Register

Persian Jewel Rice with Cardamom, Cumin & Pistachios

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Persian Jewel Rice with Cardamom, Cumin & Pistachios

Postby Alexandria » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:11 pm

When my husband and I go down (we always fly over ) to the Madrid Capital, we always make it a point to go for Persian Cuisine or Himalayan Cuisine. With this in mind, I have been yearning for a Persian Rice, and have just ordered a book from Madrid, and have been researching uncountable récipes for Classic Persian Rice Recipes.

This Recipe is from Bon Apetit Magazine - Authored By: Chef Samin Nosrati in Manhattan ..

I tried this today and it was undescribably sublime exquisite ..

I ordered the Book By: Jila Dan Haeri called From A Persian Kitchen and it shall be delivered tomorrow at my Office so my receptionist can sign for it ..

Recipe:

1 / 4 cup unsalted raw natural pistachios
1 / 4 cup slivered almonds
2 cups of Irani Rice or Basmati produced in Iran
1 Large Thick or Double Skinned Orange - for the zest
2 médium carrots peeled and diced
1 / 2 cup of dried currants or dried cranberries or dried pomegrante seeds
1 / 4 Cup Golden raisins
10 threads of Saffron
2 tablespoons of butter of choice
1/ 4 tsp. cardamom spice ground
1 / 4 tsp. cumin ground
1/ 4 tsp. tumeric ground
1 or 2 shallots - tiny
salt to taste

Method:
1) Pre heat oven to roast the pistachios for 7 minutes or until Golden
2) Run the rice in a fine mesh sieve under ice cold wáter until the wáter is clear ..
3) Zest the orange ..
4) In a large paellera or similar vessel, sauté the zest with the carrots approx 15 mins. on slow low flame ..
5) Combine the raisins and currants in a glass bowl of hot wáter and soak for 10 minutes ( reserve the wáter )
6) Take the saffron threads and place in a separate tiny glass of hot wáter for 19 minutes only. ( reserve )
7) Heat the butter another skillet, and add the shallot, salt to taste, the almond slithers and all the spices.
8) Now reduce the heat to slow low and add the wáter and the marinated raisins & the saffron threads with the wáter that they marinated in. Place this with the shallots and reserved pistachios.
9) Stir gently for 3 minutes and add 3 tablsps of Greek or Turkish or Israeli Extra virgin olive oil ..
10) Add half the cooked rice, to this fruit and nut mixture ..
11) Cover the pot or pallera and let it steam .. 5 to 7 mins. approx ...
12) Add the other 1 / 2 of the rice and cook for approx 20 mins - 25 mins or until rice is tender to taste ..

Serve with a lovely Cava, Prosecco or Champagne of choice .. :wino
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Persian Jewel Rice with Cardamom, Cumin & Pistachios

Postby jeral » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:13 pm

Alexandria, that recipe would be much better if we had "Taste-O-Vision" 8-) (I'm being lazy of course.)

Surprisingly little "real" work too, i.e. only zesting and sorting the carrots and shallots. And thank goodness the chef is happy for it to stand without adding the dreaded (in my case) coriander leaf.

Hope you find some other gems in your new cookbook.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:16 pm

jeral wrote:Alexandria, that recipe would be much better if we had "Taste-O-Vision" 8-) (I'm being lazy of course.)

Surprisingly little "real" work too, i.e. only zesting and sorting the carrots and shallots. And thank goodness the chef is happy for it to stand without adding the dreaded (in my case) coriander leaf.

Hope you find some other gems in your new cookbook.

Jeral,

This Persian Recipe was from Bon Appetit Magazine, after Reading at least 200 !

The Cookbook shall be delivered tomorrow at my office .. So the Receptionist could sign for it ..

The rice was superbly splendid and relatively easy to prepare !!

Thanks and have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:56 pm

Alexandria, I have just read through all the ingredients and can see that the flavours will be wonderful when cooked and all combined together. I do like the addition of the orange zest. I will definitely make it very soon.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:11 am

Renée wrote:Alexandria, I have just read through all the ingredients and can see that the flavours will be wonderful when cooked and all combined together. I do like the addition of the orange zest. I will definitely make it very soon.

Renée,

Yes I agree with you. Thank you for all your feedback ..

The zest provided amazing aromas too .. Very Fragrant dish ..

Truly was exquisite ..

Have a lovely lovely weekend ..

Postby Renée » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Alexandria, as you said ..... Truly exquisite! I have never tasted anything as lovely as this. My lamb with Persian ingredients turned out really well, too, so it worked well with the rice.

Most of us have rice in our cupboards, so I didn't think to check. My Basmati rice also had wild rice in it, which rather spoiled the appearance I thought.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:56 pm

@Renée,

Wow !! It looks amazingly dazzling dynamic and exceptionally delicious !

I think we all have a tendency to be too critical of ourselves.

You did an incredible job !

Have a lovely lovely weekend and thanks so much for posting and the photograph.

:wino :wino

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox