Register

Pantry Moths

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Pantry Moths

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

I have a problem that I don't think is pantry moth but I have no idea what it is

Something is targeting tomatoes in my kitchen fruit bowl

At first I though the issue was mice, nibbling chunks out of tomatoes. I undoubtedly did have a visit from a mouse a few weeks back, but I've been vigilant and I'm pretty sure there are no mice, rats or cockroaches currently active in my kitchen, I checked around by wiping the surfaces with a clean white cloth dampened with Dettol spray, I found a few coffee grounds, a few grains of rice but not a trace of a rodent dropping

Here's what has happened

During the hot and humid weather I was puzzled that my tomatoes went off, overnight
    Finally I left a few slightly unripe tomatoes in the kitchen fruit bowl, and saw that something had removed a patch of skin about the size of a £2 coin, and a little bit of the underlying flesh
    I could find no trace of the missing skin or flesh, so I guessed something had eaten it and it had left with them
    I went on mouse patrol, but thinking about it, a mouse would chomp into the sweet flesh I think?
    Having left the kitchen as close as possible to sterile while I went away, and seeing no signs of vermin a week after I came back I started using the fruit bowl again
    On Saturday night The Tomato Thing attacked one tomato and one yellow pepper
    So on Sunday I cleaned the bowl, and left out a very firm tomato as bait
    Something took out a £2 coin sized patch, again no trace of vermin or debris in and around the bowl (which is glazed ceramic, so not hiding anything)
    I'm confused

What is causing this, and what can I do?

Here's the latest victim, not all that clear, all that's missing is a patch of skin, and a thin layer of the underlying flesh, the edges of the lesion are quite neat, a little bit uneven but not ragged. I think it's the lack of debris that's doing my head in

Postby Badger's Mate » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:45 pm

My first thought, given the shallow damage, would be molluscs, but surely there would be a trail somewhere.

So clearly the work of alien molluscs, beamed down on to your tomatoes. :shock:

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Sue I would suspect a molusc as well, Sometimes small slugs and snails come in on salads etc. thos very small white snails don't leave much of a trail. I imagine you have looked unde the bowl so why not lay a trap with a tomato surrounded by a circle of salt?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 pm

It won't be something that has come in on salad, I don't think, I wash the tomatoes before I put them in the bowl, and I've been washing up the bowl too with hot soapy water every time

Also, it has been going on for weeks - different varieties of fruit & veg from different sources.

I agree the lesions look like something a mollusc might do, but remember I am in a first floor flat an there don't seem to be significant numbers of slugs or snails on my pots - I had one awful infestation (came in on a plant from RHS Wisley that was full of snail eggs and baby snails I think) but I managed to get rid of that, aided by a cold snap at just the right time

As my work surfaces are slate coloured I would expect to see trails, but maybe not

Think I'll follow another suggestion I've had & try flour to look for tracks (very Scooby Doo)

Postby jeral » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:10 pm

The flour trick is an old one but used more to see if, when spread thinly on a plate, it's moved by flour weevils. I think Joanbunting's point about a circle of salt is that it would kill anything crawling onto it, or be stuck in the middle if not wanting to cross it.

Could you put the bowl in a room where you sit so you can monitor it, armed with a magnifying glass? Or put it in the dark to see if it's a night walker? Or in an airtight poly bag in case it's something burrowing its way out? Or line some toms up like soldiers on the counter, one dipped in bleach, one in a dilution of honey and one plain - and just one plain in the fruit bowl in case it is the bowl for some reason. Also is it all toms, or just beef or cherry whatever?

Putting veg in the fridge would be the easy answer I imagine but it'd drive me mad too not knowing as only skin being eaten is baffling. Also, if invisible, what the heck else might it/they be getting at. I do hope you find out and let us know.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:18 pm

That is quite weird - my first thought was ants with those precise channels - but you'd see evidence of them - there's nothing for it but to declare war & install a cctv camera....!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 pm

There's another fruit bowl on the sideboard in the living room
Unaffected, no tomatoes in there of course but plums and nectarines have been fine

Don't think it can be anything coming out of the toms as they have come from several different sources

Only seems to happen at night when I'm in bed

I think the phenomenon may be location specific, so will try to catch the blighter(s) in situ

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:16 am

I got rid of mine by replacing my kitchen

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Sue
I cannot even imagine what could be going that. Most odd.
You haven't got a bat in the eves that comes out when you turn the lights out, do you?

Talking of bugs.
I bought the really loooooong pasta from Sainsbury. And gave it equally long shelf space luckily on its own.
When I eventually came to open it, it was littered with black bugs.

I was fortunate, it was contained to the packet. And only had to clear out one cupboard and wash.

How have you got on, Sakkarin?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 am

I found a pack of rice flour that had clear signs of occupation, and hope that was the culprit. I've quarantined and cleared that particular cupboard, and I'm scanning daily for signs of habitation. I've killed 4 or 5 moths, no sign of any for a couple of days. Today I will clear out another cupboard that has loads of dry goods.

I haven't the heart to simply chuck everything out :-(

Fortunately most of my asian dry goods are in a separate room, which has had no sign of them.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:56 pm

i have the moth problem, too. they are gradually decreasing with the use of the electronic tennis racquet. it's more satisfying than many other cures.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Hokay .... I'll ask.

What the bejeezuz is an electronic tennis racket, Scullion :lol:

Sorry Scullion, I've edited your name (predictive text!)

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Here you go Gill! Incidentally I have one in the loft, I think it came from Tandy/Maplin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM-KbFxs9sM

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I have one of those. It was given to me for zapping mozzies but the moths we are talking of are usually parked somewhere so are very easy to squidge.

Postby scullion » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:12 pm

hiya, yes, one of those, mine came from the local pound shop (and one from lidl a few years ago). they aren't an instant cure for the moth problem but you do feel as though you're getting your own back.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:13 pm

for those watching, he FINALLY does it @ 2mins30 - ha ha ha.

Never, ever seen or heard of one of those before.
I almost want one.

Would have been handy in my childhood, when I remember loads of flies in the house. My mum used to use windowlene, and I think they were attracted to it. But looking around now, we don't have a single one indoors.

Scullion - gotta love poundland.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Never, ever seen or heard of one of those before.
I almost want one.

Exactly

Postby Pampy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:09 pm

I've got one that came from Amazon. I find it very useful, and, as said, it gives me a feeling that I'm getting my own back!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:12 pm

mwwwwhhhahahaha !

I'm going to have to go through my dried beans cupboard.
None of which is in a tupperware. At best just a plastic bag.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox