on Saturday which went down very well. This is despite the spicier salami style chorizo we got from Asda. It's their normal one but we think that their suppliers may have changed the recipe and either upped the paprika quantity or used the hot one. It's a bit fiery!

Polish sausage veg and pease pudding soup is a regular here as well, especially useful to use up the remains of a tin of pease pudding after we've had Yorkshire ham and PP sandwiches

EDIT: here are the rest of the soups featured on facebook that I got the above recipes from. Having looked at them all, I thought it would be worth me sharing the whole batch of recipes!

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/col ... althy-soup

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:30 pm

We had good old fashioned leek and tattie soup yesterday (and the rest today). Takes me right back to Mum's kitchen at this time of year when dad was a champion leek grower, :D :D

Postby Renée » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am

Thank you, Strictly. That's a lovely recipe for the Mulligatawny Soup, which I will make very soon after my man friend's visit. I already have the Nigella seeds. Heinz Mulligatawny soup is always one that I turn to when not feeling well!

What happy memories you must have of your dad's leek growing, Joan. He must have been so proud to have won that award. The aromas of meat roasting in the oven takes me back to my childhood. My grandma had an oven by the side of the fire which always worked well for Sunday roasts.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:59 am

Joanbunting,

I adore leeks ! Maybe I shall buy some leeks at the Market today ! I like them grilled ( Parillada ) with a lovely Romesco Sauce ..

Surely, merits the excellence to grow your own vegetables, fruits etcetra ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

Renee,

Thank you for all your feedback ..

I have never had the Indian Soup that you had mentioned.

Have a lovely weekend ..

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I am making a tweaked version of the butternut squash mulligatawny soup recipe that I shared on here a few weeks ago. I am home alone tonight because Mr Strictly is out for most of the day. Time to indulge methinks. Renee, I will let you know what the soup was like, although my version will be modified a little.

UPDATE EDIT: Well the dish was extremely nice but it was more of a rice bowl than a soup. I have some lef over, and it was also surprisingly filling.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:41 pm

I have seen Mulligatawny on Indian Restaurant Menus / Cartes however, since we only go out for Indian, once every 6 weeks or approx 8 weeks, we love our Tandoori Prawns and Fish .. It is amazingly sublimely exquisite .. And it is served with a stunning aromatic long grained rice ..

We do not order soups in Restaurants as a norm unless we really know the owner / chef extremely well ..

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox