Register

Mobile phones in restaurants

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Mobile phones in restaurants

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Earlier I heard about this:

https://www.thelocal.fr/20171003/french ... -coca-cola

I might say hooray but the same ban has been in place in this "restaurant" for many years. What dor you think?

Re: Mobile phones in restaurants

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:26 pm

Good on that man.................!

I can't bear listening to people's banal conversations on mobile phones anywhere but especially hate it on trains & in restos where you're really captive - & why is it no one keeps their voices modulated? No - they have to talk reeeeeally loud just in case there's someone deaf close by who can't hear them - & why are they usually the most naffest of voices? With the dullest of conversations......?

I could go on.................. :evil: :evil:

I would be very alarmed if I saw ketchup/mayo on a restaurant table, but not if it were a café.

And coke should be out in the kitchen - to clean the pans with :D

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 pm

I think a restaurateur has the right to set his own rules about mobile phones, or anything else within the law.

I see no reason to object if people want to text or view phones; it's inconsiderate behaviour of any sort that's objectionable. TBH I'd find a whistle being blown objectionable (unless there was a fire). Still, it's a policy the owner can pursue or abandon but it's got him some free publicity ;)

PS: I found the article via this link: https://www.thelocal.fr/20171003/french ... -coca-cola

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:38 pm

I must agree that the whistle thing was rather de trop. I suppose I am lucky in the fact that we have no signal here most of the time but I really hate sitting next to anyone using a mobile device in a restaurant, even to text. It just isn't necessary.

Jeral that's the link I used isn't it?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:13 pm

I am in agreement with mobile phones being used in restaurants, pubs and any social gathering. I don't have a smart phone and I am not reliant on the one I do have. Therefore if I am sitting at a table with friends I feel like Billy No Mates because everyone is using their bloody phone! It's even more annoying when I am at a (rock group) Queen Fan Club event (like Mr Strictly and I will both be this weekend). You can bet your life that there will be loads of fellow members on facebook 'talking' to people at the next table via their phones rather than face to face :x ! Call me old fashioned but I think it's lazy and rude.

Mobile phones are handy if you're wanting to meet up with your friends though, especially if you're held up in any way.

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Joanbunting, just to clarify, yes, exactly the same link as yours and same characters, but more characters are included in the bit you click on, is all.

Back to the discussion...

Postby MariaK » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:33 am

Totally agree about mobile phones in public places. For years I refused to have one though eventually had to give in as we kept having problems with my Mother's landline - got the cheapest available. It recently packed up but as the phone trouble's been sorted out it has not been replaced. In France if you want to use it on a train you're supposed to get up and go to the area between carriages and most people do that.

Though I would also object to the whistle in a restaurant.

As for Coke - not under my roof if I can help it.

Postby QinNortham » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:14 am

I loathe, detest, abhor (insert any more words of choice) the use of mobile phones in restaurants and have a blanket ban on their use at our dining table. The latter has not gone down well with the fiancée of elder step son, she appears to be surgically attached to the wretched thing. I don't spend time, money and hard work to produce food, presented comme il faut to have her putting down her knife and fork to check..............the football results!

Coke and other similar drinks only make an appearance when have some sort of party, was the same when The Boys were much younger and they weren't in the least bit bothered. Thankfully their late Mother was of a like mind so they had been brought up not to expect sugary, fizzy drinks on tap.

Actually I'm warming to the idea of a whistle in the house but not in a restaurant.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am

We have Coke at home because the kids like it (that being the term for the next generation, however old). I don't touch the stuff, but might one day use up an opened bottle by cooking ham in it. Mrs B uses up opened bottles by putting Bacardi in it (other brands of white rum are available) - "you don't want to waste it"

In a restaurant, I would hope that anyone receiving an urgent call would leave the room to deal with it. In a less formal setting such as a caff, regardless of whether they call themselves a caff, such as coffee shops or burger bars, I expect people will do whatever they want. That's how it is and I'm free not to use the place.

To me, the issue in restaurants is one of disturbance, much like the presence of a loud group. If those on an adjacent table are all staring silently at phones and do not cause disturb anyone else, it's win-win. I don't get disturbed and have reason to grumble (silently) to myself about the rudeness of others :D

Postby Renée » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 pm

My mobile phone is always turned off when in a restaurant and I noticed that my granddaughter also turned her phone off when we entered a restaurant. So good for her, as she is one of the younger generation.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:54 am

I would expect nothing less from your Charlotte Renee ! How is she doing? tabs and H are the same.

Postby Renée » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 pm

Charlotte is fine, thank you, Joan and has just returned to Swansea, where she is in her final year now. How time flies! Although she is studying Public Services, she seems to be involved in a lot of sport too, which is good. She loves kayaking.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm

nice habit to adopt there Renee.

Now I don't think I've quite talked about being on holiday enough yet!
We have a plug in fridge when we drive through the continent. Filled with those little cans of coke light.
It plugs into the ciggy port.

Fancy a nice cold little diet coke darling.
I'd love one ........

Never had a problem with phones really.
But I do feel for the poor OH who's out with someone who is on their phone from starter to pudding without taking breath.

Postby Renée » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 pm

Gill, it's good to have you back with us!

I did think that you had a small sports car ... but fridge??? !!! Don't tell me that you now have a VW camper, or similar?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 am

Thank you Renee.
We've had a Citroen C3 for a while now, with those fold down seats at the back that convert it to a van. We can now go on holiday with far too much than is good for us.

I am trying to convert Tony to a touring car, and he started talking to a couple at the port area with a VW vehicle you could sleep in. But it was not a camper van.
He's still resisting, but I shall persevere.

Not quite mobile phones, but on the ferry back, we booked the restaurant. There was a couple in front, and a couple behind me in the reservation queue.
Now they were seated on rather cramped 2 seater tables.

Tony and I were directed to a corner round table, with moody lighting, and a personal waiter. It was a lovely final meal out.

No idea why, although we ate from the a la carte menu, not the central buffet affair. But they did not know that was our intention.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox