Register

Pantry Moths

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

Pantry Moths

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Oh dear, I didn't know such a thing existed, I thought moths ate clothes :-(

I found a moths in a cupboard a couple of weeks back, and spotted a maggotty thing squirming in the cupboard too, so removed everything and cleaned it all thoroughly, including throwing out several old bags of flour and spices and so on, which I wasn't sure had not been the larvae's food, but keeping anything which looked untouched. I presumed that had done the trick, but I must have missed something, as I've had a few more moths round my foodcupboards in the last couple of days, so I got round to googling, "what do house moths eat", and found that the wretched things are not clothes moths, but pantry moths, and it seems I might have got a rather difficult to remove pest.

Anyone else had these, and knows an easy way to get rid of them, or do I really have to throw my entire kitchen contents out?

https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to- ... r-kitchen/

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Pantry-Moths

Re: Pantry Moths

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:38 pm

I've never heard of them either Sakks - they look a nightmare, you have my sympathy, it's horrible having any sort of infestation around cupboards - you probably bought it in an infected bag of something.
That's what happened with me a few years back in an infected bag of flour - weevils everywhere, it literally drove me insane - you have to have a really good clean out - then vacuum absolutely everywhere, every tiny crevice, then a good bleaching down of the cupboards. That worked with the weevils, since then I always store any flours/rice/dried goods etc. in clip-on containers - so far, fingers crossed, I've not had any more trouble.

It does make you paranoid tho' - I still stare for ages at the inside of bags of grains etc for any sign of movement!

Oh yes, forgot - peppermint oil is good at keeping any crawlies at bay - I soak a cotton wool pad in it & leave it do it's work.

Postby jeral » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:08 pm

I hadn't heard of pantry moths until I researched clothes moths, which have been a blight this year in my bedroom :( The old fashioned mothballs are banned now and there doesn't seem to be an effective way of either killing the eggs before hatching or the adult female moths which bury themselves rather than fly.

Sakkarin, perhaps if you know you've got rid of adult moths, check how long pantry moth eggs take to hatch and leave everything out until that time has past and all is still clear.

FWIW, after a weevil episode years ago, I keep all dry stuff each in a poly bag in the freezer. If freezer space is limited, decanted into big (microwave sterilised) coffee jars. Maybe decant all yours anyway as the larvae will have to eat through the paper/card first.

Good luck.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 pm

There was a discussion about them on the old BBC forum. I think Dr Sweetsmoke is something of an authority on them

They are a nuisance

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 pm

FWIW, after a weevil episode years ago, I keep all dry stuff each in a poly bag in the freezer

I started to notice the odd weevil in the kitchen a few days ago. I looked in the cupboard where last year's crop of dried beans were kept - :shock:

Currently sorting through them, chastened...

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Oh yessssss - they love dried beans - you don't have to see any movement - just the perfect spherical hole in the bean --- I've even seen evidence of the little blighters in chocolate - AND......chilli pods :shock: !

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't mind the holes, it's the ones that haven't yet come out of the holes... :shock:

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Noooo............................. you're a naughty Badger - actually, if you look carefully you can see the ones that haven't come out - there's a 'brownish' shadow on one side - said I spend far too much time staring into bags....!

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:01 pm

I know. This year I will either freeze or heat them up.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Oh dear, this sounds like I'm going to have to pour out and inspect everything I've got, and that's hundreds of packets of this and that :-(

They seem to have come from one particular cupboard - maybe I quarantine just that one cupboard for a couple of weeks and see if I have any further outbreaks...

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:34 pm

Poor you Sakkers and I'm afraid so. the only way to remove them is to get rid of all dried ingredients , fumigate the cupboards and the containers and only use sealed containers in future.

Here we wage constant war on the bl^^^y things. Really makes you aware of rotating stocks of dried goods and keeping them in very airtight containers.

Postby Pampy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:31 am

I've read somewhere that this year has seen a resurgence of this kind and clothes moths. Here's an article that lists what can be done to get rid of the blighters
https://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to- ... r-kitchen/

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Excellent article Pampy, the only thing I'd add is if you have an infestation of anything that lays eggs, if you have a suitable vacuum attachment vacuum all the cupboard crevices before you scrub, really helps with both pantry and clothes moths (and you can't always scrub clothes drawers)

I got rid of mine by replacing my kitchen, which may be a little drastic

Postby Lusciouslush » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm

I do so wish I could read the title thread without seeing ' Panty Moths ' :stfu

Hope you get it sorted soon Sakks - you'll get there!

Postby Alexandria » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:41 pm

@ Sakkarin,

Oh my .. Gross .. We have never had this issue .. :twisted:

There is some excellent advice on this post and I wish you all the best of luck in eliminating these dreadful creatures ..

I would definitely get rid of all and scrub the whole pantry down and put peppermint essential oil and call the exterminator as well to do the whole flat or house ..

All my best ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Sakkarin, I am feeling so very sorry for you. I once had weevils, so I know what you will be going through. It is a nightmare. :cry:

Thank you for the peppermint oil recommendation, Alexandria.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Renée wrote:Sakkarin, I am feeling so very sorry for you. I once had weevils, so I know what you will be going through. It is a nightmare. :cry:

Thank you for the peppermint oil recommendation, Alexandria.

@ Renée,

I believe it was Sue Stokey who mentioned it, in her post and my parents use it on the boat for preventives when docked and at the warehouse during vacation times .. It works on all types of insects ..

Have a lovely weekend and all my best ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Sorry about that, Alexandria. Thank you to Stokey Sue for the information. It is useful to know about the peppermint oil.

Postby Uschi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:27 am

It's probably too late in the year, but there are tiny flightless wasps that lay their eggs inside the moth larvae. I bought strips with wasp eggs to put into the cupboards and they did a good job.
I think one got two or three sets of eggs about a fortnight apart by post and they were then left to do the job.

Postby Renée » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm

That's something that I've never had of before, Uschi!

I've only seen one moth this year, fortunately, so they're not much of a problem.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox