Register

Have you ever eaten in a Michelin Star Venue ? View Points

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Have you ever eaten in a Michelin Star Venue ? View Poi

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:01 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Joan
Quick question.
When you travel to these places and have a blast. Does the establishment ever recognise you? Just curious.

What a lovely time you've had.
I like Lyon.
We drove into town one year, pre-laptop and internet reservations, late, at the Tourist Office, to book a hotel. As one used to.
Conference in town so Lyon was entirely booked out.

We were in a queue just as they received a phone call that there was one room available at the Kyriad opposite the local prison.

We got the room, other people looked envious, actually a good location near a restaurant that is legendary there.

Anyway, enough about me ....... what about that OH of yours. He's quite the star. Magic1

Gill, he is a star, always has been :newhuggy .M was student in Lyon and then a lecturer so he knew it well. We had a weekend back there a few years ago to see the lumieres http://www.fetedeslumieres.lyon.fr/en and we ate at Mere Brazier, Nicholas Lebec and Leon de Lyon. It was fantastic but the crowds!!!!!!

No one ever recognises me in France, why should they? and I don't suppose anyone would in the UK except the chefs I have known for a long time.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Oooo pretty.

Tony's just asked me to take him back to Lyon, after I told him about your treat.
He feels sure that the first paved square that has those rows of "acrobatic" water fountains was put in Lyon. You see them everywhere nowadays.

Dennis, I always think you are more vulnerable to the elements when you are on the water.
No other option than just to go with it really.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Gill my treat wasn't in Lyon but in Vonnas in the Bresse. Not all that far from Lyon.

http://www.georgesblanc.com/en/

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:48 pm

What a darling place.
And those prices aren't half bad, Joan.

Thank you so much for the link.

Postby Renée » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:07 pm

The lights are so pretty, Joan! Village Blanc is a lovely place!
Thank you for the links.

Postby Suffs » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:10 pm

From my immediate memory I've eaten at the Savoy Grill when Marcus Wareing was there, quite a few times at the former Adlards in Norwich (when Tom Kerridge was working there) and at The Fox & Goose in Fressingfield in Suffolk when Ruth Watson was there.

Both restaurants are mentioned (alongside others) in this interesting article about Michelin, published in '93.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 81547.html ... I wonder how that article would be written now ... would it be very different? I am aware of several chefs who have abandoned careers in Michelin kitchens to start up more laid back enterprises in the countryside or in coastal areas.

I haven't eaten in a Michelin restaurant for quite a while now as my life has changed and I don't want to spend that sort of money on eating out any more. I do enjoy eating out but go for style, flavour and provenance that suit me rather than looking for awards, usually recommendations by friends who's opinions I trust.

I also prefer to spend money on high quality ingredients and prepare them at home ... presentation may not be Michelin quality :roll: but the flavour usually is ;)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:09 pm

I just saw this clip on "The World's Favourite Restaurants", which I'd recorded a while back but not watched. You have to bear in mind that hare's blood is the most unpleasant thing I've ever eaten, even though that memory is over 40 years old. The restaurant is two-starred Osteria Francescana in Italy.

Chocolate and Hare's Blood Brulée camouflaged with Root and Herb Powders
Give me strength. This is my YouTube comment:

https://youtu.be/ncXNgcbwr4Y

EDITS: VIDEO REPLACED WITH LOUDER VOICES...
Actually a plateful of mixed innards with noodles from a street stall in Thailand and Diniguan from the Philippines at the Hounslow Filipino Festival were both equally disgusting.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:08 pm

M has just been looking at the website of a nearby * restaurant which we know wuth a view to booking a table for 14th February.

He came across a really terrible reveiw from an American client about the rudenss of the staff and how they had made a small child who was with them cry,

Here is the restaurant's reply

No matter what country you visit when you arrive into a restaurant it is incredibly rude to take out your meal and Soda from a Mc Donald bag and to start eating your junk at the table !
It is for the parents to educate their children !

I think they were quite fortunate not to have ended up in the beautiful river which runs alongside. :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:47 pm

@Sakkarin,

As per our message, Chef Massimo Bottura was presented with his 3rd Michelin.

Thank you for the Video ..

Yes, Chef Bottura, had a "messy" time with a highly volatile Journalist a few years back .. It is not always the incident however, the way in which your complaint is presented .. This is the key .. :thumbsup

He is an absolutely enchantment to chat with .. Excellent English as well and an extraordinarily humane and kind man ..

He has dedicated a large portion of his time to feeding the impoverished and poverty stricken and those in disasterous regions (hurricanes and earthquakes) in a large variety of countries along with many other Michelin Chefs ..

:thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:51 pm

@Joan,

Surely, the protocol of these people is non existent .. :vomit

To take out a fast food bag of krap ( pardon me ) in any restaurant other than where they bought it or buy it is totally "out of order " .. :vomit

My my !

Disgusting !

Have a great weekend .. :vomit
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:25 pm

That review said far more about the diners than the restaurant and the manager was right and wise to let everyone know just whar the complaint was really about.

Sakkers I am all in favour of ingredients which some might find hard to swallow, so to speak. Hares blood is wonderful in a civet or similar dish - especially if it has a wonderful rich red wine in it and in a glass beside it!

I can't abide clever for clever's sake from any chef even if they have a galaxy of stars to their name.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Joanbunting wrote:M has just been looking at the website of a nearby * restaurant which we know wuth a view to booking a table for 14th February.

He came across a really terrible reveiw from an American client about the rudenss of the staff and how they had made a small child who was with them cry,

Here is the restaurant's reply

No matter what country you visit when you arrive into a restaurant it is incredibly rude to take out your meal and Soda from a Mc Donald bag and to start eating your junk at the table !
It is for the parents to educate their children !

I think they were quite fortunate not to have ended up in the beautiful river which runs alongside. :lol:

For me it begs the question that why a family with a small child (who is a fussy eater) would decide to eat in a Michelin starred restaurant in the first place! It does seem a little ridiculous, but perhaps it's me.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:51 pm

I just may be the only person on the Food Board who's never eaten in a Michelin-starred restaurant :stfu
Have I missed anything?

Postby Pampy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:09 pm

With your cooking skills and knowledge, I very much doubt that you've missed anything!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:42 pm

No, KKA, you're not the only one. I haven't either to my knowledge. Although I did have a meal in The Lobster Pot in Mousehole, Cornwall when it was a restaurant. It wasn't the most comfortable evening I've ever had. I felt very out of place there, despite my dad's efforts in trying to calm my panic.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:55 pm

@Karakoolaide,

I believe this all has to do with where you choose to dine out, Michelin or not ..

One can have an extraordinarily unforgettable amazing experience if they do their research (homework), no matter where they are ..

Have a lovely evening .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Hahaha! I'm not worried and definitely not feeling sorry for myself! It gives me something to look forward to!
I have eaten in some fabulous places over the past few years. "Alto" restaurant in Caracas, owned by my friend Carlos Garcia ( who spent several years in El Bulli), was in the top 25 restaurants in South America.
Last week we had lunch in Los Danzantes - again, no star, but absolutely fabulous, creative and tasty food.
Then three years ago, in Barcelona, we had dinner in El Passadis de Pep. No menu, 7 or 8 courses of delicious fish and seafood - magnificent.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 am

Karakoolaide,

The Barcelonés Restaurant you mentioned, is quite extraordinary ..

We have been a few times ..

I do suggest, if you are ever in Gerona, to get up to El Celler de Can Roca ..

A totally unforgettable experience and the Roca Museum Gallery is breathtakingly beautiful as well as the restaurant .. Yet not "stuffy" ...

Have a great day ..

Off to catch a plane to Madrid to attend the Fitur World Travel Convention .. and then on the 22nd, Madrid Fusion .. :clap :clap :thumbsup :thumbsup

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox