Register

Holidays are only 7 weeks away. Plans ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Holidays are only 7 weeks away. Plans ?

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:54 pm

The Xmas Holiday Season is only 7 weeks away Plans ?

As usual, this is a time when we drive up to Cadaquès to visit my parents, two married sons, inlaws, daughter in laws and two grandsons aged 6 and 7.

The 24th, is quite traditionally classic and the evening´s degustation is always " The 7 Shellfish, Fish Carte " .. Appetisers are usually freshly caught oysters on the half shell and Champagne and Cava ..

The 25th is usually venison tartare or filet mignon tartare and assorted "apertifs " or tapas to begin with and more Cava and Champagne or Prosecco and filet mignon seared rare or blue rare .. and a simple salad of field greens ( rocket, sorrel, water cress, escarola and radicchio ) ..

The 31st, is always a French carte, consisting of 3 Fondues. The 1st in a 7 Cheese Fondue with Kirsch transparent brandy from French Alsace. The 2nd is, filet mignon and the 3rd a chocolate fondue served with a wide variety of seasonal fruits ( pears, red & green freshly picked apples, mandarines or oranges, mango sometimes or pineapple or fresh guava or fresh rasberries and black berries with sponge hand made from scratch by my mom in law and mom ) ..

:wino At midnight, at the sound of the chimes, we eat 12 White grapes as quickly as possible for luck !!

The 1st, we keep it quite light and have locally caught John Dory ( Saint Pierre ) or Turbot or Seabass baked in white wine or Coquille Saint Jacques or Brittany Lobster boiled in Mediterranean Sea Water, and served very simply with French butter, and depending on availability, Crevettes which are a large Deep red Prawn called Carabineros in Spanish and Crevettes Rouges in French and English. Their Latin name is: Aristeus Antennatus ..

Then my husband and I are headed to Italy on the morning of the 2nd and shall be home on the 7th January .. My parents also are travelling as well as my inlaws and sons with their families ..

Have a lovely holiday ahead and all the best of health and success in your endeavors ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Holidays are only 7 weeks away. Plans ?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Alexandria

Christmas for us is generally very quiet and spent at home. Mr Strictly does shift-work in a workplace that is always in use, and he's be working on Christmas Day and Boxing Day this year. However it normally starts a few days early for us food-wise. I am a somewhat obsessed fan of the TV show Strictly Come Dancing, and the Final falls on the Saturday before Christmas. On this night I prepare a canape spread, otherwise known as 'Strictly Snacks' in our house. This year, for the first time, I am planning to base the snacks on the countries/eras of origin of my favourite ballroom and Latin dances the show features.

Christmas Eve is fish night, which is often fish pie - probably Mr Strictly's favourite meal. I haven't decided on what to do this year at the moment. I also cook a ham on this day as well.

Christmas Day is a roast of some kind - I don't often cook a full blown one, so whatever we'll have will be a treat. As I will probably be working once our local branch of Iceland supermarket has their Festive stuff on sale, the choice is up to Mr Strictly this year lol! We've had their festive roasts in a foil container for the last 2 years and have really enjoyed them. I roast parsnips, potatoes & carrots, and cook a green veg medley as well as gravy and stuffing if needed.

Boxing Day is either cold cuts, bubble & squeak and pickles, or Boxing Day hash and pickles. The option is dependent on how floury or smooth the potatoes are. I've usually got some leftover veg left from Christmas Day which get used up in this meal.

From 27th until 30th/31st it's dishes using the leftover meat, either soups, rice dishes, pasta or maybe a pie.

For the last few years on New Years Day I have made a celebratory meal that's not a roast and envisage and the same this time as well. In the past I've made a special casserole, hotpot or a paella. At the moment I have got no clue as to what I'll make but may get some inspiration in either my books or online by the time we need to buy something.

I always make my own mincemeat and therefore mince pies, Christmas cake and a festive pudding of some kind. We don't like the traditional British Christmas Pudding - fat too stodgy for us!

Mr Strictly also gets an edible Christmas goodie box from his boss at work, as do the rest of his colleagues. For the last few years we've had a large panettone so I usually end up making a panettone version of American bread pudding with a wedge of it! There's also a selection of boxed chocolates and biscuits but we had some savoury snacks last year for the first time, such as peanuts, Twiglets and Pringles.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:21 pm

@ Strictly Salsa Clare,

Good evening ..

Sounds wonderful ..

Yes, the Pannetone ! I make a French Toast for Brunch with the left over Pannetonne, a couple of days after .. It is lovely ..

My mom sometimes does a Paella Marinara ( only shellfish ) for the 1st January or a Catalan Fideuà ( vermecelli noodle pasta ) ..

Thanks for all your feedback and have a healthy, fabulous 2018 ahead ..

:clap
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:51 pm

Christmas day has always been spent with family, although quite small in numbers. Childhood memories were helping grandma to pluck a goose. I have no idea why she bought one with feathers on! I used to help make the stuffing from bread, chopped onions and dried thyme or sage, which were bought ready dried in bunches. Grandma always made a trifle too.

During my married life, with two children, I made the Christmas Dinner, starting before Christmas to make the stock from turkey wings or a leg, which would go towards making the gravy on Christmas Day, along with the juices from the turkey. I would stuff the neck end with a mix of good quality sausagemeat, chopped onion, celery, lemon rind and parsley. We would have roast potatoes, carrot batons and sprouts with the meal and delicious gravy. Home-made Christmas pudding afterwards. My parents would join us.

I will be travelling to Wokingham this year to spend Christmas with my man friend, Colin. We have the Christmas meal on our own, but get an invite from one of his daughters to have a meal with them.

Alexandria, what a wonderful time you will be having with family and all that amazing food!

Postby Alexandria » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:51 pm

@ Renée,

Thank you for all your feedback and lovely traditional celebrations. Sounds like Thanksgiving ..

Though not celebrated in Spain as a bank holiday, we do have a large American Expat Community in Madrid particularly and several restaurants including Michelin, Pedro Larumbe in the financial district offer a Thanksgiving Degustation.

It is quite uncommon in Barcelona however, there are quite a number of Americans teaching English in Barcelona who are from the Usa.
They do the walking tours via the Barcelona Tourist Bureau ..

Sounds wonderful and have a marvelous and safe trip ..

All my best wishes ..

:wave

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Oh Crikey!

I forgot to mention the trifle we have on Boxing Day. It is always a must have pudding, and has been since Mr Strictly and I were both children.

There is one thing which has always been important to me since we've been having our own celebrations. We've always incorporated familiar elements from both our family festivities, even to treating ourselves to Ritz-type crackers at Christmas - sometimes it's had to be Asda's version of them which are very good if the proper ones are unavailable. We normally have cream crackers the rest of the year.

There is a very good reason for the joint elements being present. Most of the foodie stalwarts on here may remember what I call 'the wilderness years' when I was living with my dad and stepmum. She ruled the kitchen generally and we had to have her Christmas only. Dad and I didn't get a choice. Therefore it was roasts every day between Christmas Day and New Years Day! Although Dad and I often protested and insisted on something everyday like pasta in the middle. Stepmum grudgingly obliged! It got to the point that I would spend Boxing Day with my mum and stepddad so I could enjoy the cold cuts, bubble & pickles that they used to have. I think my dad got a bit envious of this!

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:04 pm

I refuse to think about the C word until Ste Barbe, December 4th. Although, to be strictly truthful I'll be stirring up on Novenber 27th. I have no idea if anyone is coming but I know we are not going anywhere, ut happy to receive family if they wish.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:33 am

Alexandria
How you manage the 12 grapes is unfathomable! I tried in Malaga but couldn't.

Strictly, is your trifle just the traditional?
I tried one that was too many layers, jelly custard sponge fruits. It was OK, in its deconstructed-ness. Looked good in the square glass bowl though.

1st Nov ........... I will wear a coat, but not before.
And I will start charging up for Christmas.
But your mentioning coquilles St Jacques, I might consider for a starter. Good idea.

Joan, stir up Sunday, I'll be on it this year.

Nice memories, Renee. Except having to pluck the goose that is. ;)

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Gill

yes, it is the traditional trifle made with jelly-sponge-fruit base, then custard and cream. I did try something a bit left-field one year, with the sponge and fruit on the bottom, then the custard, then the cream. It did taste a bit weird, and we both missed with fruit and sponge in the jelly texture, so I made another one in the conventional way for New Year IIRC. I didn't add the cream last year for 2 reasons. a) the use by date on the cream was too short for us to finish the trifle in time; and b) Mr Strictly's tummy trouble was affecting him quite badly, so he either skipped on the cream or just had a little bit when he was feeling OK. I may have to do the same again this year but Mr Strictly is feeling a lot better thankfully. I'll have a chat with him about what he'd like me to do nearer the time.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:23 am

@The Gilt Painter,

Firstly, we do not have a sweet tooth particulary so after 7 shellfish & fish courses, on the 24th, there is little room for dessert. Usually a Catalan dessert made with home made goat cheese ricotta, honey and rasberries which is called: Mato with caramelised honey .. and served in large stemware glasses ..

A cheese board with seasonal fruit as well .. And our Champagne ..

On the 25th, we usually have a classic from Alicante, Nugget or Turrón. And a cheese board with fruit .. Some chocolate truffles from Sprüngli in Zúrich ..

The 31st, our dessert is a black chocolate Fondue ..

The 1st is some thing very simple, fresh fruit in season .. and a home made Tiramisú .. and some typical Spanish pastries for those who wish to indulge ..

The Grapes: I was born in Barcelona and so it is a taught protocol on the 31st .. We have no problems ..

I have never had a Trfile in Spain and only had one when in London several years ago during a short week length´s stay with my husband .. It had cream layers with a variety of berries .. Nice !

Have a lovely day and Thank you for your feedback ..

Postby WhitefieldFoodie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Christmas and New Year is always a busy and hectic time for me and Tiff. Living in Greater Manchester and having family in The Wirral and Midlands respectively means we end up on the motorway more than either of us want. Either way I always end up lending a hand when it comes to the food. This year we are with my family in the Midlands so I will likely do most of the cooking as my Mothers health isn't too great at the moment.

Xmas Eve is always pub night with friends, but always starts at our house for pork and stuffing cobs and a couple of liveners from my dad "Chrimbo Beer Stash". Xmas morning is always my dads time to shine (get stressed) in the kitchen when he whips up his gammon and egg butties for who ever can stomach it with one of my dads signature rum laced coffee's.

Early afternoon, all systems go, meat out to rest, all garnishes and veg that need roasting get the space and the steamer goes on full whack, and my gravy gets finished. After a mad final half hour, I pour a large glass of sherry and start the task of putting everything out on the table warmers whilst my mom readies the prosecco and mulled wine.

This year I am doing a stuffed turkey breast. I will do a HM sage and onion stuffing and wrap in smoked bacon. This will go along side a roast goose which I spatch-cock and dry brine before cooking and a small ham. Sides will be; roasties, mash, roast carrots and parsnips, mixed greens, sprouts in bacon and cauliflower cheese. But most importantly, a mountain of pig in blankets :lol: There will be 7 of us this year so easier than the year before last when I had 15 at the MIL's.

Boxing day is bubble and squeak for lunch and cold meat butties on the evening, a nice and easy relax after the madness of Xmas day.

Postby Petronius » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:50 pm

When all the children lived with us, Christmas was fairly straight forward with me doing the main mail (it's only a Sunday roast after all) and OH doing those fiddly extras like pigs in blanket, bread sauce and red cabbage.

As they set up their own families, it became a real mixture of seeing them as well as they coming to us. In most places I helped but didn't push it. I'm as happy doing nothing as I am fully involved. We've done the present drop on Christmas morning locally and then driven to Oxford and previous years to Yorkshire. Last year we went to son's who is local, plus his in-laws, there was a surfeit of talent so we left it to them.

We did a hotel one year, it was OK but not the same as being home.

This year the mould is being well and truly broken. Like many families, it is difficult to get us all together for Christmas but this year its going to happen.

Last Christmas someone suggested booking a large house. All (almost) our children and grandchildren, plus husbands, wife, girlfriends and boyfriends will be there on Christmas day. We had to book it from Thursday to Thursday, not everyone is staying the whole week, but that's to being expected – the various partners have their families too.

There'll be twenty one of us. :thumbsup :birthday-dancer

Postby QinNortham » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Petronious, you have made me laugh. Many years ago my then secretary was in a real state over cooking The Meal. I told her it was a Sunday Roast with a few whistles & bells. She has stuck to this mantra for the past 35 years with great success.

I'm sure the country house Christmas will work very well for a family, sadly my elder step son & his fiancée have gone down this route for their wedding. Not till next May but already things are going pear shaped. In the middle of nowhere, sleeps 32 (including little ones) but there are an awful lot more guests. On his side we are a very small family, fiancée not the same. We are currently negotiating that they invite the partners of his only 2 cousins. Seems this is not on because the fiancée has 10 cousins and "it wouldn't be fair on them if C&J's partners were invited and not those of the 10 cousins". I've had a quick calc & on her side there are a minimum of 24 and even if the cousins partners were invited on our side we would be 9!

Anyway, CD. Mr Q fancies woodcock. I'm not so sure having had a quick look at how they come along, beaks & legs mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 am

Woodcock? That's a new one.
Last year's family turducken was declared the best meal my BIL had eaten. It was good mind.
But I'm not boning out any more birds again for a while.

Especially not woodcock, Q.

I think I know what I shall do for New Year with family. Maybe based around a dosa meal.
With a variety of fillings for them to try.

And my BIL wants to know how to make parathas.

Postby QinNortham » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:31 am

Gill, I rather gather one cooks them whole including the guts plus head, beaks & legs.....doesn't really appeal although I'm not fussed about gutting, skinning etc as a rule.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:46 am

Jeez.
As if cooking your Christmas meal wasn't taxing enough, Q.

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:53 am

I have eaten woodcock but prefer them alive and in the wild.

Postby Alexandria » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:23 pm

Thank you all for your wonderful holiday traditions .. and nostaglia ..

:tiptoesanta

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 am

GillthePainter wrote:1st Nov ........... I will wear a coat, but not before.
And I will start charging up for Christmas.

Don't get it Gill, why would you go by the calendar rather than the thermometer?

What I do for Christmas varies
When doing a "full English" it's gammon for dinner on the 24th (wel you have to cook it sometime), beef, turkey, duck or goose on the day depending on the number of people and their taste. Smoked salmon in there somewhere, either breakfast or starter
I do quite like spending Christmas Eve out though
When this was an Anglo-French household we used to mix and match, oysters on Christmas Eve (followed by fish or steak) or if out then, as the Christmas Day starter followed usually by duck as in those days I could get wonderful duck from a smallholding and you must feed Gascons on duck regularly or they sulk
Stilton is essential too, and Christmas pudding, mince pies and trifles not necessary (don't remember my mum ever making a trifle)

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:22 pm

I like to extend summer and autumn for as long as I can. I love not having to wear or carry a coat around.

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox