Register

Pasta Lexicon & What are your faves ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Pasta Lexicon & What are your faves ?

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:30 pm

It has been estimated that there are approx. 300 types of pasta shapes in Italy and all with regional dialects and around 2,000 + names for them ..

Most often, the Italian Word is the key to its shape ..

My faves:

Cords:
Linguini
Spaghetti

Tagliatelli
Fettuccini

Stuffed:
Ravioli
Angoletti ( crescent moons )
Cannelloni
Lasagne

Little Ears from Apulia:

Orrecchiette

Short Pasta:

Gemelli ( Twisted Cords called Twins )

Have a lovely day..

:crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Pasta Lexicon & What are your faves ?

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm

I'm afraid as a lot of people here know I detest pasta although I do make it with the gcs. I will eat it to be polite but no matter how good the pasta and whatever the sauce with it I just get bored.

I have recently taken to making vegetable spaghettis which I much prefer.

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Alexandria wrote: 300 types of pasta shapes in Italy and all with regional dialects

I knoooooow - you just can't make out what they're saying....................... :lol:

Postby Renée » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Alexandria, my favourites are as follows:

Tagliatelli

Fettuccini

Pappardelle

Orecchiette

I have a packet of Gemelli, but haven't used it yet.

I don't particularly like the fancy shapes, such as bows.

I love Italian food, but don't have it every day, of course! I used to make my own pasta, but soon gave up that idea, because I can't make it as fast as the chefs do on television programmes and we are able to obtain excellent pasta in the UK.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:11 pm

I've just looked to see what I have

Spaghetti (might have been there a long time; think it is there because I have the special jar more than because I use it!))

Fusilli (made from Kamut, a kind of Einkorn, rather than modern wheat) . Has a good texture and flavour, especially when served in a salad (not very Italian but good!)

Nests of tagliatelle paglia e fieno (hay and straw pasta, in other words some green and some yellow nests)

Lasagne

Some short macaroni for macaroni cheese and I often use them in minestrone too, as although not perhaps classic, they are a nice size for some versions. Also good in other pasta bakes.

Some Conchigliette (mini shells) which I got for a soup recipe and should use up

I've got some vermicelli for cooking middle eastern style with rice and some Asian noodles too

Seems a lot....

I don't eat a lot of filled pasta (I used to) but I have some bought frozen pierogi (Polish, quite similar to ravioli), these are very nice, not worth making for one or two people

Postby jeral » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:01 pm

My cupboard tends to have little radiatore or fusilli, the coloured tagliatelle nests, occasionally lasagne sheets, egg thread noodles and rice angel hair.

Renée, I recall reading that Italian people don't normally make their own pasta either so a get out of jail free card there ;)

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Some years ago we found ourselves in an amazing tortellini festival in Valeggio Italy. It took place on a long bridge , there were several thousand people there and various restuarants along the bridge supplied the food. There ws music costume parades and fireworks and it was a memorable evening. i ate about 4 tortellini but the rest of the menu was lovely!

https://www.google.fr/search?dcr=0&biw= ... haVgzwkmws

Postby Renée » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 pm

What a wonderful evening that must have been, Joan! A holiday is always more enjoyable if there is a festival taking place.

Jeral, I read that, too, so it was a good excuse to stop making it!

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 am

Joanbunting wrote:I'm afraid as a lot of people here know I detest pasta although I do make it with the gcs. I will eat it to be polite but no matter how good the pasta and whatever the sauce with it I just get bored.

I have recently taken to making vegetable spaghettis which I much prefer.

Joanbunting,

Thank you for your feedback ..

I had no idea that you dislike Pasta ..

To move on, I have made beetroot, and spinach tagliatelli from scratch by Pasta Machine and both vegetable pastas were very lovely ..

I am sure that the Tortellini Food Festival was amazing ..

Have a lovely evening ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:20 am

Renée wrote:Alexandria, my favourites are as follows:

Tagliatelli

Fettuccini

Pappardelle

Orecchiette

I have a packet of Gemelli, but haven't used it yet.

I don't particularly like the fancy shapes, such as bows.

I love Italian food, but don't have it every day, of course! I used to make my own pasta, but soon gave up that idea, because I can't make it as fast as the chefs do on television programmes and we are able to obtain excellent pasta in the UK.

@ Renée,

Thank you for all your feedback ..

I make my own pasta from scratch during the Xmas holidays as one of our favorites for the 24th is the "7 Seafood Dishes" and we always have a seafood Lasagne ..

I am a grand enthusiast of Pasta .. Yes, I like the "cord" pastas, tagliatelli, linguini, fettucine and spaghetti fresh and ecological organic bio dry ..

Of course, I also prepare from scratch, cannellone for Xmas as well .. ( Stuffed with seafood ) and also one tray stuffed with fresh spinach and home made Ricotta ..

Yes, I am a grand fan of Italian regional cuisine as well ..

Have a lovely evening.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:24 am

Stokey Sue wrote:I've just looked to see what I have

Spaghetti (might have been there a long time; think it is there because I have the special jar more than because I use it!))

Fusilli (made from Kamut, a kind of Einkorn, rather than modern wheat) . Has a good texture and flavour, especially when served in a salad (not very Italian but good!)

Nests of tagliatelle paglia e fieno (hay and straw pasta, in other words some green and some yellow nests)

Lasagne

Some short macaroni for macaroni cheese and I often use them in minestrone too, as although not perhaps classic, they are a nice size for some versions. Also good in other pasta bakes.

Some Conchigliette (mini shells) which I got for a soup recipe and should use up

I've got some vermicelli for cooking middle eastern style with rice and some Asian noodles too

Seems a lot....

I don't eat a lot of filled pasta (I used to) but I have some bought frozen pierogi (Polish, quite similar to ravioli), these are very nice, not worth making for one or two people

@ Stokey Sue,

Thank you for all your feedback ..

Yes, I did not mention the Vermicelli which I use for Noodle Paella, called Fideuà and the Conchigliette used for Pasta e Fagioli or soups ..

Does not sound like alot of pastas !

Have a lovely evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:28 am

jeral wrote:My cupboard tends to have little radiatore or fusilli, the coloured tagliatelle nests, occasionally lasagne sheets, egg thread noodles and rice angel hair.

Renée, I recall reading that Italian people don't normally make their own pasta either so a get out of jail free card there ;)

@ Jeral,

Italian traditional families do make their own pastas however, for holidays and special occasions ..

With full time Jobs, it is very time consuming !!

I too, like tagliatelle Green & White / Hay & Straw they have been called .. And I enjoy a lovely angel hair from time to time with Norway Bay Lobsters ..

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:34 am

Lusciouslush wrote:
Alexandria wrote: 300 types of pasta shapes in Italy and all with regional dialects

I knoooooow - you just can't make out what they're saying....................... :lol:

@ Luscious Lush,

It depends on, one´s Italiano ! or a good Italian researched list which one can photocopy and carry with them ..

The Book: "Culinaria Italia" has an excellent pasta section with photographs of approximately 150 to 200 pasta types and comes in a wide variety of languages including English ..

Have a nice evening ..

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:29 am

I very nearly bought a pasta machine, once, in a silent auction. Have not been tempted before or since.

They do a lovely starter of venison ragu and HM tagliatelle at the F&H, thought about trying it at home, never have.

Pasta at home usually means dried; linguine or spaghetti, macaroni, orzo, lasagne. Less commonly shells or spirals or tagliatelle.

It's seasonal; I make linguini with asparagus and prawns, so have got that in the summer, tagliatelle with bacon and parsnips in the winter.

Also usually have egg noodles, bean thread noodles, rice noodles. Sometimes other ones too

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 am

[quote="Badger's Mate"]I very nearly bought a pasta machine, once, in a silent auction. Have not been tempted before or since.

They do a lovely starter of venison ragu and HM tagliatelle at the F&H, thought about trying it at home, never have.

Pasta at home usually means dried; linguine or spaghetti, macaroni, orzo, lasagne. Less commonly shells or spirals or tagliatelle.

It's seasonal; I make linguini with asparagus and prawns, so have got that in the summer, tagliatelle with bacon and parsnips in the winter.

Also usually have egg noodles, bean thread noodles, rice noodles. Sometimes other ones too[/quote

BadgerMate,

Thank you for your feedback.

Have a nice day ahead ..
:wave :wave

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I absolutely LOVE pasta. In all shapes and sizes. I probably eat enough for us both as well, Joan :lol:

My favourites are;

Ravioli - Filled with EVERYTHING. My favourite being stuffed with crab (both brown and white), red chilli and fennel prongs, served in a lovely shrimp, brown butter sauce with lots of parsley and lemon :yum

Tagliatelle - Simple bolognese. with some torn mozzarella on top :thumbsup

Fuzi - My new favourite since Croatia. It is famous in Istria and is served with with lots of truffle on top. As we found out, that part of teh world has some of the highest concentrations of truffles in the world, and they do not hold back :clap

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:24 pm

I know I am strange :lol: :lol: I think, like many food dislikes it is a texture thing as well as a very low boredom threshold for the food on my plate. For the same reson I am not at all keen on Pizza except in very small portions as a nibble.

I managed to get through two whole weeks in Italy without eating either, because there were so many more interesting things to eat - like tripe done so many ways :lol:

So WWF you are welcome to my protion

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Joanbunting wrote:
So WWF you are welcome to my protion

Cheers, Joan :thumbsup Can I have your share of the wine too? :lol:

Tripe is a funny one, I can eat it but not found the love for it yet. However I did devour quite a lot of pork spleen in cicchetti bars in Venice.

P.s. I forgot to mention my love obsession with gnocchi. A bi monthly staple for me. Especially when I inevitably make too much mash potato.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:07 pm

No you can't have the wine!

I love gnocchi and make them quite often - thats not pasta though.

I love the way nose to tail eating is not considered to be in the least odd in Italy, or here either!

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:20 pm

@ WhitefieldFoodie, that crab ravioli does sound double yum and kudos to you for successfully making it.

@Joanbunting, that festival sounds very impressive, like the opposite of a bbq gathering in the US. I can't think of a similar celebratory example in Britain of a specific food - cheese maybe? I doubt it's Yorkshire puds ;) Risotto is my low boredom threshold food, although on a short visit to somewhere there are always alternative local treats to partake in :)

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox