Register

Pasta Lexicon & What are your faves ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Pasta Lexicon & What are your faves ?

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:40 pm

I love the way nose to tail eating is not considered to be in the least odd in Italy, or here either!

It wasn't here, either, in the time and place I was brought up, but was associated with post-war austerity and poverty so very soon became unfashionable as food became cheaper and more readily available. By the time I was cooking for myself (early 70s) it was much rarer, and consumption suggested eccentricity

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:20 pm

We love pasta in casa Strictly, although Mr Strictly has grown to love it since he moved in with me about 10 years ago. We normally have spaghetti, and a couple of the short pasta shapes in at any one time, always dried. We've also got some dried lasagne sheets which last us ages. I don't often buy fresh pasta, although I have done on the odd occasion, and would do if we wanted some for a special meal. I made it in catering college, without a pasta machine, and it put me off making it for life. I've also never been inclined to buy a machine - the resulting arm ache has put me off. I'm also a bit left handed so it would be a waste of money if I was unable to use one if I found out it would be a left handed task for me.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:32 pm

[quote="strictlysalsaclare"]We love pasta in casa Strictly, although Mr Strictly has grown to love it since he moved in with me about 10 years ago. We normally have spaghetti, and a couple of the short pasta shapes in at any one time, always dried. We've also got some dried lasagne sheets which last us ages. I don't often buy fresh pasta, although I have done on the odd occasion, and would do if we wanted some for a special meal. I made it in catering college, without a pasta machine, and it put me off making it for life. I've also never been inclined to buy a machine - the resulting arm ache has put me off. I'm also a bit left handed so it would be a waste of money if I was unable to use one if I found out it would be a left handed task for me.[/quote

@Strickly Sue,

Thank you once again for all your feedback and have a lovely weekend ..

I do not know if some of the manufactuturers produce "left handed" pasta machines or not.

:crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Badger's Mate wrote:
I love the way nose to tail eating is not considered to be in the least odd in Italy, or here either!

It wasn't here, either, in the time and place I was brought up, but was associated with post-war austerity and poverty so very soon became unfashionable as food became cheaper and more readily available. By the time I was cooking for myself (early 70s) it was much rarer, and consumption suggested eccentricity

@Badger Mate,

Thanks for your feedback ..

The whole family are pasta and big risotto fans as well of course, paellas and fideuàs ( vermicelli ) enthusiasts.

Pasta is also a comfort food !

Have a wonderful weekend ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Alexandria I agree with you that pasta is a comfort food, which is why I enjoy it occasionally!

Has anyone tried fregola? It is a Sardinian couscous, but much larger than the normal couscous that I buy. I think that it must be a type of pasta. Here is a lovely recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi:

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/roasted-lem ... salad-shop

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:29 pm

Renée wrote:Alexandria I agree with you that pasta is a comfort food, which is why I enjoy it occasionally!

Has anyone tried fregola? It is a Sardinian couscous, but much larger than the normal couscous that I buy. I think that it must be a type of pasta. Here is a lovely recipe by Yotam Ottolenghi:

http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/roasted-lem ... salad-shop

Renée,

Good evening. Fregola or Frégula ( In Sardinian ) is a pasta prepared from Semolina and it resembles Israeli Couscous, in its form of 2 inch to 3 inch balls.

It is normally served with Vongole ( with fresh clams ) or other species of shellfish ..

It is also served very simply, steamed like couscous with saffron .. And a drizzle of Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil ) ..

i will check out the link that you posted too ..

Hope this has helped .. It is quite tasty with Vongole ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :limbobanana

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:33 pm

@ Renée,

That is one hell of a stunningly gorgeous salad with Frégula !! ( Fregola ) ..

On my list !!

Have a wonderful weekend !!

Postby Renée » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Alexandria, thank you so much for the ways of serving Fregola. I have yet to start experimenting with it, but am keen to do so now. Yes, Yotam Ottolenghi has some excellent recipes and I have two of his books.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:36 am

Renée wrote:Alexandria, thank you so much for the ways of serving Fregola. I have yet to start experimenting with it, but am keen to do so now. Yes, Yotam Ottolenghi has some excellent recipes and I have two of his books.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

@ Renée,

I do not know this Author Chef, however, I have a few Sardinian Cookbooks and have prepared it Vongole (with fresh clams) and also with prawns ..

Maybe I will post one .. I am going to Portugal on Monday and will be home on Sunday ( 15th ) .. It is a National Holiday - the 12th and many people are not working on the 13th.

Have a lovely weekend ..

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 am

Renée wrote:Has anyone tried fregola?

Renee, Fregola is basically Israel couscous but toasted so it has a nutty flavour & is coarser - more chewy

It makes a good tabouleth in the summer & is also good with beans & bean soups instead of orzo - I like it mixed with pancetta & pecorino - it's a doodle to cook - in stock just like couscous but always run it under cold water straight away & then reheat when ready, it keeps very well in the fridge so handy to have around.

They eat a lot of it in the States where I first tried it as a side instead of rice with lamb shanks :yum

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:03 pm

I have thought that if I ever acquired a big posh stand mixer I'd get the pasta attachment, mainly for making filled pasta which I think probably is worth making at home as you control the filling

Also good for things like samosa pastry of course

Not keen on fregola or giant couscous, it's the texture

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:
Renée wrote:Has anyone tried fregola?

Renee, Fregola is basically Israel couscous but toasted so it has a nutty flavour & is coarser - more chewy

It makes a good tabouleth in the summer & is also good with beans & bean soups instead of orzo - I like it mixed with pancetta & pecorino - it's a doodle to cook - in stock just like couscous but always run it under cold water straight away & then reheat when ready, it keeps very well in the fridge so handy to have around.

They eat a lot of it in the States where I first tried it as a side instead of rice with lamb shanks :yum

@ LusciousLush,

Soups similar to Pasta e Fagioli and Taboulei are nice ideas for Sardinian Frégula or Fregola ..

In Sardinia, they grow Ecological or Bio or Organic Semolina and thus, créate Frégola by hand in the Barragia Mountains .. and it is quite wonderful ..

Thanks for feedback .. Have a nice day ..

Postby Renée » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:20 pm

Lush, thank you very much for your helpful information! I think that it would be easy to make at home, if I can't find it in the supermarkets. I hadn't realised that it was popular in America.

I am finding these threads very stimulating, because at my age, I have been guilty of using the simple way and sliding backwards, but this is getting me back into having more interest in the preparation of meals. Living on my own has its advantage, having only myself to please! :klingonbanana

Thanks to all of you!

Have a lovely time in Portugal, Alexandria. I have happy memories of the custard tarts!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:03 pm

Renée,

And of course 365 fresh cod fish dishes and the squid, calamar and prawns !!

There is also an Apple Pastry with Raisins that is simply exquisite ..

However, I will be in Porto this trip 1st and via coach ride down to Lisbon ..

So, we are going to visit a " mermelade " producer who creates the most amazing marmelades from fresh figs, lemons, berries and chutneys from Eco / Bio fruits and herbs ..

And off to do a Port Tasting as well before heading to Lisbon .. We will spend 3 days and 2 nights in Porto ..

All my best .. Have a lovely week ..

Postby Renée » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 pm

What a wonderful trip that's going to be, Alexandria! I do envy you! I have made different marmalades in the past, my favourite being Seville orange. I enjoy making chutney too and must get more adventurous with those.

I was with family in Portugal, so didn't get to choose restaurants, unfortunately and there were three children present, so everything revolved around them! I would have loved the apple pastry with raisins.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:44 am

Renée wrote:What a wonderful trip that's going to be, Alexandria! I do envy you! I have made different marmalades in the past, my favourite being Seville orange. I enjoy making chutney too and must get more adventurous with those.

I was with family in Portugal, so didn't get to choose restaurants, unfortunately and there were three children present, so everything revolved around them! I would have loved the apple pastry with raisins.

@ Renée,

I collect recipes on gastro eno tours, and shall see if the Baker / Pastry Chef will part with his Apple Raisin Tart recipe !

I adore Bitter Orange preserves with the zest ! ( It can be also called: Naranjas Amargas de Sevilla ) ..

The Company of mermelades & chutnies, ships world wide ..

The name of the English Speaking Company is: Casa da Prisca in Trancoso, Portugal ( close to Salamanca, Spain ): http://www.casadaprisca.com ( my contact: Tri-lingual José Manuel Gomes)

Must run .. Thank you for your feedback once again ..

Have a lovely day ..

Postby Renée » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm

What a lovely website, Alexandria! I shall have a good browse through later!

I would love the recipe for the apple raisin tart if you manage to get it ... or brief instructions would be fine!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:16 pm

In the UK we make breakfast marmalade from Seville oranges of course (though admittedly many marmalade oranges come from South Africa; same variety)

I sometimes buy a British style orange marmalade made in Seville by a firm called La Vieja Fabrica, widely available in UK stores, though I prefer a slightly darker marmalade such as Frank Cooper's Vintage Oxford most of the time

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:39 pm

There's one made in East Anglia called dark Yoxford marmalade... :D

I quite like the mixed fruit ones such as orange & tangerine, or three fruits. Tend not to have the latter at home though as grapefruit interferes with one of Mrs B's meds.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 pm

I make lots of marmalades as some of you know. I have to order my Seville oranges from one of the stalls in the market because they are used so rarely here - usally only to make the sauce for duck a l'orange !
I make lots of other marmaldes too with citrus fruits and also quince marmalde - the original Portugese
sort. I mentioned it on the quince thread.

How have we got from pasta to oranges?? No problem for me because i am much nearer my comfort zone with preserves.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox