Register

visiting Barcelona

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

visiting Barcelona

Postby DEB » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:09 pm

We are of to Barcelona for half term. I am looking for ideas of things to do and places to eat. We are staying centrally and are happy to walk or use the metro/bus. We love fish and most other things, however I do not eat Pork but my husband does.

Ideas please :newhuggy

Re: visiting Barcelona

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Mr Strictly and I went to Barcelona for our honeymoon 9 years ago and we loved it. You will be spoilt for choice for fish dishes if you eat anywhere on Las Ramblas or by the marina if you want to treat yourselves to something special. The La Boqueria market is very well worth a visit too. We were so lucky in that our hotel was literally across the road from the rear entrance to it, and the stalls where the locals go. Therefore we used to buy bread, fruit and tomatoes (as well as one packet of serrano ham for the time we were there) for our lunch each day.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 pm

There you go - & won't cost you ...... :D

https://runnerbeantours.com/barcelona-free-tours/

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:50 am

Some suggestions from a native Barcelonés:

Museums:
1) Museu de Chocolate ..
2) Museu Picasso ..
3) La Sagrada Familia ( all of Gaudi´s architecture is absolutely incredibly amazing ) ..
4) Museu Joan Mirò ..

Park:
Güell Park ..

La Mercat de La Boqueria ( The Largest & the Oldest Central Market ):

The Market For Tapas:

Bar Pintxo: Tables available .. The best fresh cod fish Croquettes .. You may be lucky and find the Adrià Brothers chowing down here ..

Neighborhood Born:

For Japanese: Kynoto or Nakashita

For Catalan Tapas & Regional Spanish Tapas: ( Under 20 Euros per person ): Ten´s Tapas Bar By Jordi ..

For Greek: Dionisos ..

For Catalan: Saxgas ..

For Catalan & Spanish Regional Fusion: Arcano ..

For Mexican: Oaxaca ..

For Catalan Vanguard : This is a list of Albert Adria´s Bars:

1) Enigma - Carrer de Sepúlveda
2) Bodega 1900
3) Bar Andriños ( Peruvian and Catalan Tapas )
4) Ègalite
5) Tickets

One Michelin:

Jordi Vila - Restaurant Alkimia

Two Michelin:

Abac Hotel - Chef Jordi Cruz ..

Stand up Bar with Excellent Tapas:

Quimet & Quimet
Carrer del Poet Cabanyers ..

Port Vell: Arroceria:

El Cangrejo Loco ( The Crazy Crab )
The specialty of the house is Suquet of the Catch of the Day, Paellas & Fideuà ( Vermicielli Paella ) ..

Three Michelin:
Restaurant Lasarte Barcelona By Martin Berasategui

Brunch:

The Hotel Arts Café & Open Air Terrace ..

Shopping Centre:

The Diagonal .. ( This is located by the Sea ) ..

The ground floor houses uncountable restaurants and there is a wonderful Lebanese tiny bistro that is simply heavenly ..

Barceloneta:

This is undergoing renovations / reforming and is fun to explore during the day ..

Super Market:
El Corte Ingles - International Supermarket with an excellent Spanish Wine Selection ..

Day Trips:

1) 1 hour via bus: Gerona ( the historic city is incredible ) ..

2) Sant Sadurni d´ Anoia - The Cava (sparkling wine produced since the 1600s - 1800s ) Desgination and have a wine tour with tasting ..

( 40 minutes via Rail west )

3) Bodegas Miguel Torres (Winery)

Email for reservations ..

I would highly suggest Time Out Barcelona Guide, for the subway and rail maps and buses & of course it has a restaurant listing via Price in Euros ..

Another thing I would definitely do is go to Tourist Bureau of Barcelona and pick up some brochures and a map ..

Off the top of my head, this is what I could think of at the moment ..

Have a nice time in Barcelona.
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby DEB » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for those ideas. I am sure it will be a great week. :wino

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:49 am

Deb,

You are welcome and have a lovely trip ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 am

[quote="Lusciouslush"]There you go - & won't cost you ...... :D

https://runnerbeantours.com/barcelona-free-tours/[/quote

@ Lusciouslush,

These free tours English tours merit excellence.

Our tour Company recommends them too ..

Have a nice day ..

Thank you for posting.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:38 pm

Alexandria wrote:Thank you for posting.

There is no need to thank me or anyone else for posting here, we are all members of this board & that is its purpose.

Why don't you post a link to your tour website for Deb - I'm sure she'd find it helpful in organising her itinerary.

Postby MariaK » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Deb,

Alexandria has already given you a list of the usual sites, as I don’t know what you’re interested in, here are my totally personal choices.
I haven’t been to Barcelona for years – more like decades – so can’t help with food/restaurants except to agree that the Boqueria market is well worth more than one visit and, as strictlysalsa clare says, ideal for shopping for a picnic lunch - then splash out for dinner !!!

Parc Guell is generally regarded as a must. Much as I admire Gaudi’s buildings, especially Casa Mila, Casa Battlo - both on Paseo (Passeig) de Gracia or the cathedral I’m not too keen on the rough stone walls or mosaics in the Park, but the house in which he spent the last couple of decades of his life could be interesting.

The cathedral – no visits during Sunday mass, but afterwards, around noon people gather in the large square to dance sardanas . You can just watch or join in.

Other places to visit

Maritime Museum
http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_dire ... _barcelona
Photos
https://www.inexhibit.com/mymuseum/muse ... drassanes/
web site
http://www.mmb.cat/
The Maritime museum also has a schooner called "Santa Eulalia" which is open to the public (when it is in port) at the Moll de la Fusta (wood wharf) at Barcelona's Port Vell harbour just near Rambla del Mar walkway to MareMagnum shopping centre.
http://www.barcelonayellow.com/bcn/Barc ... ime-museum

If you like flea markets Els Encants or Mercat des Encants is huge. It gets very crowded on Saturdays so best to go on a weekday.
http://www.barcelonalowdown.com/new-enc ... ea-market/

The chocolate museum could be fun and you can even do a chocolate making course

Barcelona has a reputation for design – you might like the Design Hub/Museum but it closed after the terrorist attack on the Rambla and not sure if it has reopened.
http://ajuntament.barcelona.cat/dissenyhub/en
Maybe Alexandria could tell you nearer the date.

Pottery
Earthenware cooking vessels are used throughout Spain to this day. Some of the best (due to clay used only available in the area) are made in Breda north of Barcelona. I bought my first set from a potter in Breda in 1975 and still have most of them despite regular use. The shallow cazuelas get the most use. The tall ollas are perfect for cooking beans –hob to oven- as well as rillettes.

http://www.ceramicadebreda.com/es/

https://www.google.pl/search?q=Fotos+ce ... 40&bih=785

Though I prefer the older less glossy glazes

For colourful tableware there’s La Bisbal
http://vila-clara.com/es/productes_serveis_taula.html

Not suggesting you go all that way - there should still be shops selling them in Barcelona

Have a great time, whatever you do,

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Been to Barcelona once as a child and once as an adult (and been through the airport a couple of times as well)

Loved it.

Hope everyone there is OK, that the current problems pass without further violence

Hope all is well with Alexandria and her family in Barcelona and Cadaques, and stays that way :crossed :newhuggy

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:05 am

Stokey Sue wrote:Been to Barcelona once as a child and once as an adult (and been through the airport a couple of times as well)

Loved it.

Hope everyone there is OK, that the current problems pass without further violence

Hope all is well with Alexandria and her family in Barcelona and Cadaques, and stays that way :crossed :newhuggy

@ Stokey Sue,

Thank you very very much.

My husband and I live very close to the sea, and Paseo Maritimo, and in this zone, it is very quiet in regards to National Pólice (Guarda Civil ). On 1 side is all resdiential and the sea side is all Business Hotels & Restaurants.

I am going to be travelling over to Portugal on Monday for business and my husband will drive up to see our sons, his parents, my parents, all in Cadaquès for the holidays, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
(Hispañola Day & Columbus Day = 2 national holidays). There have been no problems there. It is a very tiny sea front resort town and the locals who live in this vicinity have been there for years ..

The main zones that are problematic and troubled by violence, are the zones close to Las Ramblas predominately & where the referéndum voting had taken place ..

Thank you once again. Very kind of you Stokey Sue ..

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 am

When you arrive at the Airport and walk through to get to the Arrivals, pick up a free copy of :

Barcelona Connect Magazine ..

Here is the website .. A clever little magazine ..

www.barcelonaconnect.com

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 pm

Perhaps I shouldn't admit it but I have been to Barcelon once - to watch a football match at the Nou Camp - wonderful experience but I didn't get to see much of the city :oops: :oops:

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 pm

I watched a really interesting arty programme on Barcelona on Wednesday night. It was called An Art Lovers Guide: Barcelona and was on BBC4. The two presenters, Alistair Sooke and Janina Ramirez focused on some of the lesser knows places as well as some of the Gaudi buildings such as Casa Batillo and Sagrada Familiga

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:48 pm

Strictly Salsa Clare,

Lovely guide ..

Thank you for your feedback ..
Last edited by Gillthepainter on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoting removed

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:02 am

Hi DEB.

2 words, bus trip.
Barcelona if I remember has 2 types, north and south.
Take the one that goes out to the Barcelona football stadium (think it's the green North one but my memory is hazy). It's a jolly place to look around - and I cannot stand football.

Really makes you smile. Even better if you are a football fan like what Joan is.

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for the info, Strictly.
A lady at the art school was talking about that programme, but was vague on the channel. I thought it was Sky which I did not have.
Now I know I can pick it up if it is on BBC4 iplayer.

This weekend is going to be filled with catch up TV.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:55 pm

Just adding my endorsement, The Arts Lover's Guide is a good series, hope they do more cities soon (think they will)

So many they could do - all the capitals and many other cities too!
I'd vote for Berlin, Copenhagen, Rome and Madrid

Postby DEB » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Dear All
Now on my third day in Barcelona, I do not count Saturday since because of the winds at Gatwick we did not get to the hotel until gone 10pm rather than the 7:30ish be had planned. Only to find the bar with food was closing. WE are saying in a hotel near the Placa de Lesseps, a little outside the main centre. Today we walked to "FUNDACIO JOAN MIRO only to find it was closed due to a strike which has been on going for a while. I am rather cross as we collected the tickets yesterday form the tourist office and they said nothing!!!!!!!!!!
So far weather and food good.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your woes in Barcelona however, now is a touchy and complicated time politically and best to avoid ..

I thought you had already returned home and avoided all this messy political chaos ..

Madrid Capital would of been a much better choice or Valencia or Alicante or Marbella ..

The northwest had some stormy weather last week.

I would definitely go to the tourist office and see if you can get a refund which is legal or take out a police report ..

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox