Register

Mustard and its consumption

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Mustard and its consumption

Postby Mustard » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Julien and I am a mustard lover eager to start making my one to sell at my local market (East Dulwich).

Before I go ahead and buy lots of nice stuff for my stall, I am trying to figure out how the product is actually used & consumed by others... I mean what do you guys buy, what do you use it with? I am especially keen to hear from vegetarians, do you even use the stuff or simply consider it a by-product of meat?

I have done a survey on the google thing to try and help me gather the feedback, but I am also keento hear your raw views on the below so we can discuss them!

Google thing link: https://goo.gl/forms/pyWbgP2iMUkLaL3t2

Thanks a lot!

Re: Mustard and its consumption

Postby Pampy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:10 pm

Hi Mustard - welcome! I don't eat meat (just poultry and fish) but I do use mustard. It's an essential ingredient in cheese sauce, especially when I use the sauce for something like a fish pie that has smoked fish in it - I think it needs a bit of an extra kick. I'm a northerner and have to admit to enjoying the odd chip butty or two - and a favourite way to have it is with grated cheese and mustard. As I said, I do eat poultry and sometimes like a bit of mustard on a cold chicken sandwich.
Good luck with your enterprise - and keep us posted on how you're getting on!

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi Mustard and welcome :wave

I'm happy to tell you what I use mustard for. I'm not veggie as I eat fish but not meat. The three types I use are Colman's English mustard powder, Dijon smooth and seed grain.

- In a standard vinaigrette for salad,

- In white sauces used to smother vegetables in baked gratin dishes or pasta bakes, or appropriate fish,

- Added to home made tomato sauces to use with pasta or white fish,

- In a coating batter or breadcrumbs to add flavour if deep frying veg croquettes or fish bites,

- As one of several spices in a little oil to coat part-boiled potato chunks that will then be roasted to crisp them,

- Occasionally to spice up veggie gravy for Yorkshire puds, and some soups - the sort of things where chilli heat and flavour wouldn't suit,

- Added to bought mayonnaise or creme fraiche or yoghurt used as a dressing.

Mustard is used in melted cheese dishes and in piccalilli for a Ploughman's (cheese) Lunch, so it's not only useful for meat eaters. I confess I've never got around to making piccalilli though.

Incidentally, forgive me for being pedantic, but "by-product of meat" means something that comes from an animal, whereas accompaniment or garnish is what you mean.

Hope this helps for non-meat uses.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:19 pm

I use mustard in a number of ways:-

English mustard powder either as an additive for cheese sauce, particularly in Macaroni cheese or cauliflower cheese, or reconstituted as my preferred accompaniment to a full English or liver and bacon.

Purchased prepared mustards, such as Tewkesbury or Dijon, with roast beef or ham, meat pies and so forth

Wholegrain mustard as an additive for mash, or served with ham, pork pies and suchlike when sharing with people who don't like hot mustard. Also goes well with lentil burgers/rissoles

I used to really like Gordons Green Peppercorn mustard (whatever became of that?) and made my own variation using mustard seeds (!) black pepper, allspice, vinegar and honey. I used to own a hand cranked coffee grinder that was used for the seeds, but it was lost in the Great Consolidation...

I really must do that mustard again.
Last edited by Badger's Mate on Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:25 pm

I have used mustard powder many times to make piccalilli. Thanks for the reminder Jeral.

Mustard seeds are also used in cookery without grinding of course; black ones in Indian recipes and white ones, for example, in the cucumber relish that several on here make.

Postby scullion » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:38 am

hi, vegetarian here and i use it mainly in salad dressing, on cheese on toast, with veg sausages, in onion gravy, sometimes in mashed potatoes and the seeds i use in indian cooking and pickling.
i also throw some of the seeds in the garden and use the leaves when they've grown - and forage the leaves from the wild - which i use mainly in salads.

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 am

Only Dijon in salad dressing. OH uses it occasionally in some of her pasta dishes.

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:52 am

I have used powdered or Dijon mustard in dressings and added to cheese dishes. I sampled several types whilst in Wisconsin and my favourite was cherry mustard which I haven't seen over here.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 am

Hi
I have currently in my fridge
Dijon
French wholegrain (moutarde a l'ancienne)
Colman's English
A Polish one (this is a sub for the German Loewensenf that I really like with sausages and cold cuts)
French's yellow American mustard (probably won't replace this, nice on burgers but I see it more as yellow sauce, the third to go with red and brown)

In the cupboard I have Colman's powder, black and yellow seed

I really must declutter
I use the made mustards in cooking; dressings, sauces, cheese souffle, glazes for things such as a bacon joint and as a condiment with burgers, sausages, cold cuts. My family eats English with cold roast pork, my friend's also with hot.

The seeds go in Indian dishes and pickling, the dry mustard in rubs and sauces (try rubbing short ribs in one piece with dry mustard a nd slow roasting) Also in home made mayo

I loathe honey + mustard, a combo that ruins everything it touches for me but I do like Carluccio's salsa di mostarda, a sweet fruity condiment great on salads of cooked veg

I'm considering making Ina Garten's tomato and gruyere tart, which uses loads of Dijon and can be vegetarian,
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/annas-tomato-tart-3756210

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:05 am

Hi
I have currently in my fridge
Dijon
French wholegrain (moutarde a l'ancienne)
Colman's English
A Polish one (this is a sub for the German Loewensenf that I really like with sausages and cold cuts)
French's yellow American mustard (probably won't replace this, nice on burgers but I see it more as yellow sauce, the third to go with red and brown)

In the cupboard I have Colman's powder, black and yellow seed

I really must declutter
I use the made mustards in cooking; dressings, sauces, cheese souffle, glazes for things such as a bacon joint and as a condiment with burgers, sausages, cold cuts. My family eats English with cold roast pork, my friend's also with hot.

The seeds go in Indian dishes and pickling, the dry mustard in rubs and sauces (try rubbing short ribs in one piece with dry mustard a nd slow roasting) Also in home made mayo

I loathe honey + mustard, a combo that ruins everything it touches for me but I do like Carluccio's salsa di mostarda, a sweet fruity condiment great on salads of cooked veg

I'm considering making Ina Garten's tomato and gruyere tart, which uses loads of Dijon and can be vegetarian,
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/annas-tomato-tart-3756210

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 am

I guess, rightly or wrongly, that mustard and cress has got mustard in it; that's used in egg sandwiches

Sometimes winter mustards get grown on the plot as a spicier stir-fry option, but this year I've only got Chinese cabbage & pak choi. There is mustard in Tübigen mix, which I've got growing for bee food.

I too have got some American yellow stuff in the fridge but that barely counts. I got given it after one of Mrs B's mates went to the Ideal Home exhibition. I also tried some M&S Posh Dog mustard (we like the PD relish) which was similar to the American stuff.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:35 am

Badger's Mate wrote:mustard and cress has got mustard in it.
I think you'll find these days it's just cress, maybe my "health" comment later has a bearing on that :-(

I'd have said I had all seven of Stokey's mustards in the cupboard, but on checking I realise that in recent clearouts I've not replaced ones I've thrown out, so I am left with black mustard seeds, English mustard powder, English made mustard and Polish mustard. To be honest I don't really like the "vinegary" mustards, and given that I love the nose-rush it gives, English mustard always wins for me.

One product that nobody has mentioned is mustard oil, which is possibly my favourite oil.

Both mustard seeds and oil are used in Dipna Anand's fab Achari Chicken Tikka recipe.

Mustard oil also adds a special something to salads to accompany Indian dishes, with a bit of chat masala thrown in.

Unfortunately mustard oil usually has "for external use only" on the bottle which always worries me, as I cannot be sure whether it has actually been prepared for human consumption, or really is intended for external use only. Apparently they are obliged to put that on to satisfy US food legislation.

ADDED: Prompted by BM's post, I should mention that I have several packs of different mustard greens in my Chinese stuff cupboard, must conjure up something to use that.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:49 am

I've got a couple of sachets of pickled mustard greens too, come to think of it.

Postby smitch » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:22 pm

Sadly I'm allergic to mustard so can't use it any more :cry:

I used to make whole grain mustard mash quite often. I also liked it in Delia's potato salad recipe which uses a dressing made from mustard rather than mayo. I also used to have American mustard on (veggie) burgers or to dip my chips/fries in. Always used mustard powder in cheese sauces and cheese scones

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I have prepared my own Dijion Mustard ( my favorite ) ..

2 Cups French Burgundy White Wine
1 shallot minced finely
1 cup of White ( beige ) mustard seeds crushed into a powder ( Sinapis Alba from the Brassicaceae Mediterranean Yellow Flowers of the plant which produce a pod of sedes and they are ground. They are available via Amazon as well if you shop on line. I buy mine from a French Distributor or The La Mercat de La Boqueria in Barcelona where I reside ..
1 Tablesp of French Bio organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tps of coarse salt
2 cloves minced garlic.

Very simple to prepare ..
In a sauce pan, combine the wine, shallot and garlic.
Heat to boiling and simmer 5 minutes.
Add the ground mustard seed powder ..
Whisk until velvety smooth ..
Add the Evoo and the salt ..
Heat on low slow flame until thickened ..
Pour into sterilised jar and let cool overnight on counter ..
Refrigerate for 2 weeks to age the mustard ..

How I use Dijon Mustard:

On baguette or Sandwiches
In potato salad
Charcuterie ( dip )
With Spanish Patatas Bravas ( spicy chunk potatoes served as a Tapa )
Dijon Traditional French classics

:wave Have a nice day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I have prepared my own Dijon Mustard ( my favorite ) ..

2 Cups French Burgundy White Wine
1 shallot minced finely
1 cup of White ( beige ) mustard seeds crushed into a powder ( Sinapis Alba from the Brassicaceae Mediterranean Yellow Flowers of the plant which produce a pod of sedes and they are ground. They are available via Amazon as well if you shop on line. I buy mine from a French Distributor or The La Mercat de La Boqueria in Barcelona where I reside ..
1 Tablesp of French Bio organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tps of coarse salt
2 cloves minced garlic.

Very simple to prepare ..
In a sauce pan, combine the wine, shallot and garlic.
Heat to boiling and simmer 5 minutes.
Add the ground mustard seed powder ..
Whisk until velvety smooth ..
Add the Evoo and the salt ..
Heat on low slow flame until thickened ..
Pour into sterilised jar and let cool overnight on counter ..
Refrigerate for 2 weeks to age the mustard ..

How I use Dijon Mustard:

On baguette or Sandwiches
In potato salad
Charcuterie ( dip )
With Spanish Patatas Bravas ( spicy chunk potatoes served as a Tapa )
Dijon Traditional French classics
Vinaigrettes / salad dressings

:wave Have a nice day ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:15 pm

Renée,

Cherry Mustard is very easy to make from scratch ..

All you need is a basic mustard recipe from scratch, fresh cherries and red wine and a good quality red wine vinegar or Italian Modena Balsamic ..

It is called Cherry ( cerises ) Moutarda .. There are lots of recipes online ..

I prepare my own Dijon .. I posted it in this thread ..

Have a great day .. Another option is Amazon .. :crossed

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 pm

Sakkarin wrote:Unfortunately mustard oil usually has "for external use only" on the bottle which always worries me, as I cannot be sure whether it has actually been prepared for human consumption, or really is intended for external use only. Apparently they are obliged to put that on to satisfy US food legislation.

I seem to recall that mustard oil was banned for cooking in the EU, US and Canada, mainly because of the side effects from it's high erucic acid content.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_oil . Whether or not that is still the case, I don't know.

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Thank you for your help Alexandria! Maybe I will get around to it one day! Yes, I did look on Amazon and there are plenty of recipes, mostly from American websites.

Postby Joanbunting » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:02 pm

I adore mustard. have made my own and always keep white and black mustard seeds in the store for various recipes. For eg Gujerati carrot salad with balck mustard seeds.

In my fridge/store at the moment I have Dijon
Mutarde a l'ancienne - grain mustard
Tarragon mustard
English powder - how else can you male picallili?
Alace mustard - for choucroute
Violette mustard otherwise known as Moutarde des Papes - brilliant with fish
Beaune mustard - bought recently and contains red wine
Mustard with piment d'espalette - not for the faint herted but brilliant in a rare beef sandwich. -

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox