Register

Holidays are only 7 weeks away. Plans ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Holidays are only 7 weeks away. Plans ?

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:03 pm

That sounds totally idyllic Luca & what Christmas is all about - family.

I remember you saying one year after a visit to your family home you didn't know if you'd be able to get back to London with all the snow.

Hope the workload is lighter for you - not easy I know only too well - & anyway if those markets have closed the gluhwein will still be open.................... :thumbsup

Postby Renée » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:51 am

That was so funny, Lush!!! :lol:

Luca, it's going to be a wonderful Christmas for you with your family and very well deserved. How wonderful to be in Vienna in early December and I hope that the Christmas market will still be open late evening.

Update:
It only took a couple of minutes!

https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-d ... -in-vienna

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 pm

Alexandria, those are outrageously odd. What a find, Lush. I'd be mortified if you actually found the one of meeeee!

Hi Luca.
I'm so pleased you are getting back to your Christmases of your childhood. Thanks to your brother dearest.

We are in full negotiations.
As per usual, a discussion to change our champagne salmon & scrambled egg breakfast is first up.
Tony said, why not use quails eggs.
Well I want something different, not more difficult that's why.

Evening meal, not turducken, it takes 4 or 5 hours of sewing to prepare.
Not turkey.
That's as far as we have got.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Gillthepainter wrote: I'd be mortified if you actually found the one of meeeee!

Here you Grillers................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/chris ... ml?image=2

:D :D

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Oh dear, there goes the neighbourhood...

Postby Gillthepainter » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:20 pm

he he he.
I still think they are most odd.

Postby Luca » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:20 pm

Renée wrote:That was so funny, Lush!!! :lol:

Luca, it's going to be a wonderful Christmas for you with your family and very well deserved. How wonderful to be in Vienna in early December and I hope that the Christmas market will still be open late evening.

Update:
It only took a couple of minutes!

https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-d ... -in-vienna

I better get a warm coat! Thanks Renee.

I'm definitely up for several glasses of gluhwein Lush.... to wind down and for medicinal purposes you understand.

I'll miss the boys Gill but will be with good family and friends.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:21 pm

My answer is I wish I knew.

I know none of the family will make it here this year for very understandable reasons..

It is no longer sensible to regret the " old days" and the wonderful Christmases we shared with huge family parties etc.

We will be here with good friends and are trying to plan what we will do. but unfortunately one of them has just had bad health news and may not be able to participate.

So what I say is, if you are planning a huge Christmas do, please please enjoy it and stack the memories in your heart. You may need those later and they should be truly wonderful.XXXX

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:37 pm

The Gilt Painter & Lush,

Firstly, Caganers ( figurines doing their toilet business, a spoof on Spanish politicians and well known personalities ) are purely Catalan, not Spanish ..

2ndly, The Ephiphany or 3 Wise Men or The 3 Kings, on January 6th, is when we all give major gifts which are placed in front of the Nativity ..

Due to marketing, the Christmas Tree has become more popular and many Spaniards and Catalans and Basques put up Xmas Trees now .. ( Real Pines and False Trees or Branches with lights )

We do give our gifts to our grandsons on the eve of the 24th or very early in the morning on the 25th ..

As well, they receive a tiny gift on January 6th as well, usually their favorite sweets or a tiny token, which we call " detalles " ( detail - tiny gift ) as well .. And the Cake called El Anillo de Los Reyes, the King´s Ring which is stuffed with coins and tiny toy figurines (like a Cracker Jack Box ) ..

Have a wonderful evening ..

Thanks for all the feedback ..

A Trump Caganer doing his toilet business is this year´s popular Caganer !!!!!

Ha Ha Ha .. :rudolph1 :rudolph1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Oh, how hilarious about the Trump Caganer! It will be a best seller, that's for sure!

:gonzo :gonzo

Postby Alexandria » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:05 pm

@ Renée,

Surely !

Historically, Caganers are a spoof on political figures !

And as you can imagine, there are thousands of these hand crafted Caganers ..

I have quite a collection up at my 2nd residence in Cadaques stored .. I have no room in our Barcelona flat ..

Have a great day .. :tiptoesanta
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:48 am

It's our wedding anniversary mid-December. So we have a bit of an interruption to the process.

But I've decided when we get home we shall take a visit to Williams Foodhall, in Nailsworth. http://www.williamsfoodhall.co.uk/shop.aspx
To get our delicatessen requirements.
We do have a couple of places in the Cotswolds. Cirencester is a jolly place to get some treats too.

Postby Luca » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:It's our wedding anniversary mid-December. So we have a bit of an interruption to the process.

But I've decided when we get home we shall take a visit to Williams Foodhall, in Nailsworth. http://www.williamsfoodhall.co.uk/shop.aspx
To get our delicatessen requirements.
We do have a couple of places in the Cotswolds. Cirencester is a jolly place to get some treats too.

Have fun both of you! I wonder what the goodies will be.... What a wonderful place!

The Cotswolds are indeed lovely as is much of that area.

Recommendations needed please anybody. If there was one thing (and unfortunately time will be very limited, outside of cultural opening hours etc) that you would see in Vienna if you had a couple of hours from around 9pm and wanted a walk/place to people watch etc? I may also have a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon before my flight.

Christmas markets are already on the list.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:52 am

Sorry Luca, I cannot help with Vienna.
Others here have probably been though.

Wrap up warm though, I have a feeling this winter is going to be an icy one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:50 am

Vienna still on my bucket list

In Nailsworth remember Single Glouscester cheese, Mary has brought it to meets and it is good

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:58 pm

I'd say Klimt museum but doubt if it'll be open after 9pm. Alternative, stroll round the Opera House area - they might have an outdoor screen operating, nice restaurant underneath. Or stroll the river, canal? where the river boats tie up.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:56 pm

Luca - you really are spoilt for choice in Vienna - it was years ago when I was there and still remember the coffee houses where the smoke was so thick from cigarettes you could chew on it! It'll be very different now ( I hope)!

Luca wrote: If there was one thing (and unfortunately time will be very limited, outside of cultural opening hours etc) that you would see in Vienna if you had a couple of hours from around 9pm

My girlfriend & her son went for a few days last year & thoroughly enjoyed it - although their itinerary read like military precision, but she discovered a bar up on the top floor of the Sofietel with floor to ceiling windows & the most stunning view right across the city - It's called The Loft - that's where I would head for a relaxing drink after 9pm. :thumbsup

Oh & don't forget the apple strudel.......!

Postby Luca » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Thanks everybody. The Loft sounds great Lush! Good photo opportunity too

Petronius, I like the sound of the walk. Perfect way to unwind in the evening after what are going to be very busy days.

I am on a mission to find a new thick, thermal coat over the weekend Gill. I feel the cold terribly these days.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:14 pm

If you do make it to The Loft Luca, report back - I'd love to know what you thought of it!

Good luck with the coat hunting - I can't seem to find anything these days if I specifically go out looking.......!

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 am

Luca, I thought about you yesterday when I was in M&S. They had a big selection of suitable jackets. I hope that you managed to find a suitable one.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox