Register

Risotto: How do you do your´s ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Risotto: How do you do your´s ?

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 am

Firstly, I use "carnaroli" eco bio rice from Lombardy and the combined aged cheeses I use are Reggiano Parmesano & Pecorino Sardo from Sardinia & 82 % Butterfat, French Butter.

I make seasonal risotto at least twice a month, when home at weekends.

1) Risotto with Boletus Eduli and Trompetas de Muertos Negras ( Boletus & / or Black Trumphets of Death )
2) Risotto with Prosciutto & Lemon ..
3) Risotto with Gorgonzola and Pistachios ..
4) Risotto with Red Prawns ..
5) Risotto with Assorted Seasonal Shellfish ..
6) Risotto with Green Asparagus in the Spring..
7) Risotto Milanese with Saffron ..
8) Risotto with Fennel, Leek & Shallot ..
9) Risotto with Red Wine .. (Chianti Classic ) ..
10) Risotto Primavera with Artichokes, Carrot, Green Asparagus & Fresh red tomato.

Have a wonderful day and all my best from Lisbon .. Will be home Monday late afternoon ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Risotto: How do you do your´s ?

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 am

I make risotto quite often and, like you Alexandria it bepends very much on the season.

If luxury is called for, then a real treat is champagne and truffle.

When I make the asparagus version I cook the tips very briefly and the stalk in a different pan. I liquidise the latter and use that is my base stock.

This time of year I am spoilt for choice with all the wild mushrooms but it really dependson whic ones I either pick or am given :lol: :lol: I think 6 eggs for a big baskey of ceps is more than a fair exchange. My absolute favourite though, is with morilles in the spring. Even with fresh ones I often add so dried with the saoking water because the flaavour is so much more intense.

I use several different risotto rices, but currently have a big bag of carnoroli - from Lidl !

Postby Pampy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:54 am

I make risotto quite a lot. Favourites are wild mushroom; prawn, asparagus and saffron (like Joan, I lightly cook the asparagus separately); peas and saffron; plain, with an intense home-made chicken stock.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 pm

We have a risotto about once a week. My usual ones are leek pea and ham, mushoom, Med veg, and my favourite is fresh tomato and courgette. I sometimes add a small amount of cream cheese to it when appropriate. On the occasions I have made my own stock in the slow cooker, I always make one and it makes such a difference. I am a bit naughty in that I tend to do retro risottos using long grain rice. This started as a result of tight financial constraints and I've just carried on doing them that way :twisted: . I just don't stir the pan quite as much as I would when making one with the proper risotto rice.

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:59 pm

My favourite risotto is squid ink risotto with griddled squid. I think it is the drama and smell of it all.

I also do chicken & leek and crab, saffron and tarragon risotto (my other favourite with grilled fish) :)

Slightly off topic I have been doing quite a few baked rice (pilaf stylee) dishes recently. I may start a new thread for inspiration for new flavours save hijacking this one :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 pm

I don't make it very often, but I do like mushroom risotto made to Antonio Carluccio's recipe. Sadly I had to throw out 120g of lovely dried porcini and all my risotto rices in my Pantry Moth clearout round 2, so the ingredients are no longer to hand :-(

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:20 pm

@ Sakkarin,

Yes, I am quite a fan of Antonio Calucci and his dear friend & colleague Gennaro. I truly have enjoyed all their programming on BBC TV and especially their gastro travel adventures .. They are quite an amazing team .. I also have all their books which were Xmas presents a few years ago ..

Big on wild forest Boletus and Black Trumphets and I too like Morilles in spring ..

So, sorry about your "bicho" invasión ..

Thanks for your feedback .. :crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:22 pm

So many lovely ideas .. and so many common likes too ..

Wow .. on Risotto di Seppia ( squid with squid´s ink ) ..

Thank you all your feedback and have a marvelous evening ..

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:39 am

@ Sakkarin,

Thank you for the Carlucci Risotto di Funghi recipe ..

This is exactly how I prepare mine ..

I also soak my Boletus Eduli in boiled water for approx. 15 minutes and pour this liquid into the Carnaroli Bio Rice.

I make a home made veggie stock of course ..

Great récipe and simple to prepare .. I dislike daunting complicated récipes ..

Have a nice day ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 am

I like risotto but seldom seem to get round to making it, I last made a simple Milanese (saffron) risotto to go with osso bucco, but some kind of fungi is my fall back too, or seafood

Postby Badger's Mate » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:11 pm

We often have cauliflower risotto, rarely any others. The one we make is loosely based upon a JO recipe.

Postby smitch » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm

I love mushroom risotto but my husband hates mushrooms so that's a treat for when I'm on my own.

My regular one is leek, with a bit of blue cheese crumbled in near the end of the cooking time. I also like roasted butternut risotto, sometimes with blue cheese, sometimes not. We often have risotto at this time of year as it is so warm and comforting.

Postby Alexandria » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:26 pm

@ Smitch,

Mushrooms are a part of Mediterranean culture especially in Spain & Italy and France ..

Surprising .. The 1st comment I have ever heard on a Forum ..

Each to his / her own as we say ..

I am sure your leek and blue cheese risotto is wonderful .. Also a gorgeous comination ..

:limbobanana

Postby Pampy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Leek and blue cheese sounds very good to me too - I'll have to try it. And I wonder what tenderstem broccoli and blue cheese would be like? Another to try too.

Postby smitch » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:20 pm

I reckon broccoli & blue cheese would work well, it's a good combo in soup.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:29 pm

@Pampy,

Blue Cheese (gorgonzola ) and Broccoli Risotto would be lovely ..

I prepare a blue cheese with pistachio risotto which is heaven on earth .. So, adding fresh seasonal broccoli
would certainly be fabulous ..

Thanks for the feedback .. :wino

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox