Register

Holidays are only 7 weeks away. Plans ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Holidays are only 7 weeks away. Plans ?

Postby Lusciouslush » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:58 pm

When my legs were always really tanned ( by the sun!) I wouldn't wear tights/ trousers until mid November when the cold really set in - it's like resisting to put the heating on until you really have to - a sort of giving in, so I totally understand where you're coming from Grillers.....!

Don't know about giving any thought to C just yet - waaaaaaaayy too early for me.................... :rudolph1

Postby Pampy » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:I like to extend summer and autumn for as long as I can. I love not having to wear or carry a coat around.

Me too!

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:25 am

The Waitrose magazine has got a free calendar.
That looks rather good - seasonal food lists, and recipes.

There are some rather nice looking pasta dishes by the River Cafe in it too.
I'm sure I'll make at least one of them during the Christmas period.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:25 pm

One of our 24th´s 7 fish / shellfish plates is always a pasta with seafood .. Norm, is Seafood stuffed Cannolones ..

With a lovely light fresh Marinara ..

All sounds wonderful ..

Thank you for all your feedback .. :prezzie1
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:30 pm

I am a trouser woman and wear trouser narrow slim legged trousers with matching jacket or a a jacket that suits with médium high heels ( I carry them in my bag ) to the office when I have clients to meet .. When at office, on Monday or home, doing paper work / computer reports or our newsletter editing, I wear leggings or jeans and boots or flats .. :limbobanana

I never really wear skirts or dresses as I find them dreadfully uncomfortable ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:02 pm

Funny your mentioning that, Alexandria.
Trousers always here usually. Until I discovered Massimo Dutti long boots. And wear tunic dress with leggings and those boots. i've just dragged out my winter wardrobe today, and put my summer ware away.

Otherwise, no thank you to frocks. Far too breezy.

Lush, you planning anything yet for Christmas?
You know it's going to be on top of you before you can say Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I'll have you know Grilly that I can actually pronounce that - so there - :tongueout !

That shoe make was a new one on me - good find - they look great, those boots will really elongate the leg especially with a tunic - it's a v.good look! Believe it or not I couldn't wear even those heels now after 4 b-i-g injuries to my legs so it's total flats for me all the way - I do miss my heels..........!

The leaves outside are still floating down so it's still autumn & I haven't given Crimbo a thought - will be making a pudding or two soon tho' now The Lushly has given up his sweet tooth - as a treat - hope it doesn't push him back over to the dark side again tho'.......

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 am

Well done to Mr Lushers giving up on his sweet things.
If he's like me, he won't be able to go back to before.
When I eat too much sugar, I spin and go dizzy with the hit. Can't do it any more, although a small cake or biscuit is fine.

Flats for me too. You and I are both tall enough that it isn't an issue.

I'm trying to find log pieces to make a Christmas tree.
I've been buying from the nursery for years, but this year thought I'd have a go at this charmer I saw in Lisbon. But I cannot find the appropriate wood/ logs.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm

That looks very Nordic Gilly & a good excuse for a walk & a forage in the country - they're more braches than logs aren't they - I suppose logs would look too stumpy - a bit like a gremlin crimbo tree..... :D

I can just see some knitted reindeers hanging on that tree..............& gonks!

Postby Pampy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Would thick bamboo canes work?

Postby Renée » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:32 pm

Gill, you might find something suitable here, or do a search for Craft branches.

http://www.decorativebirch.co.uk/birch-branches-stems/

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:14 am

What you need are the straight poles produced by coppicing
Search for coppice crafts, woodland crafts, or hurdle makers locally, must be some in Gloucestershire

This one probably isn't handy, but you get the idea

http://coppice-products.co.uk/maker/worcester-coppice-crafts/

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 am

Aren't you all marvellous at this.
Renee, I saw the decorative beech stuff online, but it is a lot of money for one piece.
I can saw it no problem, I've got my kit for making frames.

Sue, Worcester isn't so far away, I quite fancy looking at their shop. I shall take Tony out for a drive at the weekend.

Bamboo is an idea too.
I wouldn't be able to make it look wood lie, I don't think it would paint up well, being slippery, but it's a thought.

I'll miss not having a real tree, but I just want something different.

Knitted reindeers coming up Lush ......................................................

Postby Petronius » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:32 am

Get on yer bike!

Our art tutor did a couple of sessions, drawing/painting using twigs with ink found amongst the hedgerows. With recent winds there should be a lot of twigs around. Leave the car at home.

Postby Petronius » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Our art tutor did a couple of sessions, drawing/painting using twigs with ink found amongst the hedgerows.

Or rather

'Our art tutor did a couple of sessions, drawing/painting using twigs found amongst the hedgerows with ink as the medium.'

Or, sometime in the next few days I'll be pruning our blackcurrant bush. Happy to cut to length and post, though I imagine they'll be too thin for the lower branches.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:16 am

That's a kind offer, Dennis. I'm sure I'll be fine finding something.
Foraging is an idea, but I'm not sure the pieces will be big enough.

Talking of arty twigs, basket weaving soon. I'm going to make a bag basket to go with my umbrella basket this year.
For those carrier bags that are stuffed in and around places.
A bit of order is needed.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Wow .. The Gilt Painter,

Fascinating idea .. We are still quite traditional and it is always a fresh evergreen ..

My parents, and sons put up a tree for our grandsons.

Since we go up to Cadaques for the holidays, we only put up a Nativity on the Dining Room Table and some Catalan "Caganers" which are figurines of a wide variety having bowel movements ..

http://www.caganer.com

They bring good luck to those who display their Caganers .. They are quite comical and endearing ..

:chrissytree1

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:00 pm

[quote="Alexandria"]Wow .. The Gilt Painter,

"Caganers" which are figurines of a wide variety having bowel movements ..

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do so hope not.............

Spain seems to go in for New Year rather than Christmas - I well remember when my friend & his partner spent their first crimbo in their apartment in Nerja - he always loved a huge tree & put it out on his balcony, fully dressed with lights etc.......it was the only one for miles ( domestic) & glowed...& glowed......brightly - the locals were amazed & were all probably thinking...... " ah, those Brits" as soon as they saw it!

Postby Lusciouslush » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Postby Luca » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Lusciouslush wrote:Look what I found.................

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/chris ... cenes.html

That's hysterical Lush! What a dubious honour for Catherine.

This Christmas I shall be staying with my brother who is now living in my old family home with his family and we're all really looking forward to it. It will be the first time we have Christmas there since our father's death some years back as it needed extensive work done on it.

My two sons are living abroad and their jobs mean they will both be working. My other brother and his family will be there along with copious other family members. If we get snow I shall be tobogganing with my niece and nephews. All traditional things will be done. I'm greatly looking forward to it and as I am currently in the busiest part of my working year and will be until at least 20 December it can't come too soon!

I have a business trip in Vienna for 4 or 5 days in early December and am hoping to visit the Christmas markets.... However working hours will be 7am - 8pm minimum... So hope they stay open until late.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox